• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

S-10 steering box

Boonie Buster

Stuck on a Curb
any direct bolt-on replacements for the inside-the-frame saginaw box off the s-10, looking to maybe upgrade/replace it at the least, and maybe see about have it tapped for hydro-assist. mine i think is tired:booo:

any direct bolt-on replacements for the inside-the-frame saginaw box off the s-10, looking to maybe upgrade/replace it at the least, and maybe see about have it tapped for hydro-assist. mine i think is tired:booo:

we moved the axle foward alot on my buddies S10 and the steering criss crossed (tie rods) so after looking around the wrecking yard we found that astro vans have a saginaw box that steers backwards (pitman arm pointing foward like a scout box) and it was normal bolt pattern, bolted right up. he took home a box off of a normal astro and one off of an AWD astro cuz it looked beefier (it is) but had a strange bolt pattern and didnt work, but the normal one worked great!!:awesomework:

how far forward did you push the axle? I have the same problem right now :mad: not getting full steering because of that, and the tires hitting the leafs:mad: that might be an option for me...

EDIT: can the astro box be tapped for hydro-assist??? like the redneck ram setup?

how far forward did you push the axle? I have the same problem right now :mad: not getting full steering because of that, and the tires hitting the leafs:mad: that might be an option for me...

EDIT: can the astro box be tapped for hydro-assist??? like the redneck ram setup?

it looks just like a saginaw box, so I dont see why it cant be tapped. it wont do anything to stop tires from hitting leafs (need wheel spacers for that). I dont really know how far it is foward as it was ifs before. now its on 38s. pushed it at least 4 to 5 inches foward.

I need to get him to post pics and get on the board. nobody seems to build s10s and his is cool.

it looks just like a saginaw box, so I dont see why it cant be tapped. it wont do anything to stop tires from hitting leafs (need wheel spacers for that). I dont really know how far it is foward as it was ifs before. now its on 38s. pushed it at least 4 to 5 inches foward.

I need to get him to post pics and get on the board. nobody seems to build s10s and his is cool.

ya, i am widening my wheelbase for that issue, but i pushed my axle forward i would say about 2-3 inches...:eeek: so i might be right in that dead space between it working and not working:mad:

ya, no one builds s-10s... at least cool ones:redneck: at least my mom thinks my s-10 is cool:cool: :haha:

I used an astro box also, with the stock pitman arm, my axle is about 7 1/2" forward than stock. Right now my draglink still goes toward the rear of the truck slightly so anything less than 7" it would probably not help any. Either keep the stocker box for and relocate it 2-3" forward or push the axle farther forward and use the astro box.

As far as tapping the box I think chop shop had it right it's still a saginaw with the same flow and passages.

ya, I think i have an idea to aleviate the problem, but i dont think i got an answer for it in another thread... But i was thinking, sin i am going high steer/crossover, I was thinking of putting the drag link on the hole where the tie rod normally goes, thus pushing the tie rod out to the drag link hole, and matching it on the drivers side...understand?:eeek: I wasn't sure if that would add an stress or cause problems, with steering or whatnot...?

I would try to avoid attaching the draglink to the tie rod it puts a little extra stress on the tie rod. Just go full high steer and crossover and be done with it.

I would try to avoid attaching the draglink to the tie rod it puts a little extra stress on the tie rod. Just go full high steer and crossover and be done with it.
:haha: Did I not say that?!?!:haha: that is what i said, just put the drag link in the hole on the arm where the tie rod would normally be on a normal crossover steering setup. I will never have the drag link connect into the tie rod....ever...

:haha: Did I not say that?!?!:haha: that is what i said, just put the drag link in the hole on the arm where the tie rod would normally be on a normal crossover steering setup. I will never have the drag link connect into the tie rod....ever...

Don't knock "kits..." Knight Riders' cars' name was Kit....

And no, don't ever connect the two rods that way. You wouldn't want to end up like a J**p....