• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

redneck engineering?

JakeD

Total newb here. (My apologies ahead of time.)

New to the off road world and am in posession of a bone stock 95 wrangler.

I toook it off road up to Reiter a few weeks ago, and needless to say, performance was NOT what I would have liked. It was fun, but I would like just a little something more out of her.

I am on a serious budget and am wondering, what mods will give me the best bang for the buck?

Tires are a given... But what (were talking brand names) would be my best investment for the least amount of money.

I am mechanically inclined, (by the way, the transmission is connected to the skidplate on jeeps, I found that one out the hard way.) and so I am not scared of doing these things by myself.

and.... the other question is... Where do you get rubber plugs for the floor pan? the jerkoff this thing came from decided it would go faster without them (or something like that).

Interesting first post.

So, first, Welcome to NWW. You should post up in the INTRODUCTIONS.

Secondly, the rubber plugs missing from the floorboards typically a dealer item only, although sometimes body shops have them. And I've always been the guy who removes them, as it allows the water to drain out of my YJ that way. Just throw a Schucks special rubber mat over the floor.

Thirdly, your 'TECH' questions are rather vague, but if I had a bone stock YJ or TJ, the first thing I'd acquire, are a spare set of rear axle shafts, as they are notoriously prone to breakage, and will leave you stranded quite quickly. After that, a set of 33 inch mud tires, followed by a high-lift jack, first aid kit, mud flaps (cop repellant), and maybe a winch. Then, I'd probably join a club to learn the areas and then pick up from the club members what you want to modify next.

TreeClimber

Last edited:
x2 on everything treeclimber said, plus mabey a lock-right. If you've got a 4 cylinder things should survive a while, I never broke a shaft before upgrading axles. Consider starting with a harbor freight winch, for $300 it will save yer ass until your more built to never get stuck. Find a cheapo used full size spare too. If you really want drain plugs you can have mine if I can find em.

X2 on what Jobless said.

Also, if you still have the stock suspension, you'll have issues with clearance with the body in general. At a least, 2.5 inch lift springs will be neccessary along with minor fender trimming. Simply remove the flairs, using a sawzall, jigsaw, grinder, shears, nibbler or other suitable metal cutting device, trim the fenders up as far as you can. Then redrill the holes for the flairs, and re-install. This will fit tires up to 35s. If you aren't into fender trimming, you can install a lift in the 4-5 inch range -or- find/modify/install a spring over axle suspension using your existing factory springs. That'll net around 4-5 inches of lift typically. Be aware that SOA (spring over axle) comes with it's own set of issues.

T

You and I are in the same boat. I got my 95 YJ last year, and am also on a tight budget.

The first thing I bought was a set of 30" BFG All terrains. Great tire, but I will go for the mud terrains next time. Probably going to 32s or 33s in the future.

The second mods were recovery points front and rear. Being stock you'll need to be tugged out often. I recommend clevis shackles instead of tow hooks. Less chance of a strap coming off and becoming a deadly projectile.

I should have gotten some rocker armor before I went out. Now I have a "custom" pasenger side rocker panel.:haha:

Future plans include a 4" RE lift, SYE, CV driveshaft, and more armor.

Welcome and have fun.:awesomework: