• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Random wiring curiosity

Nuzzy

So this last weekend as I was putting the rig back together, I got to wondering...

What is the absolute LEAST amount of wiring I could have and still have a running vehicle...?

(I in no way am touching my wiring now, but the thought crept in there as I was tieing wires out of the way that I know I won't ever be using)

I'm talking everything. No headlights, turn signals, gauges, etc. What are the bare essentials needed to run?

-Engine is propane injected so I need one wire for that.
-Alternator is a 1 wire style.

Discuss.

tie the alternator to the ignition system and the propane and bump start it :redneck: (yes I know there are a few other things needed)

You need switched power for the alternator, 'pane shut off valve (if equipped with solenoid not vacuum switch) and ignition. A push button/ momentary switch for the starter. Run the battery cable off the alternator to the starter main lug then on to the battery and ground the battery to the frame. Be sure to ground teh body and engine separately too so everything is well grounded.

You need switched power for the alternator, 'pane shut off valve (if equipped with solenoid not vacuum switch) and ignition. A push button/ momentary switch for the starter. Run the battery cable off the alternator to the starter main lug then on to the battery and ground the battery to the frame. Be sure to ground teh body and engine separately too so everything is well grounded.

But what all is need for the ignition system? What is the least amount of computing I could get away with and run (i.e. most mechanical)

Obviously spark plugs need spark. What all would be upstream from that?

6 spark plugs <---6 wires--- Distributer <----(X) wires---- ??? <-----(X) wires <----- ???

I know next to nothing about ignition systems. In fact, that's prolly being generous.

But what all is need for the ignition system? What is the least amount of computing I could get away with and run (i.e. most mechanical)

Obviously spark plugs need spark. What all would be upstream from that?

6 spark plugs <---6 wires--- Distributer <----(X) wires---- ??? <-----(X) wires <----- ???

I know next to nothing about ignition systems. In fact, that's prolly being generous.

that depends on what you have for ignition. If you are running the factory mopar stuff what all is there between the coil and distributor? Isn't there a "brain box" in there? If you want simple either swap to pertronix or a GM style HEI setup from DUI electronics. Single wire from a switch and either will run.

Bring it over...I'll hook ya up :redneck:

I bet you just wanna wire my horn into my brake pedal switch :haha:

that depends on what you have for ignition. If you are running the factory mopar stuff what all is there between the coil and distributor? Isn't there a "brain box" in there? If you want simple either swap to pertronix or a GM style HEI setup from DUI electronics. Single wire from a switch and either will run.

Well yes, I have a brain in there now. But with one of those other systems, am I understanding correctly that they can run off of 1 wire? So in a basic example, I could have the rig run on 3 wires (1 to alt, 1 to propane solenoid, 1 to Pertronix or HEI ignition)?

I bet you just wanna wire my horn into my brake pedal switch :haha:

Well yes, I have a brain in there now. But with one of those other systems, am I understanding correctly that they can run off of 1 wire? So in a basic example, I could have the rig run on 3 wires (1 to alt, 1 to propane solenoid, 1 to Pertronix or HEI ignition)?

1. Alternator to starter main lug to battery +

Offshoot from battery lug to fuse panel

2. Fuse panel to switch to propane solenoid

3. Fuse panel to switch to ignition

4. Fuse panel to starter solenoid

Ground the living fawk out of everything and it'll live for years and years.

Very intriguing...

I've already had one electrical fire way back when I first got the jeep after the battery arced to a whole run of wires. Much of the wiring in it now doesn't work right, and most is cobbled together. The plan for now is to get on the trail within the next 2 months if not sooner. However, in the future I'd like to simplify in my efforts to maintain a very basic rig. Only the basics wired in, but all wired correctly and without compromise or shortcuts. Head lights, rock lights, basic gauges, and maybe stereo. :cool:

1. Alternator to starter main lug to battery +

Offshoot from battery lug on starter to fuse panel

2. Fuse panel to switch to propane solenoid

3. Fuse panel to switch to ignition

4. Fuse panel to starter solenoid

Ground the living fawk out of everything and it'll live for years and years.

Fixed...

Honestly for what you are wanting to do I'd grab a decent fuse panel such as THIS second from the bottom of the page and run everything off of it. I'd run the power off of the starter up to that block under the dash and be done with it.

For what you are wanting to do I'd do it now rather that deal with the bs you have to deal with... :;