• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

School me on FUEL pumps....

Harvester of Sorrow

Well here is the scenerio...

My fuel pump sucks...not gas but air...it is whored out...on Sack Up yesterday it reared its ugly head again...We (myself and some great helpers) worked through why we thought it was cavitating...we assumed my cracked ass lines were allowing air to be drawn in...So we booty fabbed a fix of a whole new fuel line up to the pump...ran the rest of sack up, most of Izzy, and Trail of Doom...didn't miss a beat. After leaving the pit to head home we got about 200 yards from the parking and cough...dead....wouldn't draw gas even with the single strand un restricted brand new line...

I have a 30'ish gallon fuel cell located in the rear of my rig...basically right over the rear axle. About 103 inches away is a 4 barrel Quadrajet that needs some gas...right before that carb is an adjustable pressure regulator.

I need to get gas from the fuel cell to the carb...

What pump should I use...that is electric, reliable, won't cost me my non-functioning left nut, and looks cool. I would like some part numbers or make and models...and some pricing would be slick...I am going to look at my Summit catalog tonight....

IMO, don't blow a bunch of money on a bling fuel pump, just get another one of those cheapys, they are noisy bitches, but that one lasted 4+ years.

Are you sure you didn't get some crap in the tank that is plugging the pickup?

Get a cheapo... Mine has been going strong for 2+ years now. Frame mounted, works fine.

Mark....

out of simplicity's sake, I'd just put another mechanical one on there....
if you don't have a hot-rod motor that requires alot of fuel flow, and aren't running an expensive hot rod bypassing regulator......you really don't have a need for an electric pump...
and, and electric pump...
1...WILL wear out and not last as long as a decent mechanical one..
2....any decent one WILL be considerably more expensive than a mechanical one...
3....WILL be more noisy than a mech one...
4....and it'll have to be mounted somewhere, and you'll have to protect it, blah....

stick with simply and cheap when you can get away with it...

and, off topic...
how big is your fuel cell (like, actual dimensions....)....do you have any issues w/ fuel starvation.....is it one of the corner mounted pickups??...

thinking about buying one soon just for a quick and dirty fix before I get around to building a tank for the new rig...

--B

Berne...

I need an electric pump because of space issues and mounts.

I will more than likely as BENW mentioned get two of the cheapies...one for now and one for a spare...

That combined with replacing all the chaffed lines and checking my fuel cell check valve/fuel pick-up should bring the system back to the great state it did operate in...

I will take some dims of my cell and shoot some photos for you Berne...

Berne said:
and, off topic...
how big is your fuel cell (like, actual dimensions....)....do you have any issues w/ fuel starvation.....is it one of the corner mounted pickups??...

thinking about buying one soon just for a quick and dirty fix before I get around to building a tank for the new rig...

--B

It is a 32 gal from www.speedwaymotors.com, they have 2 with different OA dimensions. It has a custom pickup, steel tubing routed to the center rear of the tank. Original pickup was just a hose dangling in the tank.

Harvester of Sorrow said:
Berne...

I will more than likely as BENW mentioned get two of the cheapies...one for now and one for a spare...

this is the same as your current one http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?categorycode=3339K&mfrcode=MST&mfrpartnumber=E8012S

This is the one I carried as a spare, ran it for a short while, didn't work as well as the one that is on there http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?categorycode=3339K&mfrcode=PUR&mfrpartnumber=PRO04SV

I would run a small in line near the tank inside the frame rail with a check valve behind it or a built in one and one somewhere near the engine bay. and stay away from the hot zones to keep from vapor lock, that might be your problem right there. Also use good quality fuel lines

I have seen in lines that are pressure sensitive and only deliver when need for good fuel pressure.

Have you checked the ground (-) surface on the pump?? it is good? dirty?

I feed my electric pump w/a mechanical pump so I can have it mounted up on the firewall. . .It is a Federal Mogul inline jobby. . .hasn't missed a beat in 2 years. Of course, I need the 16 or so psi for the fuel injection. . .but you could use a little facet pump or even two of them. Some of the desert racers have dual fuel circuits so if one of them gets screwed up, you just flip a switch and the secondary kicks in. . .in other words, I think two fuel pumps are a good idea if you wheel in remote areas. . at least keep one in the toolbox.

If you didn't read all that. . .the little facet pumps work just fine. Airplanes even use them.

Napa part P50001 (I think. Got one for someone a couple days ago) Oh, hey! I'm trying to recall his name, but he works at Parkplace. He bought the low pressure carb/TBI one then discovered he needed the P50000 high pressure one (after he used it) He'll be at NAPA for the other pump tomorrow I think.

I have ordered two of the direct replacements for what is on the rig now.

I will be installing them this weekend assuming that they came in while I was out of town in NC. They will be getting installed with all new fuel lines and filters...

The fuel cell will be getting broke down as well and the bulkhead fittings resealed with a redo of the cell check valve....

That should take care of sucking air...