• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

rod end size for steering arms?

no excuses

what size rod ends should I use on my steering arms on my 60. I believe that the 10/12 rod end is stronger then the 12/12 rod end?? So will I give up to much sheer strength by running the 5/8 bolt over the 3/4 bolt? This will be in a single sheer with your typical 8" full hydro setup. thanks stan..

I'm running 3/4x3/4'' with missalignment spacers to bring it down to a 5/8" bolt through the steering arms. It's all about over building, you of all people should know that. :;

I'm running 3/4x3/4'' with missalignment spacers to bring it down to a 5/8" bolt through the steering arms. It's all about over building, you of all people should know that. :;

Over building??? what you did there is take the "underbuilt" from both world's and combine them:fawkdancesmiley: 3/4 heim= half the shear of 5/8 heim, and 5/8" bolt= not as high of shear as 3/4" bolt

Over building??? what you did there is take the "underbuilt" from both world's and combine them:fawkdancesmiley: 3/4 heim= half the shear of 5/8 heim, and 5/8" bolt= not as high of shear as 3/4" bolt

I needed to use a 3/4x3/4" heim so I could use the missalignment spacers to raise the tierod above the leaves. I understand the smaller bolt debate but whats the deal with a 3/4" heim being weaker than a 5/8"?

I'd stay with what you have. On the 4 links on drag cars I've set up, 3/4 x 3/4 are what they run. The push and pull of a steering cylinder can't come close to the shock load of unleashing 1000 plus horsepower, coupled to 15x33 slicks with a trans brake. I really seriously think you will have any problems.:awesomework: That's what I'm going to run on mine.

I needed to use a 3/4x3/4" heim so I could use the missalignment spacers to raise the tierod above the leaves. I understand the smaller bolt debate but whats the deal with a 3/4" heim being weaker than a 5/8"?

The material around the 5/8 hole is greater than the material around the 3/4 hole. Just look at them side by side and you will see.

Last edited:
I am using 3/4 X 3/4 on .320 walled 1 3/4 " DOM. Drilled and tapped right into the DOM, no thread adapters. 2 yrs later, still working fine. :cool:

Now that I think about it I can see that being a strength advantage in a link application. But in steering when its basically a straight load I don't see an advantage. The thin spot in that movement is at the oposite end of the end from the shank and I havent seen amy fail there on a steerint system...

My experience is that, 3/4x3/4, the hiem breaks. 3/4x5/8, the bolt breaks.

I am now testing 7/8x 3/4.

Fawking WORD. I should have listened to you ages ago about double shearing my bolts on the steering arm. Ive broke 2, One broke and made the rig turn turtle. I went double shear right after that.

.......This will be in a single sheer ......

This is the key right there. Don't even think about 5/8" in single shear. I wouldn't even go 3/4" if you can help it, double shear that stuff.
On the 5/8" being stronger than 3/4" heim, that's just that one specific brand. In general that is not true.