• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

School me on 3/4 ton GM drivetrain swap into 1/2'er

Avanteone

Got a customer here, '91 Suburban 1500 4x4. Blowe'd up his 10 bolt rear and looking to upgrade to 3/4 ton 8 lug stuff. This is out of my realm of normal experience and wondering what the best donor for a swap is.

Let me know what you think, and how much is bolt in, and what else is required, steering changes, u bolts, etc.

Thanks

John

If memory serves me right you can get that in 3/4 ton flavor..

I know the u-bolts and rear u-joint are different.

As for the front you can simply swap the outer stuff since both (1/2-3/4) are a dana 44 and I recall the steering the same..

'91 front end would be an 8.5, not D44.:D

My '89 I put a 6-lug 9.5 in the rear from a 86 heavy half truck, and other than u-bolts and brake lines was almost direct bolt in.

Got a customer here, '91 Suburban 1500 4x4. Blowe'd up his 10 bolt rear and looking to upgrade to 3/4 ton 8 lug stuff. This is out of my realm of normal experience and wondering what the best donor for a swap is.

Let me know what you think, and how much is bolt in, and what else is required, steering changes, u bolts, etc.

Thanks

John

Any 3/4ton 8 lug 14 bolt will bolt in. 1 Ton's will require changing spring perch width. You will have to redo shock mounts I believe on both tho. Will need new ubolts, and a conversion u joint and you will be good to go on the back. For the front, probably also has a 10 bolt, and not a Dana 44. Get either a Dana 44 8 lug, and it will bolt right in, or keep your same axle, and just swap from the spindles out with a 8 lug front. Everything on the front is a bolt on job.

Another option on a better rear axle and keeping it 6 lug would be to get a semi floating 14 bolt out of like a late 90's 1500 chev. Much larger rear axle, but still 6 lug so dont have to worry about buying new wheels and such.

Another option on a better rear axle and keeping it 6 lug would be to get a semi floating 14 bolt out of like a late 90's 1500 chev. Much larger rear axle, but still 6 lug so dont have to worry about buying new wheels and such.

Forgot about that one, I'll give him that option!

the 9.5 14 bolt 6 lugger would be the easiest swap...may not be the cheapest though..a 10.5 14 bolt can be had for 100 buks,need u-bolts and plates,rear shaft shortened and 1350 end put on it.front 8 lug conversion..just need the outers if both sets of gears match already..e-brake cables vary depending on the year.so the closer together they are year wise the better for that.

Why not just put another half ton axle in, sell the rig and buy an actual 3/4 ton burb? They exist and aren't that hard to find.

I think this is the way the guy's gonna go. Any clue what exact application I'm looking for on car-part.com or when I'm calling dismantler's?

I think this is the way the guy's gonna go. Any clue what exact application I'm looking for on car-part.com or when I'm calling dismantler's?

Dont know the exact answer to that! I think alot of the Z71's came with them, but not sure if it was all of them or not. Also, came in several trucks called HD 1500's. I would just make sure it was a 14 bolt when calling around, and not the 10 bolt.

Dont know the exact answer to that! I think alot of the Z71's came with them, but not sure if it was all of them or not. Also, came in several trucks called HD 1500's. I would just make sure it was a 14 bolt when calling around, and not the 10 bolt.

Yeah, but are the trucks the same as suburbans, etc? If I punch in like an '89 C1500 with the 14bolt 9.5" ring gear, it brings up like '88 to '98 C/k 1500/2500, etc.

Yeah, but are the trucks the same as suburbans, etc? If I punch in like an '89 C1500 with the 14bolt 9.5" ring gear, it brings up like '88 to '98 C/k 1500/2500, etc.

I dont know of any suburbans that came with them. On car part- I searched for a 96 1500 truck, and clicked 14 bolt- looks like there is several available. Id also call Budget Truck down there by you. They normally seem to have that kinda stuff laying around.

I know my '93 Z-71 K1500 had the 14B in it. Didn't realize it until I bought a lift from Bob & the ubolts wouldn't fit. The only difference I noticed was one had square ubolts that went over the leaves and the other used round under the tubes. Other than that I think most everything will bolt right up.