• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Rockwells make your sac swell!

Nice info. I'll have to put this in the archives.

All my info came from KRC catalog which says my pump is1450 max pressure and 4.21gpm, with the flow numbers adjustable by changing out flow control valves.

Patooyee's last paragraph sums it all up.

Another question I have is what effect does the leverage of the tire (44") have over the leverage of the steering arm (10")? I know it's rare, if ever, one would have the full weight of the rig on one tire and trying to turn. But I suppose we'd be WFO and it wouldn't be there long.

Re:

I have a spreadsheet that makes it easy to compare different steering setups (rams, orbitals, force, pressure, lock to lock turns etc) . if someone has a place to host it that would be great, other wise just email me at the address in my sig and I'll send you a copy. It's an excel sheet

Rockwells607 said:
Cheaper way to loose some weight , this one was an expirement I just finished... Stock weight was 38lb ,with the flange
Material machined off it went down to 30.5lbs then I machined the hub flange
Off the inside cuz these are designated narrow hubs , that dropped em to 29lbs

I'm pretty happy with a 25% reduction with 20minutes of work, I'm
Gonna do 4 and rock out

Are you using these still? Any issues?

I only cut the one Hub so far , had to quit workin on my wife's new buggy when out house burned last month, im plannin to cut the other 3 in the next few weeks and get her buggy finished up by May or June

Rohlingoffroad said:
I have seen red barns knuckles they look good but u can buy gearharts knuckle that look better and are lifetime warrantied for $750 a pair

I dont' see those on his website, do you have a pic or some more info?

Anyone have experience with fearless motion?
I know that this has been discussed but it seems like it never gets answered. Do any of the after market give a better turning radius? Do the overson or rcv axles have better turning before binding?

With either, what is the point? The stock rock knuckle is plenty strong. What is done with the boots? The stock rockwell spindle isn't sealed from the back side, so you still kind of need the boot.

patooyee said:
With either, what is the point? The stock rock knuckle is plenty strong. What is done with the boots? The stock rockwell spindle isn't sealed from the back side, so you still kind of need the boot.
I am pretty sure the gearhart knuckle continues to use a boot .

Eddyj said:
Do the overson or rcv axles have better turning before binding?

In my experience Ouverson shafts will let you max out the knuckles whereas stock won't. I'm sure RCV is better than that even.

I guess these are the fearless motion knuckles?

73a8666de60d43a4faaee51b4b78c3b3.jpg

SAM_2035_zps0b4ae149.jpg

I wasn't aware the X-Rated buggy was running them?

SAM_2034_zps3e752fc9.jpg

patooyee said:

I was looking at it as a easier and cleaner way to get a custom steering arm location for possible use with different rams and steering packages. Order one of those knuckles without a steering arm on them and make to suit my setup.

toreadorranger said:
I was looking at it as a easier and cleaner way to get a custom steering arm location for possible use with different rams and steering packages. Order one of those knuckles without a steering arm on them and make to suit my setup.

Yeah, my first question sounded more sarcastic that I meant it to. I always forget that people are using these things on big monster trucks where breaking knuckles is more common, too. Just ignore that part of my post. I can see why someone might want them. Although, IMHO, they all fail in one important area, which is the boot. To make a custom knuckle worth it in my book you would need to eliminate the boot. And to do that you need to seal the spindle and the kingpins.

So just a quick recap ( don't yell at me Patooyee :flipoff1: ) there is no way to increase turning radius of a Rockwell.
Even if your shafts would allow additional turning the limiting factor being the knuckle. Also you cannot modify the knuckle because you would lose the boot. Is that an accurate statement?

Eddyj said:
So just a quick recap ( don't yell at me Patooyee :flipoff1: ) there is no way to increase turning radius of a Rockwell.
Even if your shafts would allow additional turning the limiting factor being the knuckle. Also you cannot modify the knuckle because you would lose the boot. Is that an accurate statement?

Yes. You can increase turning radius using aftermarket shafts in my experience. But beyond that something needs to happen with the knuckle. The problem is that its a closed knuckle and the area that the boot attaches hits the tube. An open knuckle doesn't have this issue because there is nothing there to hit the tube.

So we need seals in the axle tube and behind spindle along with the sealed ujoint?
I'm sorry if I sound a little ignorant, it's just hard to wrap my head around that nobody has experimented with this. It seems one of the bigger drawbacks of running rocks is turning radius.
I'm fixing to tear my axles down, I just thought that there might be some upgrades I could do while I had them apart.