• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Re-venge YJ Tons Swap

Time for another semi-annual update. Cage has paint. So fresh it still looks shiny. Went with satin black this time. Was recently touching up the axles on the buggy and used some satin, looks much nicer imo. Also got all the springs on but everything was sitting way tall so new springs should be here this weekend. No front frame chop so it can only sit so low but I at least want the shocks sitting at 50/50 travel. Rear was damn near 10" of shaft showing.
20210601_195439.jpg

Seats and harnesses are in as well as the fuel cell. Was able to reuse most of the old hoses. Just need to make the return and vent lines. Steering is all plumbed finally. Started on the exhaust. The original setup was real close to fitting but not quite there. Still trying to decide exactly how I want to run it. I only have 2.5" pipe. The old way was just both banks running into a single 2.5" with a muffler. I might be able to run each bank separately and have both pipes dump out the side somewhere. Also swapped out the springs and got the ride height down to where it should be.
20210621_153801.jpg
20210621_153818.jpg
20210621_154059.jpg

20210606_171606.jpg

Exhaust is routed, just need to weld it up and make a hanger or 2. Rear driveshaft is built. Got a used one from my french connection and shortened it 2". Also finished the fuel plumbing and actually fired it up. Doesn't sound too bad at all. Currently working on bleeding the steering. Of course, I forgot to prefill the ram so it's gonna take a while.

20210626_170347.jpg
20210626_170324.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds and looks good!
Thanks dude!

I actually went ahead and threw the front fenders back on. Basically just had to cut out the inner portion and notch for the shocks. Time will tell if they stay. I know for sure that they'll need some trimming but hopefully it's not so much that they lose all of their integrity. Aside from filling in that big gap in front of the firewall, they also remedy some mounting issues with the radiator and battery tray. But if they're just getting cut to nothing or look like they'll get bashed then I guess they'll have to go.
20210627_165137.jpg
20210628_092741.jpg
20210628_092706.jpg

Hoping to be able to drive it out of the garage this week so at the very least, I can do a big cleanup in the garage. Currently a major disaster area that, if nothing else, is pita to work in and "find that wrench that was just in my hand 5 ****ing seconds ago".

Also, anti-squat seems to be through the roof. She fit out the garage door, but rubbed going back in. Unfortunately, I'm already maxed out on reducing AS without changing the brackets.

Real time updates here today. Flex test went well. Only interference I found (other than the front fenders) was the front driveshaft likes to get friendly with one of the link bolts. Looks like ditching some of the extra threads will do the trick. As for the fenders, I'm surprised how well they cleared. Definitely gonna lose the front cap but otherwise, might just need a little cutting on the vertical faces on the sides. Steering still has no less than 80 cubic feet of air in it but hopefully that'll work it's way out. No bubbles in the res though...
20210702_173504.jpg
20210702_173440.jpg
20210702_173224.jpg
20210702_172925.jpg
20210702_172953.jpg

Looks great flexed out and was fixing to say the same thing about flipping that bolt around.
Thanks man. There's at least a part of me that's not looking forward to fighting with that bolt either coming out or going back in. I've got 2 days to think about it.

Also, anti-squat seems to be through the roof. She fit out the garage door, but rubbed going back in. Unfortunately, I'm already maxed out on reducing AS without changing the brackets.
Can you not use the lower holes in the axle side upper link mounts?

Latest posts