• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Running fuel lines

Comet

Took the stock tank out and put a cell in the bed of my CJ7. Started running fuel lines, but got to thinking. Cars run fuel lines outside the body for obvious reasons. Fumes and the fact that the tank is attached to the frame (in frame cars) are just a couple reasons. But the cell is in the cockpit and so I was wondering if I could run the fuel lines up the side of the cab and through the firewall? There is plenty of room and the cell is already in there. Is this a bad idea? I was going to weld in some clamps every foot or so. And the pump is going in the cab either way (hopefully it won't be too noisy). What do y'all think? Oh, and no I don't smoke:flipoff:

I would put them under the cab just to keep a barrier between you and the flames if something ever happend.

Yeah, you're probably right. I wanted to keep them away from the inside of the frame (where stock lines ran) because the exhaust is so close. Wasn't a problem before, so who knows. I have the Poison Spyder Customs rocker guards and they mount to the frame, plus I extended it and added another body mount so I was thinking of running it between that and the body on the outside of the frame.

Jobless said:
That would make sense excpet the fuel cell is allready in the cab.
Yeah, and that was why I was wondering. Like I said, there won't be any added junction points in the line, so I was thinking I might try it. Plus they would be better isolated from heat and rock rash.

Mark, what did you do with the stock hard lines? I just utilized them and routed new rubber lines up to the cell. I'm not sure if I'll require an in-line electric pump, or if the manual engine pump will work though. I'll see soon I hope :rolleyes:

Lealon, I could only have used one of the lines for fuel return due to the EFI requiring more volume. So, since I was in there, I decided to just tear it all out. That's also why I had to get a new pump.

mark if its an efi system with a return line the fuel is always moving and wont absorb much if any heat. when i ran mine it was a couple inches away from exhaust and i worried about it but it has never been a problem at all due to the constant flow of the fuel.

id keep the lines outside the tub as much as possible.

my fuel lines now run inside the frame as much as possible...

If all your fuel lines and fittings are tight and everything you shouldnt be exposed to any fumes. Also, if for some reason you did have a leak in your fuel system you would know a lot sooner than if it was on the underside of your ride.

You could do like stock cars and run tube from the fuel cell through the firewall. Then run your fuel line through the tube. If you covered the cell, the interior wouldn't be exposed to any fuel during a leak.

Latest posts