• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Recommend a power steering cooler

ROKRIG

425KRAWLERZ
I'm looking to add a compact but effective cooler to my single ended ram hydraulic steering system. I noticed several brands available as well as different types (i.e. double pass, quadruple pass finned types, cylindrical, etc). I'd be interested in knowing what those of you with limited space and hydraulic steering set-up's have used/are using with success?

Thank you in advance,

Terry

Just a typical tubular style--like what jason posted (link).

I have been running one off a 00' silverado, not real big(tubular style) with no issues.

With a hydro-assist system would a thinner cooler do the trick? I have been running a moroso straight through aluminum one and have been getting overheating problems. In the middle of redoing my steering setup now and am trying to figure out how big of one I need to try and cram in there. One like this would fit perfect if it would work

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...4294839034+4294888847+400226+115&autoview=sku

but I would have to rework a bunch to get the heavy duty 1.5" thick one in there

I use this to cool the PSC setup in my car.....works good.Most of the time I can grab and hold my steering valve comfortably.......the only time I can't is if I'm really flogging away on something for a while then the **** heats up but thats to be expected.

I "may" switch to a larger plate cooler with a fan attached but not sure were I would put it and this setup has worked sooooo........

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=BMM%2D70265&N=700+4294924500+4294839034+115&autoview=sku

I use this to cool the PSC setup in my car.....works good.Most of the time I can grab and hold my steering valve comfortably.......the only time I can't is if I'm really flogging away on something for a while then the **** heats up but thats to be expected.

I "may" switch to a larger plate cooler with a fan attached but not sure were I would put it and this setup has worked sooooo........

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=BMM%2D70265&N=700+4294924500+4294839034+115&autoview=sku

I have about the same thing but it's a oil cooler of a 89 V30 crew cab with fittings tig welded to it.

I have a plate cooler similar to what mauler posted up, It works good and takes up little room.

I think the single best thing ive done for my hydro steering was switching to amsoil synthetic hydro fluid.

I run psc's cylinder style with the heat sinks.I've done one run with it and damn thing gets really hot but so does the the other psc components.Does any one run one of these coolers?

I run psc's cylinder style with the heat sinks.I've done one run with it and damn thing gets really hot but so does the the other psc components.Does any one run one of these coolers?

I ran one of those in my previous buggy and it seemed like it specialized in getting REALLY hot.....yes it's a heatsink but it seemed more like a heatsoak and I don't think it did as good of job cooling as a small radiator whether it be tub and fin or plate.

I'd switch to a radiator style cooler

I ran one of those in my previous buggy and it seemed like it specialized in getting REALLY hot.....yes it's a heatsink but it seemed more like a heatsoak and I don't think it did as good of job cooling as a small radiator whether it be tub and fin or plate.

The PSC style works--but you are correct. You get better heat transfer when the fluid is in a smaller area vs in a larger one like the PSC style.

Good to know, I was gona machine one up but wont bother now.

Terry it never got to warm with amsoil ATF in it, but a cooler definately wont hurt it. what did you switch too. i seem to remember you saying you were going to change it to what psc recommended. there was a cooler for it hooked to the radiator that wasnt plumbed in, cant remember if i left it on there or not.

It was the first run out so I don't know if it will cool more over time,I believe I got most the air out it has a little hum to it but it doesnt get louder while turning into obsticles.I did find you need to put a zip tie on the breather tube on to of the psc res.because when it got warm it blew off.

That's the style I am switching away from. My fluid would be so hot I couldn't touch any part of the steering system after any sort of workout

Latest posts