• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Rockwells make your sac swell!

I bought a buggy a couple of years ago from a guy in Knoxville that rode at windrock alot & he had bout 10 broke 16 spline chromos on his workbench. He had a ls1 powered 4wheel steered juggy on rocks. He said he snapped em all the time so he went to 2 in. & didn't have anymore problems. :driving: He may have been extremely hard on **** but it made me wonder how much stronger they were than oem ones?

That's interesting , I've seen some stock Ujoint shafts take a beating and then I've also heard of em Breakin easily , maybe the quality control is off on them and some are much stronger then others :dunno:

Cheaper way to loose some weight , this one was an expirement I just finished... Stock weight was 38lb ,with the flange
Material machined off it went down to 30.5lbs then I machined the hub flange
Off the inside cuz these are designated narrow hubs , that dropped em to 29lbs

I'm pretty happy with a 25% reduction with 20minutes of work, I'm
Gonna do 4 and rock out

fordcontraption01 said:
x2 I've had that same idea but was scared **** would break off I've even thought about cutting some off the overal diameter also

Like this?

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/891594-rockwell-hybrid-steering-axles-13.html#post12027810

2010-10-19_12-48-32_189.jpg

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/891594-rockwell-hybrid-steering-axles-13.html#post12057702

I'm not afraid of Breakin them of, the flange is still 1" thick and 2" wide
With a radius on both sides, a one ton flange is like 3/8" or 1/2" think so the cut away rockwells still has the same surface area, I don't think they will ever break but I'm not scared , I'll be the test dummy lol, I thought about takin some more material off
The od of the tube part but stopped here , I'm pretty happy with 9lb drop , anyone know what an almn rockwell hub weighs ?

Rockwells607 said:
Cheaper way to loose some weight , this one was an expirement I just finished... Stock weight was 38lb ,with the flange
Material machined off it went down to 30.5lbs then I machined the hub flange
Off the inside cuz these are designated narrow hubs , that dropped em to 29lbs

I'm pretty happy with a 25% reduction with 20minutes of work, I'm
Gonna do 4 and rock out

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/891594-rockwell-hybrid-steering-axles-13.html#post12057702
[/quote]

I did my hubs as shown above in the pirate thread over two years ago. Lost 11 lbs per hub for free. No problems with them at all. I would be concerned about cutting all the material away from each "stud boss" for lack of a better term. But I would feel better about the Rockwell hub like that than how a DRW 60 hub is converted to a SRW

I'll do 4, run em and see what happens, I usually carry a spare rockwell hub and set
Of wheel bearings in my trailer anyways so if one did break I can keep wheeling ...

Patooyee, not to high jack a thread but, when you swapped out your orbital to a diffrent cc do you have any input on which one you like better. I know the ram plays a part, I was definately looking to ask someone that has tried more than one version. Thanks.

I honestly don't recall what I got. I think its posted in 1tonrubi's thread maybe? But no, I've had it up to about 60mph over whoops where the rear tried to flip over the front and have not found it to be twitchy at all. In fact, I'd probably go one step up if I was to do it again. That is with a 2.5x1.5x10 DE ram in the front on the stock steering arms behind the axle with correct ackerman.