• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

SAS S10 tips...

Spanaway Mudder

I recently picked up a little 1983 S10 4x4 beater truck for a work rig till my 1994 F150 is ready... Since Iam getting another rig sooner then I thought, I have been doing some research on Solid Front Axles in S10's.... i know I can go the cheap easy route and throw a D30 under it, but why waste time n money on a turd front end?

Any tips? (Boonie).... What kinda issues did you run into? what springs did you use up front?

If i had the funds, i would like to do the D.side drop trail gear front end.. but thats out of the question.. for now...

Intentions of this is to have a more reliable rig for general usage.. Not a wheeler to go beat the **** out of weekly...:redneck:

But more of a camping rig and mild wheeling/hunting rig.... :awesomework:

Flame suits on so have at it...

They are allot of work from the last one I did. The frame is junk and goofy and stays very wide till about the back of the bellhousing area so you will have to make pads off the frame to inboard a mounting area for the shackles. Then they open up to a C style frame and then boxed again.

If you want to do it right then take the s-10 cab/box and put it onto a toy frame/running gear.

They are allot of work from the last one I did. The frame is junk and goofy and stays very wide till about the back of the bellhousing area so you will have to make pads off the frame to inboard a mounting area for the shackles. Then they open up to a C style frame and then boxed again.

If you want to do it right then take the s-10 cab/box and put it onto a toy frame/running gear.

Would be a true Toylet then...:redneck:......:awesomework:

Spanaway, I sent you a PM.
Like crash said I think the frames are also different from side to side. The front axle hanger is the easiest, its making the shackle mounts for the front axle is were it gets hard. Either french them in to frame or they end up being on the inside. Also look into moving axle as far forward as you can and doing an astro van box.

i know I can go the cheap easy routeQUOTE]

Their is nothing cheap N easy about any SAS job.. This is not the way to look at a job like this!

Actually your very correct about that Casey... I have been doing some research on it... By cheap n easy i was leaning towards axle choice as in "D44 vs D60".... as for the mounting of the springs and bracing it all up, it will be done properly... :awesomework:

Actually your very correct about that Casey... I have been doing some research on it... By cheap n easy i was leaning towards axle choice as in "D44 vs D60".... as for the mounting of the springs and bracing it all up, it will be done properly... :awesomework:

????? I thought this was a light trail runner, why would you need a 60, I think you need to be looking for a 30, it suits your build better :haha:

They're no harder to SAS than a toyota tacoma. :redneck:

Yes, you have to build some outriggers off the frame for the rear spring mounts, but that's fairly straight forward. The front hanger is fairly easy too, just might take some extra time.

Heck, if you wanted to buy a kit, they have them

(Not as beefy as my setup though. :fawkdancesmiley:)
:
http://www.shop.synergyoffroad.com/82-93-Chevy-S10-solid-axle-conversion-kit-leaf-springs-SAS011.htm

You can build something like i had, that last for years of driving on the highway. :redneck:
IMG_5119Medium.jpg

These were just mounted flush with the bottom of the frame.
IMG_5020Medium.jpg

You'd want to relocate the steering box further forward if you can, I never did and ran into problems when i swapped in the D44, I had to run the drag link on the back side of the tie rod. :looser: Lessons Learned.

You'd want to relocate the steering box further forward if you can, I never did and ran into problems when i swapped in the D44, I had to run the drag link on the back side of the tie rod. :looser: Lessons Learned.

You won't have to relocate the steering box if you use the astro steering box.

I bought the sky kit, and had no problem hanging a 60 in the front i even used the stock steering box until i swapped in the 454 then i had to move it to the outside to clear the manifolds i had all the parts before so it only cost me the sky kit to do it