• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

rear locker drivability

slidillon

I finally got my rear locker installed and took the jeep out for a test drive. I expected it to drive a little different, but it pulls pretty hard to the right when I accelerate. It also kind of falls back to the left when I let off the gas. Is this normal, or is it just telling me that I need a front end alignement?

I finally got my rear locker installed and took the jeep out for a test drive. I expected it to drive a little different, but it pulls pretty hard to the right when I accelerate. It also kind of falls back to the left when I let off the gas. Is this normal, or is it just telling me that I need a front end alignement?

Make SURE the air pressure in the two rear tires is as close to identical as you can.

Then just learn to drive with it. :D

Assuming its a detroit or some other gear type locker thats normal watch yourself getting on the gas in a tight corner as well or you might find yourself going the wrong way. Just takes a while to learn the quirks then it will be fine:cheer:

OK, so nothing to out of the ordinary. Thanks! It didn't help that I hadn't driven the thing in 5 weeks either, but that's a whole 'nother story.

I have the Detroit Locker in mine. Takes a little while to get used to it. Being that I have a really short wheel base, it makes it even worse. I've found if you make sure your spring bushings and steering are in good shape it really helps.

I have the Detroit Locker in mine. Takes a little while to get used to it. Being that I have a really short wheel base, it makes it even worse. I've found if you make sure your spring bushings and steering are in good shape it really helps.

nothing like have some sloppy TRE's and a rear ratchet locker... makes driving to the runs even more eventful. Your problem sounds relatively normal. Learn to love it. :awesomework:

I have a detroit in the rear of mine. If the tire pressures are off its has torque steer like a mofo. If there are the same its not so bad.

i got a detroit in the rear of my truck and it handles really nice unless i unload on it in a sharp corner... but if im on the free way i have no problem going start if i let or get back on the gas.
Could be that my wheel base is 115in's and my truck weighs 6000lbs

i got a detroit in the rear of my truck and it handles really nice unless i unload on it in a sharp corner... but if im on the free way i have no problem going start if i let or get back on the gas.
Could be that my wheel base is 115in's and my truck weighs 6000lbs

yes, wheelbase will make a huge difference with the way a rig will handle

I checked rear tire pressure. They were a little low and about 4 PSI apart.

Put all four tires at 34 PSI and I'll see how it goes. I'm sure I'll get used to it soon enough. Thanks for all the input.

Totally normal in a Jeep...

When it unloads it will feel like someone just rearended you in a ricer.

Now add a V8 to go with that rear Detroit and be ready from some real fun on the street :redneck:

Tire wear is crucial too.
If you have a bunch of miles on your tires, then add a Detroit, you'll have more rear end movement (like Crusty after a hot wing and jalapeno smorgasborg).
To check actual tire circumference, air both rear tires to exactly the same PSI using a good gauge. Use chalk to mark down the sidewall of each rear tire and onto the pavement. Roll the tire 1 full revolution until each sidewall mark hits the ground again, and mark the ground. Measure the distance between the 2 marks and get your actual tire curcumference. Detroits (and other auto lockers) are always locked until the outside tire is allowed to unlock and navigate a corner. Equal distance tire circumference is crucial to decent handling.
Another frequent problem on TJs is suspension geometry. It is commonly known that TJ brackets were factory welded by monkeys smoking meth. Long arm kits can be a cause too as most people just make the bolt go through the heim instead of measuring arm lengths. In either case, a good 4 wheel alignment can really make a big diffference.

Good info Digger. The tires are practically brand new so I think I'm good to go there. I will drive it for a while and see if I still think it needs an alignment.

Latest posts