• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Reiter Map from focus meeting

Ty makes alot of good points.

My little Sami's on 35's will go alot of places with a little finesse that some toolshed that don't know how to drive, even on 40's, won't.
That said--you won't find me trying to attempt anything close to a trail of the Outlet Mall's difficulty. I tend to walk a trail first if I have any doubt that I should be there.

If a trail is gonna have 5' walls/drops, why not just make the gatekeeper totally impassable for a vehicle that shouldn't be there. From what I've seen, most of the buggy guys can recover a rig from just about anywhere, if the gatekeeper had a verticle wall on the entry side and a good slope on the backside, one would still be able to drag a carcass out.

If a trail is gonna have 5' walls/drops, why not just make the gatekeeper totally impassable for a vehicle that shouldn't be there. From what I've seen, most of the buggy guys can recover a rig from just about anywhere, if the gatekeeper had a verticle wall on the entry side and a good slope on the backside, one would still be able to drag a carcass out.

I think you get it.:awesomework:

How about ecology blocks? Rebar and Epoxy them together so they can't be dragged away. Maybe use 1 high with 3 or 4 rows deep like maybe a total of 10 blocks? Wouldn't that keep most people out except Buggys? There are already a ton of these blocks up there and there wouldn't be fabbing of metal contraptions like the first concept.(Which I also like) :D

How about ecology blocks? Rebar and Epoxy them together so they can't be dragged away. Maybe use 1 high with 3 or 4 rows deep like maybe a total of 10 blocks? Wouldn't that keep most people out except Buggys? There are already a ton of these blocks up there and there wouldn't be fabbing of metal contraptions like the first concept.(Which I also like) :D

I like the idea of incorporating ecology blocks.:awesomework:
Maybe I'm misunderstanding things but I think the idea is to have different types/ shapes of gate keepers due to the different types/ shapes of trails. I don't think anyone wants to "keep people out" of any trails but limit travel of rigs who may get into a trail over their heads and cause damage to the trail getting through.
I'm not a big fan of limiting tire size for any rigs, big, small, wide, or whatever........MAYBE it's sometimes needed though?

I would rather have natural gate keepers too. The problem I have with natural gate keepers is they change alot. Anyplace where soil is used the soil moves and the gate keeper will change, 3 man rocks get moved, things like that. And in most cases the gate keeper gets easier over time, or people will make it easier.

I bet the pumkin clearence on a sami on 31s is close to the same as a dana 60 with 39s. And yes I know a tire at 2 psi compared to 10 psi is going to change that alot but we have to look at that.

The gate was just a thought, it wont change over time. You could make it so it will force a rig to flex, or to have two tires in the air to keep the open diff rigs out.

This is just an idea, please add your own :awesomework: I know this one has some big limitations.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding things but I think the idea is to have different types/ shapes of gate keepers due to the different types/ shapes of trails. I don't think anyone wants to "keep people out" of any trails but limit travel of rigs who may get into a trail over their heads and cause damage to the trail getting through.
I'm not a big fan of limiting tire size for any rigs, big, small, wide, or whatever........MAYBE it's sometimes needed though?

I like it :awesomework: THis is my thoughts on it.

For areas like the OM, it should be HEAVILY blocked in my opinion.

Maybe for others trails you could dig a hole and set the eco-blocks lower so less modified rigs could make it through. I dunno, just s thought since these are probably easier to obtain and less fab work and upkeep. Steel rusts...

no matter what kind of gate keeper you have.. people won't learn.

That is where you are wrong. Folks will learn. You might be the 1st one.:hi:

For instance: I (and a few others) was bound and determined to wheel BYS/SOL after Reiter closed. But......I pulled my head out of my ass (learned:;) and stayed home.

We ALL learn, my friend.

no matter what kind of gate keeper you have.. peopel won't learn.
http://www.streetfire.net/video/rodzillax3hotmailcom-gate-keeper-in-idaho_60567.htm

The problem with that gate keeper is it will change over time. You might make it one week and 2 weeks later somebody had dug it out and you can no longer make it.

The idea is to make it to much work to get thru it.

Option would be spend 1 hour getting thru the gate keeper or go run a differnt trail.

Most people are going to go to the differnt trail but the ones that want to spend the time, let them at least the gate keeper would not care if you want to beat your rig on it for a few hours trying to make it over it.

The next guy waiting to run the trail might care.:mad:

And this is the time when you can educate the person on the gate keeper, and you may warn them that they really dont want to go in there. At least then you can laugh at them when they are stuck later.