• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

radiator brazing?

ronin-sj410

I recently put a couple of holes in my radiator from the fan. Theres only a couple of holes to plug. My idea is to braze them closed from the outside using oaw. I would like to get a couple thoughts and ideas on this idea and if anyone has tried this before and what their results were. Thanks in advance.

Copper is easy to deal with, aluminum I have no experience with. Copper I just pinch the opening closed wipe the area with acid flux and heat it up with a propane torch and dab some solder on it. Simple pimple.

I just did that with my copper radiator. I used solder and a propane torch. When doing the tubes it's really easy to get it too hot with O/A. I'll braze the tank but not the tubes.

Yes it is on the tubes. Yes it is brass? Definately not aluminum. Its a factory toyota radiator. Thanks for the tip on NOT using o/a. So with the propane should i use ER brazing rod or the same stuff used on copper pipe?

NO brazing.

Solder only.

Better hope its an OEM toyota radiator.

If its a crappy replacement like a "Performance Radiator" brand then have fun watching all the solder fall out of it if ya get within a foot of it with a lighter.

Solder all the way fold the fins over and solder away. Brazing is way too much heat.. I've soldered a few radiators from cracks, holes, loose fittings everything..

HELL YEAH!!!....simple pimple. Just finished soldering. Leak test is showing positive signs, next up pressure test.:awesomework:
IMAG0815.jpg

Last edited:
HELL YEAH!!!....simple pimple. Just finished soldering. Leak test is showing positive signs, next up pressure test.:awesomework:
IMAG0815.jpg

easy way to pressure test if the radiator is out. Take a bicycle inner tube and cut opposite the valve stem. Clamp the ends to intake and outlet and inflate to 15-29 pounds.