• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Rockwells make your sac swell!

Any pictures of the 9" cylinder and custom arms? I was given two 9" double ended cylinders and was planning on making my own arms.

These are 3 layers of laminated .125" plate top and bottom
427475_513103082049655_1725185620_n.jpg

These are just some 1" plate that I torch cut
100_1669.jpg

I'm just now stepping up from Toyota axles and they way those bolt to the 4 kingpin bolts gives me terrible flashbacks. Obviously the Rockwell bolts are bigger than yotas but do they have the same problems with them shearing off in the knuckles? Not picking on the design just trying to learn as I go.

Re: Re: Re: Rockwells make your sac swell!

Nuts said:
I'm just now stepping up from Toyota axles and they way those bolt to the 4 kingpin bolts gives me terrible flashbacks. Obviously the Rockwell bolts are bigger than yotas but do they have the same problems? Not picking on the design just trying to learn as I go.

Yeah it's a good idea to use tapered lug nuts or cone washers, or dowl pins in the arms. I wouldn't trust 4 bolts only.

I've got a couple sets of high steer arms I've had a buddy make for me they use the 4 kinkpin bolts and come out ant you can drop a 1" bolt down through the factory tie rod holes and I have an extra hole in between the tierod hole and the kingpins bolts so it will have 6 bolts total holding it all together ill get pics when I get home and if you like these I can get more made.

Post up picks of high steer arms.

Hey patooyee what's the going rate for loaded calipers?
1986 4x4 front Toyota caliper correct?

Alright i need some help, the guy that I am trading says he is not 100% sure that they are u joint axles. He took them on trade and never used them. He cut one boot and says he can't see but stuck his fingers in and it felt like u joints. So is there a way to tell for sure without ripping the axle apart? Thanks.

Does it matter if you have u joint axles or not? I had the ball n socket ant it turned more than the u joint and when it broke the shaft broke. When the u joint broke the shaft broke. If you got any motor and weight your going to brake em anyway. Get you a cheap housing fill it full of oversons and hammer!

"Fill it full of oversons" I would but I spent all my extra money on cup holders made from unobtanium.
No I agree but it will probably take me a year to scratch together money to finish build. I just would like to be able to take it out with stock shafts a couple times, been reading that u joint shafts are strongest. Also we are trading parts I would value the u joint axle more than a ball and claw. Am I wrong?

Takes about five mins at the longest to slide axle out and check em If your worried bout em

Mines still got the stock shafts in it, I've been kinda surprised how strong the stock shafts are. I would rock them out till they break then upgrade.

If you turn the knuckle fully one direction you will be able to stick your hand on the backside of the knuckle. This will enable to feel the shaft to determine if it has ujoints. It is simple. Just cut the boot and stick your hand in.

You can't see anything from the outside its a closed knuckle, but.....and this could be vague....if the axle tag say timken on it , it's gonNa have bendix or rezeppa shafts from factory , if it says rockwell, it's gonna have ujoint shafts from the factory, there was another company along the way but I can't think of it right now I've been :drinkers:, the only difference was the production date, axle retainer and shaft style, ujoint shafts will fit in an older housing just need to swap inner seal/retainer and vise versa

Re: Re: Re: Rockwells make your sac swell!

Eddyj said:
Post up picks of high steer arms.

Hey patooyee what's the going rate for loaded calipers?
1986 4x4 front Toyota caliper correct?

Yup. I just bought one from rockauto.com for around $55 + shipping i think, loaded.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Napco is the other company I couldn't think of last night, timken and napco produced these axles pre world war 2 and Rockwell was post war , I could be wrong but I think I read that somewhere, all were the same housings just used different front shafts styles

Rockwells607 said:
Napco is the other company I couldn't think of last night, timken and napco produced these axles pre world war 2 and Rockwell was post war , I could be wrong but I think I read that somewhere, all were the same housings just used different front shafts styles

They did not start building top loader 2.5's until the 50's in the m35 trucks from Reo. WWII duece and halfs had front load axles.

Latest posts