• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Random Squeak, Duramax

scjustin

My tow rig is a 2008 Duramax, it has developed a random squeaking/squealing noise. It seems to be worse when I turn to the left but is now starting to do it when just driving straight at well. I jacked up the front end this morning and checked to see if there was any slop in the wheel bearings but both felt nice and tight. Ive layed under the truck and had somebody turn the steering wheel and listened while the truck ran but cant seem to figure it. :dunno: These random noises drive me crazy so any ideas are appreciated!

well, went ahead and ordered 2 Timken wheel and hub assemblies from summit, going to change them out tomorrow and hope that's the issue. :fish:

Ball joints ?

You can poke a small hole in the boot and squirt WD40 in. If it quits, needs ball joints or tie rod ends

Re: Re: Random Squeak, Duramax

LightBnDr said:
Ball joints ?

You can poke a small hole in the boot and squirt WD40 in. If it quits, needs ball joints or tie rod ends
Why wouldn't you just grease them?

I grease all 11 grease points on my front end every time I change the oil.

Weird. I suggest Layin down under truck. Getting a good grip on a arms and stick your feet up in skid. Have buddy drive really fast down the road while you hold on and listen. Lemme know how it goes. Ha. Naw really you shoulda got a 07 Lbz. :flipoff1:

TBItoy said:
Why wouldn't you just grease them?

I grease all 11 grease points on my front end every time I change the oil.
OEM IFS ball joints are non greaseable along with outer tie rod ends. Edit: so for online etiquette I guess I throw in a question mark or an "I'm pretty sure" so I don't come off as a ****. Lol

The hole poke and WD is a quick isolation trick

Re: Re: Random Squeak, Duramax

LightBnDr said:
OEM IFS ball joints are non greaseable along with outer tie rod ends. Edit: so for online etiquette I guess I throw in a question mark or an "I'm pretty sure" so I don't come off as a ****. Lol

Nope.

All mine are greasable, along with the 3 duramax trucks my dad has owned, and the one my buddy owned.

Upper/lower ball joints, inner /outer tie rod ends, idler arm, idler arm ball joint, pitman arm ball joint. 11 zerks.

All of the 1/2 ton trucks have around 2 zerks, but the guys above are right...the 2500's should have 11 as shown below...

zerks_1.jpg

zerks_2.jpg

zerks_3.jpg

zerks_4.jpg

zerks_5.jpg

Justin...I would imagine that the squeak would most likely be the ball joints and or the idler arm. If its actually squealing like you described then it could be the wheel bearings I suppose. Easiest way to check bearings and ball joints is to jack it up and then use a pry bar under the tire and try to lift it up while watching for movement that shouldn't be there. One tire should be on the ground...only one in the air.

Is it a squeak or a very slight knock/rattle? The are bad for the steering shaft to make noise under the drivers side.

LightBnDr said:

Not a ****, just a dumbass :rolf:

It's ok though, I hate being wrong when I could have sworn I knew something. Seems to happen a lot :****:

I just remember reading that almost every rig that ran black flag in Moab had 42" red labels. And all stated for the record that they didn't see how they could have made it without them

Hey but also, I was clearly ill informed about the 1/2 tons vs 3/4. I shouldn't even try to answer a suggestion in these threads. I mean really, to diagnose a noise based on someone's inexperience in describing sounds and locations of them, I set myself up for failure. Lol

In the end it's just better to order $1k in parts then ask questions later. . . .

Ninjas is trippin