• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

School me on Speakers

Mrs. Crash said:
Were the infinity ones the right kind? I thought it said poly??
I know their mid range and high end stuff has been pretty good, haven't looked at their stuff lately though. Paper is easy to spot, you can see the fibers on the backside of the cone and sometimes on the front.

I'm cheap. I like the pioneer speakers and deck well enough in my wheeler. You guys are right, even the cheapest pioneer speakers are poly cone.

5x7speaker4.jpg

I have pioneer 5.25s in my dash and 5x7s in the back.. I listen to music like Pink Floyd, and the tweets do a pretty good job for a cheap speaker.

I'm a Big fan of Boston acoustics.. but I don't have that type of budget. :booo:

ok so this is good then? :clappy:
Excellent sound quality starts with high-quality materials. Infinity’s new Reference Series coaxial speakers feature Plus One® (patent pending) oversized polypropylene cones and high-roll butyl rubber surrounds that enable the woofer to travel "deeper" than conventional speakers.

I had a pair of Infinity Reference 6" seperates (go with seperates as opposed to coaxial) in my suburban in the front door panel and Infinity 6X9's in the rear and a 5 channel amp. Awesome is only a word :clappy:
Infinity also makes 5" seperates.

check out Crutchfield for stereos, speakers, amps specifically for your vehicle. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-cRhdpUVdCbD/cgi-bin/autoinfo/autoinfo.asp?lp=

Last edited:
archer1965 said:
I had a pair of Infinity Reference 6" seperates (go with seperates as opposed to coaxial) in my suburban in the front door panel and Infinity 6X9's in the rear and a 5 channel amp. Awesome is only a word :clappy:
Infinity also makes 5" seperates.

check out Crutchfield for stereos, speakers, amps specifically for your vehicle. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-cRhdpUVdCbD/cgi-bin/autoinfo/autoinfo.asp?lp=

I'm not sure what the difference is..:redneck:

Last edited:
I'm running Infinity Kappa components in the front of my truck. Not too bad for $150 off of eBay. Tweets in the upper door panels and 6 1/2"s in the stock locations

Focals are the **** for higher end stuff though:cool:

Mrs. Crash said:
I'm not sure what the difference is..:redneck:

between seperates and coax? seperates are like this
h1086010CS-f.jpeg

they seperate the sound into individual speakers. much better clarity but more expensive. these are $150 pair at Crutchfield

Mrs. Crash said:
:redneck: ok, the only 4" ones I found I guess weren't seperates. So how do I search for those?
They are generally called components...not seperates. Meaning they come in different components like the tweeter, mid, and crossover...instead of as all one speaker

Edit...eBay linky

Last edited:
Yes i mentioned earlier that, component speakers or seperates sound better because they come with there own mini amp and having them all apart you can tune the quality of sound much easier. Yer husband likes them as well lol

Mrs. Crash said:
ok so this is good then? :clappy:
Excellent sound quality starts with high-quality materials. Infinity’s new Reference Series coaxial speakers feature Plus One® (patent pending) oversized polypropylene cones and high-roll butyl rubber surrounds that enable the woofer to travel "deeper" than conventional speakers.
Those are VERY nice speakers. And yes, weather resistant to boot. :clappy:

The Infinity Reference speakers are just as good as the Kappas for a simple install like what youre talking about. No need to spend the extra on the Kappas IMO.

~T.J.

War-Jeeper said:
Yes i mentioned earlier that, component speakers or seperates sound better because they come with there own mini amp and having them all apart you can tune the quality of sound much easier. Yer husband likes them as well lol
Its called a crossover:flipoff:

Go wi ththe infinity ref's. In a 4" speaker you wont be able to tell the kappas and ref's apart. 4" comps arent worth it imo since the 4" woofer is the size of my 3-ways midrange:flipoff:

Alpine4x4 said:
Its called a crossover:flipoff:

Go wi ththe infinity ref's. In a 4" speaker you wont be able to tell the kappas and ref's apart. 4" comps arent worth it imo since the 4" woofer is the size of my 3-ways midrange:flipoff:
Ya, you're not gonna get much low end out of those small speakers. Throw a high-pass filter on them and they'll be fine cranked. Use something bigger in the back or a sub box for your low frequencies.

Okie dokie. Thanks everyone. I think I'll order those infinity ones :clappy: we hooked up the stereo tonight. It looks cool.

skrause said:
Ya, you wont get any low end out of those small speakers. Throw a high-pass filter on them and they'll be fine cranked. Use something bigger in the back or a sub box for your low frequencies.
Fixed her for ya.

Mrs.C what kind of stereo you running? D oyou have the model number? If you do and you plan on running subs you might not need a high pass filter for it may be built into your stereo. MIne is this way but it is only activatible if an auxillary unit (amp/sub) is hooked up to the stereo.

Damnit, you're inspiring me to put a stereo back in my truck again. :flipoff: I have everything but the front speakers just sitting here too. :haha:

Alpine4x4 said:
Fixed her for ya.

Mrs.C what kind of stereo you running? D oyou have the model number? If you do and you plan on running subs you might not need a high pass filter for it may be built into your stereo. MIne is this way but it is only activatible if an auxillary unit (amp/sub) is hooked up to the stereo.

Its a pioneer DEH-P660

Latest posts