• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

School me on Speakers

War-Jeeper said:
O and see if you can get a hold of an old school phoneix gold amp if your going to do a sub they kick ass for amps probably the best made in my opion, O and if your looking for a sub i have an extra Memphis audio (older) but was the highest end you could buy 2 years ago just sitting collecting dust give me a fair offer i will most likely take it.

Component speakers will also give you better control of your sound qaulity like more highs lows or mids in my opion.

Let me know about the sub though, o and its in a custom made sealed box too
Those amps=:clappy:
Also look on EBay for planet audio. I know a guy running those amps in comps. He had them tested and they put out exactly what they say on the box and are hella cheap.
I love my comps, will never go back to coaxials. The high end is so much clearer its amazing.

Mrs. Crash said:
I've already had a couple offers on an amp and a couple subs. I will let you know as soon as I get to that point. First I just want to replace the front speakers.

So you all really don't like Pioneer then? My stereo is pioneer so I've pretty much always gone with them.

Pioneer is one of those mediocore companys nothing terrible but nothing all that great either, i would go with alpine, i run them in my truck and if you do plan on running a sub or two they have built in bass blockers so you dont blow out your mains and then you have all your bass running through the sub.

You could even go down to a car toys or a best buy or somthing and listen to their speakers and judge them for yourself, while keeping in mind how much each speaker you are listening to costs, personally thats what iwould do go and listen to the cheaper end speakers and decide from there what you like best because its your rig and no matter how much we tell you, you might like a diffrent kind of speaker then we do its all about opion.

Well there is my 2 cents and a small book lol

War-Jeeper said:
Pioneer is one of those mediocore companys nothing terrible but nothing all that great either, i would go with alpine, i run them in my truck and if you do plan on running a sub or two they have built in bass blockers so you dont blow out your mains and then you have all your bass running through the sub.

You could even go down to a car toys or a best buy or somthing and listen to their speakers and judge them for yourself, while keeping in mind how much each speaker you are listening to costs, personally thats what iwould do go and listen to the cheaper end speakers and decide from there what you like best because its your rig and no matter how much we tell you, you might like a diffrent kind of speaker then we do its all about opion.

Well there is my 2 cents and a small book lol

My dream stereo:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-IND0s800lZj/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?I=500cda9835
:clappy: :clappy: :clappy:

War-Jeeper said:
My friend has that deck its way cool! I run an old schooll sony Xplod deck and a 1200 watt old school Xplod amp lol

And stocker rear mains with bass blockers wired in and alpine type r or is it S front mains cant remember its not like i look in my door everyday lol
ya i run a sony xplod deck:looser: some custom 3-ways upfront and some shitay dual 6x9's rear with tweater leads cut. Got a boston 12" in a 2cu ft box sitting in my room waiting for a 300w rms amp and wiring kit as money allows. I want that deck so freaking bad!!!! AMAZING PIECE OF ENGINEERING! I wanna run these boston speakers up front i got in my house but i dont think 8" woofers would fit:redneck: THey sound sweet in my room though...300wrms each speaker and 2 10" subs yay:clappy:

Variable Button Color: The button illumination can be adjusted to any of 512 colors. The following color presets are stored in memory: Blue, Green, Amber, and Red. In addition, you can store one custom color under the User's preset. The custom color can be selected by turning the rotary encoder and cycling though all 512 colors.

Animation Displays: You may choose from the following animation displays: Type 1 (moving clouds), Type 2 (surface of a body of water in motion), Type 3 (car driving on the road), Type 4 (moving patterns of light), or Type 5 (drop of water hitting a water surface and the resulting ripples).

