• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

School me on a BEC

chickenwing

So I am running a fxr speed controller and 3 cell lipo's. I have been told i should run a BEC to get a true 6 volts. But to be honnest I don't even know what the hell BEC is I'm new to the RC game. So can some school me on how they work, what I need, and how to wire it.

Battery
Elimenating
Circuit

In the old days we ran 4 AA batteries to power the reciever and servo.

Then the ESC came out and has an internal bec.

Problem with the internal BEC is that you get 6v but its not a steady amp. If you dig (use power) your steering sux or your reciever loses power and stutters.

With the external BEC you run dirrectly from the battery though the bec (regulator) and get a steady 10amps all the time. You can program the voltage from 4.6v on up to letting the magic white smoke outta the servo.

So the bec just goes to the servo? Or does it also go to the reciever also? So I should notice a difference with it? Sorry I'm a newb....

So the bec just goes to the servo? Or does it also go to the reciever also? So I should notice a difference with it? Sorry I'm a newb....

See the link below for a wiring diagram of the castle bec, its much easier than us trying to explain it to ya:awesomework:

http://www.castlecreations.com/products/ccbec_diagrams/ccbec_wiring.html

If you are running a decent size servo you will need an external bec, the reason is that most internal becs in speed controls can not supply both the motor and the servo with enough current & a constant voltage. If your motor is drawin alot of power and your servo is left short handed you run the risk of burning up your servo, plus with the external bec you will see an improvement in steering power overstock.

I got my castle 10A bec from brians hobbyland for 21 bucks, must cheaper than my 129 dollar servo:redneck:

See the link below for a wiring diagram of the castle bec, its much easier than us trying to explain it to ya:awesomework:

http://www.castlecreations.com/products/ccbec_diagrams/ccbec_wiring.html

If you are running a decent size servo you will need an external bec, the reason is that most internal becs in speed controls can not supply both the motor and the servo with enough current & a constant voltage. If your motor is drawin alot of power and your servo is left short handed you run the risk of burning up your servo, plus with the external bec you will see an improvement in steering power overstock.

I got my castle 10A bec from brians hobbyland for 21 bucks, must cheaper than my 129 dollar servo:redneck:

Bla--don't use that diagram. Some recievers can be damaged by the higher voltage. Even more if you go up to at least 7.4 volts.

Best way is to run direct battery voltage to the BEC, make a Y harness and only run output voltage from the BEC to the servo and then the signal wire to the reciever.

Here is the correct/foolproof way!

BECwiringdiagram.jpg

Bla--don't use that diagram. Some recievers can be damaged by the higher voltage. Even more if you go up to at least 7.4 volts.

Best way is to run direct battery voltage to the BEC, make a Y harness and only run output voltage from the BEC to the servo and then the signal wire to the reciever.

Here is the correct/foolproof way!

BECwiringdiagram.jpg

I just found that lol

What he said. Most important thing is do not run the red wire from the BEC and the red wire from the ESC into the reciever together. It will smoke both of them (dont ask how many esc's I plugged in before realizing that).

I do mine the castle way only because its simple and I stay under 6v. I tried 7.4v and started stripping servo gears. I just pull the red esc wire out and plug the bec directly into the reciever.

Your question about where to plug it in-- The circuit board in the reciever connects all the red wires together and all the black wires together so it doesnt matter what hole it goes in. Everything is powered at all times and relies on the signal wire to tell it what to do.

Another thing to know is that once you wire up the BEC it will give constant power to what ever you wire it to so your esc power switch is worthless. You must unplug the battery or it will drain.

Ever here that term "theres more than 1 way to skin a cat"?

You can plug your bec into the battery port of the recievr if you remove the red wire leaving the reciever to the speed control.

This configuration will power the reciever and every thing hooked to it through the bec.

The other option ( probably the best) is to hook the red and black wire from the servo directly to the bec and totally avoid the reciever. The signal (white,Yellow, orange) wire from the servo still goes to the reciever to tell the servo what to do.

This powers only the servo through the bec. and the reciever and everything hooked is powered by the speed controls red wire

Best way to accomplish this is to buy a Y adapter. Plug the servo into 1 port, Plug the bec into the other, Plug the male end into the reciever with only the signal wire hooked up. This way your not cutting and soldering a bunch of crap and the servo warranty isnt void. Plus its easier to swap stuff around between rigs cause its plug and play. Hope this helps.

so this may be a stupid question but her goes i got a fatabo 2 channel 2.4g reciever and i got a castle bec pro. my question is do i need a 3 channel to plug the bec into or could i get that y link you guys are talkin about? or or can i just plug it in to the "b" port? i tried a couple configurations and non seem to make a difference in my steering.

so this may be a stupid question but her goes i got a fatabo 2 channel 2.4g reciever and i got a castle bec pro. my question is do i need a 3 channel to plug the bec into or could i get that y link you guys are talkin about? or or can i just plug it in to the "b" port? i tried a couple configurations and non seem to make a difference in my steering.

If you want to power the servo directly off of the BEC insted of the servo getting its power from the receiver then you can get a Y-harness from the hobby shop. I picked up a Y-harness last night from the hobby shop, this is my first time using the Y-harness so I havent looked into what wires need to be disconnected.

I am going to try to get my electronics hooked up tonight so if noone replies back to ya I'll post up how I did it:awesomework:

Plug the bec into the y. Plug the servo into the y. The remaining plug goes to the reciever but only the signal wire gets used. Cut or remove the red and black on that plug. Pretty simple.

what is different if i just plug the bec into the "b" port and servo into channel 1 and esc into channel 2 with the red wire disconected?

That works too. It'll power the reciever too that way. Limits your voltage setting to whatever your reciever is rated for though.

Just a note, most 2.4g receivers can take more than 6v. If you have a 2.4g radio, JR Spektrum I know for sure. I set my bec's up to 6.2v, never an issue.

All you have to do is wire the CC BEC red and black power in wires with your battery wires before you solder up and shrink wrap the deans plug for the main battery.

Pull the power wire on the esc plug that plugs into the receiver (red wire). There is a little tab on the plug you can lift up and then pull the wire with connector out of the plug.

Plug the CC bec power out into the batt port on the receiver, your done.

You will turn the rig off buy unplugging the battery only after that. Your esc switch will be disabled.