• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Rock bouncer front axle beef???

bbone said:
So does this mean the WOD/EOR c's/knuckles have competition ?
I know either eor or wod's set can be had for under 2k. The other was slightly more.
I'd say it depends on the final price point. Also, I'm not sure if anyone has found a way to change the 05+ lug pattern to 8x6.5 without spacers or uberexpensive spidertrax gear.

Beerj said:
I'd say it depends on the final price point. Also, I'm not sure if anyone has found a way to change the 05+ lug pattern to 8x6.5 without spacers or uberexpensive spidertrax gear.

What if the 8x170mm pattern became the standard??? Mind blown! It is a bigger pattern after all. :)

Joking aside, you can just re-drill the UB.

patooyee said:
What if the 8x170mm pattern became the standard??? Mind blown! It is a bigger pattern after all. :)

Joking aside, you can just re-drill the UB.
Lol. You sure? I was looking at mine and it didn't look like there was quite enough room to press in new studs. I'm sure you're probably right though as you have more experience with these than me.

Beerj said:
Lol. You sure? I was looking at mine and it didn't look like there was quite enough room to press in new studs. I'm sure you're probably right though as you have more experience with these than me.

It is well documented on Pirate. You don't press the studs in, you pull them in with a lugnut. Pretty standard fare nowadays.

Plus its just a matter of time now until Spidertrax or someone comes out with a rebuildable UB for the 05+ knuckles that has wheel pattern options. Spidertrax has confirmed that they are working on it but won't say anything else or give a production date. If its anywhere in line with the 99-04 UB's they sell they'll actually be a pretty good deal.

1882161d1439997274-reid-super-kingpin-knuckle-kingpin1.jpg

1882169d1439997274-reid-super-kingpin-knuckle-kingpin2.jpg

1882177d1439997274-reid-super-kingpin-knuckle-kingpin3.jpg

1882185d1439997274-reid-super-kingpin-knuckle-kingpin4.jpg

1882193d1439997274-reid-super-kingpin-knuckle-kingpin5.jpg

Price I read was 2K (not direct from reid) That price tag takes the cost effective out of things........... But if you love KP knuckles but want to run rockwell RCV's, there you go!

This is a quote from Reid:
Our kingpin Dana 60 knuckles and Cs have made a lot of people happy over the years, and this new assembly is not intended to replace or compete against the 60 any more than our Dana 60 parts would compete against our Dana 44 parts. The Super Kingpin assembly is an order of magnitude larger than the kingpin 60/70 parts.

We already offer a 2005+ SuperDuty highsteer knuckle as a "Stage 1" upgrade to the SuperDuty axles or for those who like running ball joint outers on custom housings. This new Super Kingpin assembly is a "Stage 2" upgrade for those who keep blowing out their ball joints and U-joints. The kingpin design has proven to be much more durable than the ball joint design, and for the majority of people out there a well-built kingpin Dana 60 is all they need. However, now that the military has finished surplussing all those cheap Rockwells, and aftermarket 14-Bolts and Dana 80s are dwarfing the Dana 60 platform, there is a need for the next size up outer axle assembly.

We had a few primary objectives when designing our new knuckle assembly:

Room to fit a 1550 or Rockwell U-joint or CV joint.
Larger diameter stub shafts.
Kingpins instead of ball joints.
Larger diameter axle tubes.
Better brakes.
Affordable platform for Average Joes.

We studied several different ways to go about reaching these goals, and the Super Kingpin assembly you see here is the one that best met all of those requirements. Anyone can design a strong axle assembly when money is no object; getting it done affordably is the challenge. Although this will obviously work with any aftermarket axle like a ProRock 80, Torq-14, etc., here's another option for the do-it-yourselfer: buy a junkyard 2005+ SuperDuty front axle (let's say for $1000), cut the ball joint C's off, add our new Super Kingpin Cs and knuckles, and then bolt all the SuperDuty stuff back on. Now you have a ~10.1-inch high-pinion axle with 1550s, big brakes, and nearly bombproof outers for around $3000. Should you still need to upgrade (think rock bouncers on 54's) you can fit Rockwell U-joints, upgraded axle shafts, bigger/lighter brakes, upgraded unitbearings, and anything else that fits on a 2005+ SuperDuty knuckle.

Hopefully by now we've answered your questions regarding why we went this route. The track record has shown that school kingpins are a lot stronger and more durable than even the high-end aftermarket upgraded ball joints. Our bronze replacement bushings further upgrade the strength and durability of the kingpin design, and spreading the kingpins out another 1.5" makes them significantly stronger. Down the road if people start beating their axles hard enough that the limits of the kingpins are reached, aftermarket upgrades for the standard kingpin 60s will also work on the Super Kingpin assembly. This is only the beginning for this new outer assembly standard.

Jtremor said:
Has anyone ran the 10" super 60 ring gear in a standard super duty 60 yet?

I don't think there is an issue fitting the super 60 ring gear into a "standard" housing. To my knowledge the "super" 60 doesn't have a different housing. I'd rather have the 35 spline pinion shaft than the 10" ring gear.

I agree. I've been looking at going up to 40 spline axle shafts. The 10" ring gear would give it a little more strength. What companies make the 10 ring and pinion? I've only seen the standard 9.75.

Re:

Mortalis5509 said:
How does these options compare to a fabricated housing with 10" gears in strength and price?

No comparison. Fabricated housings and 10" third member are far superior. You don't see a cast dana 60 center section in the back of a trophy truck. Apples and oranges.

I knew they were based off of the super duty design. I didn't know it was the 99-04 model. it'd be nice to interchange with the 05+ upgrading to 40 spline would be simple and I could switch to the 8x6.5 bolt pattern too. I could run a 14 bolt rear seeing how nobody makes a spool for the sterling.

It's kinda surprising to me that no one has off the shelf 40 spline stubs and drive slugs for 05+ axles. Especially since 40 spline everything else you need is pretty common and easily accessible

I don't understand it either. I don't know why no company builds a spool for the sterling either. they are becoming common in buggies and jeep jk swaps.

TBItoy said:
It's kinda surprising to me that no one has off the shelf 40 spline stubs and drive slugs for 05+ axles. Especially since 40 spline everything else you need is pretty common and easily accessible

I know it seems like old news to us between all the info here and on Pirate but I'd say the vast majority of trail riders out there have no real clue about this stuff. Heck, the axle didn't even exist until 10 years ago which is like a blink of an eye when you compare it to when the 60 and 14 bolt hit the market. It'll take awhile for the aftermarket to catch up and even then it'll be a niche.