• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

S10 Solid axle V8

d_daffron

Started a new "budget" build. We started out with a 2wd 4 cylinder S10 with a slight rod knock. After a little diagnosis (15 seconds on the rev limiter) we found the cause of the problem.

Started the teardown.

And picked up this fine ride for a it's drivetrain. If you can belive it, it actually looks better than it is, frame is completely rusted out.

Next up we started removing all the 2wd front suspension componets. This one's gonna be on leaf springs for simplicity. After a little figuring we decided to just remove the entire section of frame where the front crosmember and coil buckets were. Welded a piece of pipe across the front frame horns to hold everything square and started cutting

Finished up the frame plating and started a front crosmember/spring hanger/bumper

Crossmember is made out of 1/4" plate and a piece of 4x4x1/4". Set it up to move the front wheels a few inches forward using 54" leaf springs

Now I know this is where were gonna loose a few of you, but in goes a.... Dana 30. We at least used a late model axle with the bigger U joints. We set our spring width at 32" so hopefully the 60 swap down the road wont be too tough. We cleaned the factory brackets off the axle tubes, put some spring perches on the front axle, and stuck everything together for mockup . Then we set the front clip back on and tacked on a couple spare wheels with some 35" buckshots. Heres the result

Next we started on the rear axle. Using a ford 8.8 and 63" leafs here. We had to extend the frame slightly to make a shackle mount.

The longer springs moved the axle back, it "should" center the axle in the wheel well of a longbed. The plan at this point is to sell the shortbed and buy a longbed, then bob the longbed behind the tires and end up with a shortbed with the wheel wells moved to the very back of the bed.

Next up was pulling the donor truck's drivetrain and getting it set in place in the S10. We wanted to pull the donor into the shop to pull everything but I have way too much crap inside for that. So a few ratchet straps later we converted my F250 into a mobile engine hoist.

Pulled the drivetrain and set it in place. And thats where were at for now.

Any tips on the steering I'm doin an sas swap in an s10 as well 95 reg cab sbc swap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts