• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

running propane?

reefermadnes

About to order a propane kit for my cj7 w/350, Ive done a fair amount of research and seems to be a good route. The only thing im kinda worried about is the smell. Pretty sure tons of rigs run it so hows the smell? :beer: Any bad sides to running it except for filling the tanks in the middle of no where. I will have 2 onboard tanks w/spares in tow rig so wont be an issue,and besides kit is coming with a bbq fitting adapter to run the small green tanks in an emergency :awesomework:

Last edited:
i can't think of being around a rig running propane but i would think it would smell similar to the exhaust from a forklift. someone correct me if im wrong though.

IF it's runnning properly (key word IF...), the smell will be all but non-existent, but it will still smell like a forklift's exhaust to some extent...if it isn't running right, it'll STINK! :haha:

Just was curious about the smell,sounds like it wont be to bad.Just dont wont to hear the rigs behind me complain about the smell.I have guys in front of me give me **** for having to listen to my noisy gear drive all day :fawkdancesmiley:

I never notice the smell, but I have had people behind me say they can a "forklift."
I would never go back to gas personally. The only trouble I ever had was running bad when it gets down near, or in the twenties. It was not that big of an issue, I covered the tank, and line with blankets, and it got better.

I worry about whats out front, not behind!

Honestly, it kicks ass. Dont rev it up till it warms up. Let it idle till you feel heat in the coolant hoses feeding the vaporizer on cold days.

Very forgiving.

Good to know. That's probably were I went wrong. Just firing it up and mobbin' in arctic conditions isn't ideal.

Propane is a fuel as well as a great refrigerant, but is not used anymore due to leaking and other safety concerns. Some asian countries still do it.

The more it flows the more it cools. If you demad flow before warm temps then its likely to freeze shut and not flow at all.

I have a big propane outdoor stove that will freeze the fittng shut if I run boiling 2 fryers. You can see it frost up and the flames get lower. Pour a little hot water over and it comes back and stays clear after that.

Propane is a fuel as well as a great refrigerant, but is not used anymore due to leaking and other safety concerns. Some asian countries still do it.

The more it flows the more it cools. If you demad flow before warm temps then its likely to freeze shut and not flow at all.

I have a big propane outdoor stove that will freeze the fittng shut if I run boiling 2 fryers. You can see it frost up and the flames get lower. Pour a little hot water over and it comes back and stays clear after that.

Its not the flowing that controls how well it cools--its the transfer from liquid to vapor--same reaction as any refrigerant..

About to order a propane kit for my cj7 w/350, Ive done a fair amount of research and seems to be a good route. The only thing im kinda worried about is the smell. Pretty sure tons of rigs run it so hows the smell? :beer: Any bad sides to running it except for filling the tanks in the middle of no where. I will have 2 onboard tanks w/spares in tow rig so wont be an issue,and besides kit is coming with a bbq fitting adapter to run the small green tanks in an emergency :awesomework:

just got done with propane... like everyone said it smells like a forklift. Buy a wideband a/f gauge, not a narrowband. Main thing is not to guess on your mixture, and make sure you have no vacuum leaks. Get your timing dialed, before you mess with your mixture, you want your initial and centrifical all in by 2500 rpms. It will vary between motors, so that 14-14-14 you see on the net doesn't really help. Get colder plugs, and unless you are running an HEI close your gap. You will probably have to recurve your distributor. It takes time to tune... Mine runs really well, makes a lot of power and is stupid simple.(Now) Hope this helps. Visit the alternative fuel forums...the Austrailians, and New Zeland folks have the stuff dialed. I too was worried about fuel consumption, through the tuning process i burned propane like crazy, but the 1st time out on the road and snow wheeling I went through 3.75 gallons.

:haha:
But he's right, recurving an HEI dist. is stupid simple to do as long as you have a timing light, and a little patience...just don't drop the lil clips that hold the centrifugal weights in place ... They can be a bitch to find if you do. :mad:

Any disadvantages to running the tanks vertical,I have a couple of mounting options.I would like to be able to run with my backseat when needed.