• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Salt-less water softners...Housetron

rpf500

Long story short a guy I know pretty well is selling this water softner thing below. I'm extremely skeptical but I'm reading good reviews, but bad ones too. We need a new softner and the part about not carrying bags of salt through the house and down the stairs has me interested. The guy selling this is someone I really trust, but that's not saying he wasn't "sold" a line of BS and hasn't realized it yet. He lives in Seattle and tells me that they are selling like crazy in California New home builds due to codes or something.... I wasn't listening well. He's sold some to our local Wal-Mart and a few other businesses as well.
Anyone else heard, seen, owned?

http://www.scalepreventionusa.com/solutions/residential/

Funny you mention water softeners, I have never heard about them or been around any, me and the lil woman went to Mississippi a couple weeks ago to gamble, and in the hotel I washed my hands, I just keep rinsing my hands, felt just like the soap would not come off, and she said the same thing, took a shower the next morning, same thing, you just felt so slippery like you still had soap all over you, come to find, they had water softners, a lot different than our hard water I guess.

zukimaster said:
Funny you mention water softeners, I have never heard about them or been around any, me and the lil woman went to Mississippi a couple weeks ago to gamble, and in the hotel I washed my hands, I just keep rinsing my hands, felt just like the soap would not come off, and she said the same thing, took a shower the next morning, same thing, you just felt so slippery like you still had soap all over you, come to find, they had water softners, a lot different than our hard water I guess.

Agreed. I actually hate them for that reason. But, our current one had some issues recently and I bypassed it. Since then, our shower doors are getting a white film on them and our 2 little ones have dry skin patches that are itching them. So I'm losing the "we don't need a new one" battle.

That's how our house was. For some reason it didn't bother my wife at all. But my hands are tore all to hell from our hard water. I've tried every lotion there is out there and nothing has even touched it. Luckily we had some friends give us a rain soft system. I just got done installing that last week. I can already tell a HUGE difference. It's not a saltless system, but it is a dang good one. Honestly I've not noticed any slippery feeling other than the very first day. But that was 100% my fault. I plumbed a drain line backwards and messed up the brine tank. Rinsed it out, regenerated twice and we're good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have water softener and when it was first up and running I noticed the slippery felling. I told this to the guy that got our system up and running. He said its you natural oils in your skin not being stripped off like hard water does.

zukimaster said:

Growing up in southern Cal in the 60's( yah, I'm that old) we had one in our garage that I remember my dad filling up with salt. Of course I had no idea why we needed it back then, I just remember it. :dunno:

Water softener contain small pellets(not the correct term) that magnesium and other minerals in the water are attracted to. The pellets soak up the minerals,like a sponge and get saturated with the minerals. Then the pellets are treated to a salt bath(brine) and this causes them to release all the soaked up particles and start fresh soaking them up again. If it works properly the brine is rinsed out several times. Those softners like the one you posted could work for correcting the ph,but i dont not believe it is possible for it to remove the minerals that cause hard water from the system.

I read the link and it sounds like a "too good to be true" product. It doesn't remove the calcium and lime that a conventional system removes and flushes during its regeneration cycle so where does it go? Also the capacity would worry me. It talks about grain capacity being 285 and the system in my house is 27,000 grain. Honesty I don't know what that means but I do know it relates to the amount of people in your house as to how much water is used. Ex.. Family of 4 uses 27,000 and family of 6 uses 34,000 capacity units. I would research it a little more first.

On a side note with softeners, my brine tank is now staying 1/2 full of water. I cleaned the venturi valve and everything I could find with no luck. I can manually run each cycle so I know they work but it still continues to hold water. It just recently started this. Any ideas?

No clue on that one man. I do know ours flushes during regeneration also. We t'd into our washer drain for the two 1/2" overflow lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk