• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

RE-ntal

Hey! I'm back with progress after a 1 month hiatus. Last I had developed some fine non-functonable rear shock mounts and suffred a case of fab burnout. But now I'm back with progress.

So the rear shock mounts needed to be changed due to masive shock-to-bolt interfernce. Fortunatly I was just tacking everything together so removing the old mounts was a breeze. I came up with a new design that pushes the shocks up about 2.5 inches and in a inch, I also added some speed holes so it didnt look so plain and it will go faster.

No more hiting the bolts :cheer:

100_0976.jpg

Inside view of new rear brackets

100_0977.jpg

Next I needed a way to make upper shock mounts. I wanted to bend a 180deg hoop and atatch the shocks to that but after holding my 180 mockup piece up for a few hours I decided I hated it. I ended up with a bent tube that spans the rear tubes, now the problem with this is the tube is 1.5" wide, and the shock with spacers is 2.5" wide. Lucky me I just got a new job where I have acess to a press break so I made...

100_0971.jpg

Mmmm... me likey
100_0972.jpg

So after all that I finaly got to do a final articulation test with the actual shocks, not my mockup ones to make sure everything clears before I weld it out.

100_0979.jpg

Oh yeah! she fine. do welds, son.

Now on to the front. I squared up the front axle and got it all set where it needs to be. I whiped up some upper link mounts and atatched them to the axle and that funny jog I put in the frame (I said it was there for a reson :D )

I ended up angling the front link towers forward a lot, this was a problem because I wanted to do shock mounts the same as in the rear, but with the shocks to the outside and above the towers, call in aformentioned press break again and a few hours of brain teasing design and layout and I now have...

100_0973.jpg

speeeeed holes :D

100_0975.jpg

100_0974.jpg

These should angle the shocks back about 7deg, I'm realy pleased with how they turned out. Now to figure the lower links so the pas side dosnt hit the d-line :eeek: gona be reeeeeel close. Fortunatley I posess the power to make whatever diamiter d-line I want. :D

ABOUT TIME YOU POST NEW PICS UP ! NEED NEW SKIN ON THE SUPER FIGURE 8 CAR YOU KNOW ANYBODY ?:fawkdancesmiley: :awesomework:

ABOUT TIME YOU POST NEW PICS UP ! NEED NEW SKIN ON THE SUPER FIGURE 8 CAR YOU KNOW ANYBODY ?:fawkdancesmiley: :awesomework:

I ALREADY TALKED TO YOU ABOUT SKINS FOR THE F8 CAR, YOU TROGLODITE!!

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :fawkdancesmiley: :kiss:

now ya just need a set of dimple dies for them speed holes.......

If you can find me a set of dimple dies that will dimple 1/4 I will be more than happy to buy them :D

Oh, and not require a 500 ton press :redneck:

One of our press brakes at work is an old Wysong that is all mechanical and runs off a "giant" flywheel/clutch set-up. Drop that badboy from the top and it would dimple 1/4":redneck: If not It'd sure be exciting:beer:

One of our press brakes at work is an old Wysong that is all mechanical and runs off a "giant" flywheel/clutch set-up. Drop that badboy from the top and it would dimple 1/4":redneck: If not It'd sure be exciting:beer:

Those breaks are awsome. I've worked at a few shops with them. If you smash them in to something too hard they bind up and nothing good hapens, watched a guy bind up a 200 ton mechanical press in Yakima, whoops, :haha:

Those breaks are awsome. I've worked at a few shops with them. If you smash them in to something too hard they bind up and nothing good hapens, watched a guy bind up a 200 ton mechanical press in Yakima, whoops, :haha:

was his name E.T.:haha:

The suspension be all done and she's a roller :D

Front linkys at ride height

100_0983.jpg

Twist testing to make sure it all clears. It needs a highpinion diff.

100_0981.jpg

100_0982.jpg

weld weld weld.

After building the shock hoops for the front, rough cutting some holes in the hood and welding everything out, I put the fake shocks on and rolled it outside for some poser shots

100_0987.jpg

100_0988.jpg

100_0989.jpg

Tube'y front, much nicer than a frame and fenderwhells :D

100_0993.jpg

Front link bracketry

100_0991.jpg

100_0992.jpg

I also had a lot of free time at work yesterday so I bent up a stainless batery tray and holddown

100_0994.jpg

But most importantly Colin aproves.

100_0986.jpg

With the 37's on it it has 19" belly clearnce, 72" to the highst point of the cage and a 106" wb