• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Rear steer. Hydraulic/electric

bsfor

I've searched but I need help. I have rear steer setup with a hydraulic - electric motor that was for a dump bed that supposed to have power up , power down, and position hold. I hooked it up without modification and it randomly steers without input. I think maybe I'm missing something. If I turn it right it is solid with no play. If I turn it left in goes left but has a little give back to the right. What am I missing.
40957830bcc8dac31cdc55d186a91736.jpg
3289f820d7759b5f9c1397dff4437895.jpg
d9d85dff3a4ec4a9541f4d7fc90ef6f6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Wrong setup. I had the same thing. The single solenoid turn the motor in the same direction all the time and you have a diversion valve that changes the direction of flow for left and right steer. You need two solenoids, to turn the motor in different directions. the diversion valve takes a millisecond to close and it allows fluid th backup before it closes, hence the kickback for the other direction. the diversion valve also won't hold pressure, hence the random steering. I could mash on my rig real hard and it would steer all the way one way. I changed to a setup with two solenoids, problem solved.

halcat said:
Wrong setup. I had the same thing. The single solenoid turn the motor in the same direction all the time and you have a diversion valve that changes the direction of flow for left and right steer. You need two solenoids, to turn the motor in different directions. the diversion valve takes a millisecond to close and it allows fluid th backup before it closes, hence the kickback for the other direction. the diversion valve also won't hold pressure, hence the random steering. I could mash on my rig real hard and it would steer all the way one way. I changed to a setup with two solenoids, problem solved.
yep your right on that. The rig I had had one solinoid and it would wander down the road at speed and scare the **** of of you at times :eek:

Thanks guys, so i have no clue how to wire that. What all will i need to make it work. Any help would be appreciated.

What kind of amp draw does that thing have ? Seems like a big motor/winch size...

You have to feed the solenoids hot with a trigger wire from a three way self centered switch. GOOGLE!!!!!!

Re: Re: Rear steer. Hydraulic/electric

halcat said:
You have to feed the solenoids hot with a trigger wire from a three way self centered switch. GOOGLE!!!!!!
I did GOOGLE. Please tell me this isn't turning into another pirate forum. When everytime you ask for help from peers and people who know all you get is SEARCH or GOOGLE. What is so bad about asking questions on a forum.

fo·rum

?fôr?m/

noun

a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

halcat said:
But thanks for taking the time to reply.

Wiring it is pretty simple once you wrap your head around what needs to happen. I can't tell what setup you have from the pics but this may help.

Imagine the fluid going to a "T" once the pump spins. On each side of the "T" you have a valve that is not allowing fluid until it opens assuming it's a normally closed valve. So when you send a signal to the pump to run you also send a signal to either valve depending on the direction you want the fluid to travel. At the same time you have the fluid in the opposite side of the cylinder that will need to travel back to the tank to allow the cylinder to travel the other direction. There are some fork lift pumps out there that will do this in one valve assembly but it can be done with 4 single action valves also. There are pump blocks with all of this built in also.

Sorry. If you want it to work right, you will need to get a Granger setup with two solenoids. That pump will have a control switch in the box. It will have a wiring diagram with it. You will need some 2-0 battery cables as this unit will pull about two hundred amps at times. You will feed the main terminal with these cables and the trigger wire will come from the hand held switch, which you will want to take apart and mount on your console. The trigger wire closes the solenoid and the motor turn, which ever direction the solenoid tells it to, turning the pump. All the paperwork will be in the box.

halcat said:
Sorry. If you want it to work right, you will need to get a Granger setup with two solenoids. That pump will have a control switch in the box. It will have a wiring diagram with it. You will need some 2-0 battery cables as this unit will pull about two hundred amps at times. You will feed the main terminal with these cables and the trigger wire will come from the hand held switch, which you will want to take apart and mount on your console. The trigger wire closes the solenoid and the motor turn, which ever direction the solenoid tells it to, turning the pump. All the paperwork will be in the box.
Thanks. I bought this about 3 years ago and don't have the paperwork but what you say makes sense. Thank you