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Bass Engine Pro: Bass Engine functions provide control over your system, so you can tailor the sound to your personal tastes. Bass Engine Pro includes the following functions:[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]6-Channel Digital Time Correction: The time correction feature allows you to create virtual speaker positions by delaying the signals being sent to the speakers closest to you. When the correct delay times have been entered for the front right, front left, rear right, rear left, subwoofer left, and subwoofer right speakers, all sounds reach your ears at the same time, providing optimized imaging and frequency response. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]6-Position Digital Crossover with Adjustable Slope: The digital crossover allows you to choose from the following modes: [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]2-way Mode: A continuously variable 20-200Hz low-pass filter is available for the subwoofer outputs, and a continuously variable 20-200Hz high-pass filter is available for the front and rear preamp outputs. The slope for each filter can be set to 6, 12, 18, or 24dB/octave, or Flat. The level for each filter can be adjusted from 0 to -12dB. [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]3-way Mode: A continuously variable 20-200Hz low-pass filter is available for the subwoofer outputs, and a continuously variable 1-20kHz high-pass filter is available for the front preamp outputs. The rear preamp outputs have a continuously variable 20Hz-20kHz low-pass filter and a continuously variable 20-200Hz high-pass filter. The slope for each filter can be set to 6, 12, 18, or 24dB/octave, or Flat. The level for each filter can be adjusted from 0 to -12dB. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]5-band Digital Parametric EQ: The 5-band parametric EQ lets you select a center frequency, then adjust its output level and even the "width" of the boost or cut for precise system tuning. You can select a frequency for each of the following bands: Band 1 (20Hz, 25Hz, 31.5Hz, 40Hz, 50Hz, 63HZ, 80Hz, or 100Hz), Band 2 (250Hz, 315Hz, or 400Hz), Band 3 (1kHz or 1.2kHz), Band 4 (3.2kHz or 4kHz), and Band 5 (10kHz, 12kHz, 16kHz, or 20kHz). Once a frequency is selected, you can adjust its level from -6dB to +6dB in 1dB increments. The Q for each frequency can be set to 1, 1.5, or 3. In addition to the user-adjustable EQ (User's 1-6), tone presets are stored into memory, allowing you to recall the best setting for different types of music. You may choose from the following tone presets: Rock, Pops, News, or Flat. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Subwoofer Level Control: The level of the subwoofer preamp outputs can be adjusted to balance the output of your subwoofer with that of your other speakers. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Subwoofer Phase Selector: The phase of the subwoofer outputs may be set to normal (0 degrees) or reverse (180 degrees); this function allows you to minimize phase cancellation of bass frequencies, for stronger bass response. [/FONT]
*goes and rubs one off*

Alpine4x4 said:
ya i run a sony xplod deck:looser: some custom 3-ways upfront and some shitay dual 6x9's rear with tweater leads cut. Got a boston 12" in a 2cu ft box sitting in my room waiting for a 300w rms amp and wiring kit as money allows. I want that deck so freaking bad!!!! AMAZING PIECE OF ENGINEERING! I wanna run these boston speakers up front i got in my house but i dont think 8" woofers would fit:redneck: THey sound sweet in my room though...300wrms each speaker and 2 10" subs yay:clappy:

I use to run 2 12" (seperately boxed like 1.5 cubic feet) Memphis audio subs on 1600 watts but for a super cab ford ranger it was a little loud so i took one out and now have one running on 1600 watts lol gives it really amazing sound quality though

Anyways back on topic

Alpine4x4 said:
Variable Button Color: The button illumination can be adjusted to any of 512 colors. The following color presets are stored in memory: Blue, Green, Amber, and Red. In addition, you can store one custom color under the User's preset. The custom color can be selected by turning the rotary encoder and cycling though all 512 colors.

Animation Displays: You may choose from the following animation displays: Type 1 (moving clouds), Type 2 (surface of a body of water in motion), Type 3 (car driving on the road), Type 4 (moving patterns of light), or Type 5 (drop of water hitting a water surface and the resulting ripples).

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Bass Engine Pro: Bass Engine functions provide control over your system, so you can tailor the sound to your personal tastes. Bass Engine Pro includes the following functions:[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]6-Channel Digital Time Correction: The time correction feature allows you to create virtual speaker positions by delaying the signals being sent to the speakers closest to you. When the correct delay times have been entered for the front right, front left, rear right, rear left, subwoofer left, and subwoofer right speakers, all sounds reach your ears at the same time, providing optimized imaging and frequency response. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]6-Position Digital Crossover with Adjustable Slope: The digital crossover allows you to choose from the following modes: [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]2-way Mode: A continuously variable 20-200Hz low-pass filter is available for the subwoofer outputs, and a continuously variable 20-200Hz high-pass filter is available for the front and rear preamp outputs. The slope for each filter can be set to 6, 12, 18, or 24dB/octave, or Flat. The level for each filter can be adjusted from 0 to -12dB. [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]3-way Mode: A continuously variable 20-200Hz low-pass filter is available for the subwoofer outputs, and a continuously variable 1-20kHz high-pass filter is available for the front preamp outputs. The rear preamp outputs have a continuously variable 20Hz-20kHz low-pass filter and a continuously variable 20-200Hz high-pass filter. The slope for each filter can be set to 6, 12, 18, or 24dB/octave, or Flat. The level for each filter can be adjusted from 0 to -12dB. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]5-band Digital Parametric EQ: The 5-band parametric EQ lets you select a center frequency, then adjust its output level and even the "width" of the boost or cut for precise system tuning. You can select a frequency for each of the following bands: Band 1 (20Hz, 25Hz, 31.5Hz, 40Hz, 50Hz, 63HZ, 80Hz, or 100Hz), Band 2 (250Hz, 315Hz, or 400Hz), Band 3 (1kHz or 1.2kHz), Band 4 (3.2kHz or 4kHz), and Band 5 (10kHz, 12kHz, 16kHz, or 20kHz). Once a frequency is selected, you can adjust its level from -6dB to +6dB in 1dB increments. The Q for each frequency can be set to 1, 1.5, or 3. In addition to the user-adjustable EQ (User's 1-6), tone presets are stored into memory, allowing you to recall the best setting for different types of music. You may choose from the following tone presets: Rock, Pops, News, or Flat. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Subwoofer Level Control: The level of the subwoofer preamp outputs can be adjusted to balance the output of your subwoofer with that of your other speakers. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Subwoofer Phase Selector: The phase of the subwoofer outputs may be set to normal (0 degrees) or reverse (180 degrees); this function allows you to minimize phase cancellation of bass frequencies, for stronger bass response. [/FONT]
*goes and rubs one off*

