• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Re-venge YJ Tons Swap

Don't think I've seen a lower shock mounted that way before but it's slick and what length shocks are those. I'm about to order mine here before long
And damn you work quick

Don't think I've seen a lower shock mounted that way before but it's slick and what length shocks are those. I'm about to order mine here before long
And damn you work quick
Thanks man. I went with 14's all the way around. Someone showed me some lower mounts that bolt into that location using a single ½" bolt. Wasn't real keen on trusting that but realized I could easily weld them onto the C since it's cast steel. Worked out really well and have plenty of clearance to the tire when flexed.

I have those shock mounts currently and I don't trust em for coilovers plus I think I'm gonna shove my axle forward. I figured 14"s were the ticket Thanks

I have those shock mounts currently and I don't trust em for coilovers plus I think I'm gonna shove my axle forward. I figured 14"s were the ticket Thanks
Yeah, like I said, 1 bolt seems sketchy but the bolt plus welding it should be plenty fine. Realistically, limit straps should keep anything from pulling the mounts off but this rig won't get that classy treatment just yet

How do you plan on mounting ur ram? Single or double ended. I have a similar truss and trying get some ideas.

How do you plan on mounting ur ram? Single or double ended. I have a similar truss and trying get some ideas.
8" Double ended. I'm using TMR's universal ram mount. Haven't even messed with it yet. Still need to do the gears and I'm pretty sure the mount will get in the way of the case spreader so I'll just mount it after gears. Then I can throw some paint on it and slap in back under for good.

I know, I know. Probably the most revolutionary jeep cage design. But y'all have my permission to take some inspiration if ya want. Obviously, it'll get more tubes but I needed to get at least this far to build the rear upper shock mounts.
20210313_220610.jpg

Got lucky with where the cage lined up on the underside. Was able to tie into the factory body mounts. Should make things just a touch stronger. Still need to do the ones under the A pillar. I imagine they're going to suck since the frame is so far inboard from where the cage will translate through.
20210314_181400.jpg

I'm in middle of 4 linking my junk so I got a couple questions since you did a bad ass job. How long are your links and how far forward did ya shove your axle.

I'm in middle of 4 linking my junk so I got a couple questions since you did a bad ass job. How long are your links and how far forward did ya shove your axle.
On the front, uppers are about 30", lowers are 29". Rear, uppers are 33", lowers are 30". Front axle is 33" in front of the firewall to the center of the axle. Honestly, I would've liked to have the links a little longer but was trying not to rebuild the whole damn thing so this is what worked while still leaving a little room for the exhaust to slip by.

Was pretty much done with the cage. Then after mounting the harness bar, decided I didn't like the seats being that high. Currently working on dropping them down about 4". Also will give me something to mount the console side of the lap belts to.
20210411_170938.jpg
20210410_150757.jpg
20210410_150531.jpg

On the front, uppers are about 30", lowers are 29". Rear, uppers are 33", lowers are 30". Front axle is 33" in front of the firewall to the center of the axle. Honestly, I would've liked to have the links a little longer but was trying not to rebuild the whole damn thing so this is what worked while still leaving a little room for the exhaust to slip by.
Thanks man. I tried keeping my axle in it's original location and had links at 25". Way too short, didn't wanna mess with driveshaft but looks like I'm gonna, plus my exhaust was gonna be a nightmare and I just built all new last year. Hopefully by moving it forward I only have to redo one side. That thing looks good with that trim job too btw. Thanks again

No problem man. I basically just pushed the front until the truss cleared the crank pulley. Of course, that'll be different for most people depending on what setup you're running. I'm not even done yet but if I were doing it again, I'd probably raise the engine up a couple of inches and rebuild the front half of the frame. Really would've liked to get the lowers flatter but without going through the work I just mentioned, I'd be stuck with only a few inches of uptravel.

1 pic update, steering column is in. Cage is done but I'm going to have to pull it outside since my ceiling is low. So new plan of attack is to raise the body to finish welding the link mounts, then pull the axles, regear, weld the links and paint all of that. Then I should be able to actually drive the jeep out of the garage, pull the cage, weld out and paint, reinstall and be done. I guess brake lines will happen in between somewhere.
20210422_202421.jpg

Another 1 pic update. Axles regeared to 5.38 and painted. Finished welding up all of the links and brackets, also blasted them with some paint. Front axle and suspension are mounted along with the steering. Built the front driveshaft. Really need to get this cage out to finish welding it out and paint it. Then I can throw on the rear shocks, seats, harnesses and start mounting the fuel cell. Starting to regret mounting the rear shocks to the cage but oh well. And yes, she's tall. 5' at the hood.
20210521_185421.jpg

Progress looks great and your one picture updates cover quite a bit of work!

I think y'all should win the award for "Most Changed" at Harlan in October.

Latest posts