Lol my friend has that deck in his jeep with a sound bar and thats it hahahaha

My friend ran pioneer 4" 3-ways upfront...sounded a little better than stock. My other friend is running infinity 2-ways in the dash and they are amazing little speakers.

ok for those who said infinity what does some of these numbers mean?
2-Way Speaker Specifications

http://www.cardomain.com/item/INFREF4012I?vq_id=none

2-Way Speaker SpecificationsSize: 4
Sensitivity: 92 dB
Frequency Response: 85-21,000 Hz
Recommended RMS Power: 35W
Peak Power Handling: 105W
Impedance: 4 ohms

The kenwood has the same specifications info..
http://www.cardomain.com/item/KENKFC1080IE?vq_id=none
Sensitivity: 91 dB
Frequency Response: 45-20,000 Hz
Recommended RMS Power: 20W
Peak Power Handling: 140W

And then the polk

http://www.cardomain.com/item/POLDB400?vq_id=none

Frequency Response: 85-22,000 Hz

Mrs. Crash said:
ok for those who said infinity what does some of these numbers mean?
2-Way Speaker Specifications

http://www.cardomain.com/item/INFREF4012I?vq_id=none

Sensitivity: 92 dB
Frequency Response: 85-21,000 Hz

The kenwood has the same specifications info..
http://www.cardomain.com/item/KENKFC1080IE?vq_id=none
Frequency Response: 45-20,000 Hz
Recommended RMS Power: 20W
Peak Power Handling: 140W

And then the polk

http://www.cardomain.com/item/POLDB400?vq_id=none

Frequency Response: 85-22,000 Hz

Hmm the kenwood has better frequency respone which equals better sound range, but has lower rms power which is like your constant running power the other wattage is your peak wich it cant handle hitting all the time. The others have higher RMS but not quite as broad of sound range. So louder or better sound quality?

Mrs. Crash said:
So when it comes to Frequency Response you want lower numbers? Cause Kenwoods were lower.
Woops im an idiot, the number on the left would be what kind of bass it can hit the higher number is how high of a note they can hit so acctually the infinity have the best range, doh i didnt read carefully

Mrs. Crash said:
So when it comes to Frequency Response you want lower numbers? Cause Kenwoods were lower.
Youd wnat the infinities. Its sensitivity is 1db higher than any of the other two. Also it only goes down to 85hz. A 4" cannot produce audible sounds at 45hz. Theyre not made to do that. A subwoofers nominal range is usually from 20-100hz. Your pioneer deck probably puts out 18w rms and 50 pk. It would work good with the infinities. Remember when looking at smaller speakers a sound range from 100hz+ is best since anything below that it most likely wont produce very well.

Example. My speakers can hit 30hz notes in my truck (i got test tones on CD). Can i hear it? Yes. Does it osund good? No. Youll be lucky if oyu can hear any sound below 100hz from a 4" speaker.

I could bring Ashleys 4Runner out to you to listen to (seriously). I just put some Infinity Kappas in it with an Alpine deck for her for Christmas. It would show you exactly what yours would sound like with some decent Infinities. I love the clarity and quality. The only complaint (which I expected) is a lack of bass response due to the small cones (I assume) since I used 4" up front and 5.25" in the rear to fit in stock locations. Plans include a sub of some kind to round it all out, but I think it sounds great the way it is.

Ive always been impressed by Inifinty speakers in just about every install Ive done. I run the 6.5" Kappas in my truck as well.

~T.J.