• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

School me on the GM crate LSX 454

redneckengineered

Trailer Park Panty Dropper
So I ended up with one of these fine pieces of machinery. It has been sitting in my shop for close to a year now just chilling and being awesome. I really have no desire to swap out the stroker motor in my buggy or anything. Right now it is just a conversation starter/beer drinking foot rest/insurance policy. I figure if I sold it my stroker would throw a rod the next ride. Anywho, I'm looking to learn more about it. I know all about the LSX 454 block and how bad ass they are but specifically, I'd like to know more about these exact crate motors from GM. Not some custom LSX 454 build your brother sister cousin saw in TCs rig. If anyone has actually ran one that would be great to hear feedback. I've talked to a few guys that built them but never talked to anyone that just dropped in the crate version and peeled out.

fuel injection/harness/computer recommendations?
What kind of power do they make on injection? GM specs are with a carb
Any issues to look out for?
Any recommended mods outside of what GM has already done?
ETC ETC

It seems like it would be pretty easy to get going. I'm assuming I could just snag a complete LS7 intake with rails and injectors, bolt on accessories of my choice, and figure out what engine management I want, get a tune and rock out.

Attachments

• 20160912_093142.jpg
    20160912_093142.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_20160911_131430.jpg
    IMG_20160911_131430.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 174
For some reason I was under the impression the showgirl buggy had a crate 454 LSX with aftermarket injection. That has always stood out as one of the best running nasty motors I have been around. Seemed to go strait from on kill to potato potato no matter how twisted up it was.

The-Boss said:
For some reason I was under the impression the showgirl buggy had a crate 454 LSX with aftermarket injection. That has always stood out as one of the best running nasty motors I have been around. Seemed to go strait from on kill to potato potato no matter how twisted up it was.

Yea, I thought that too but could never get confirmation if it was the actual GM crate motor or custom spec build. Maybe someone here knows him.

Re:

Damn I just came into this thread seeing if there was any twenties or tens being dropped so I could pick up!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Re:

tonybolton said:
Damn I just came into this thread seeing if there was any twenties or tens being dropped so I could pick up!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Only if you dropped them.

With all the different variations gm made I would look for something stockish. I have heard that just throwing a gm cam and tuning an ls creates a 469.34% increase in power.

I spent a lot of money for a set of after market heads that only slightly out flow the heads that come on that engine. Even though I still have an idle issue in my tune I recommend the Holley EFI. The HP can be bought as a plug and play kit but is limited in inputs and outputs. The Dominator is more piece mill, has more inputs and outputs and uses duel 02's. Software is identical for both units. Program has a bunch of "box tunes" may work for you but plan a trip to a tuner. Set perimeters in the software for your engine, download a start up tune and tune it out from there. If I could get a do-over, my injectors, intake, TB etc would all be Holley.
I know you don't like the truck intakes so stay clear of the FAST truck intake whatever you do, I am looking to replace mine and head back to the tuner. RTR

I just went through a fuel injection change. After talking with people, seeing the problems people here have, and racing with people that swap systems and parts almost weekly, I would NEVER buy I fuel injection system that wasn't blank. All these self learns, adjustable base tunes, must see o2 sensors are a nightmare for what we do. Get something that you can 100% tune yourself and tell the pcm exactly what to look for and exactly what to do in certain scenarios.

BUG-E J said:
I just went through a fuel injection change. After talking with people, seeing the problems people here have, and racing with people that swap systems and parts almost weekly, I would NEVER buy I fuel injection system that wasn't blank. All these self learns, adjustable base tunes, must see o2 sensors are a nightmare for what we do. Get something that you can 100% tune yourself and tell the pcm exactly what to look for and exactly what to do in certain scenarios.

My Mast system runs like an absolute top. It's similar to what "The-Boss" said. I can twist it up all day long and it just goes back to potato potato no matter how hard you beat it. No stalling, no stuttering ever. Just great smooth power. I love it.

Speaking of which, I did talk to Mast about this engine. They have a tune for it and said their ECU and harness would swap right over so if my stroker ever **** the bed it would be a piece of cake swap.

I've also heard GM sells a pre-programmed engine controller and harness for this motor but I know ZERO about it.

I don't have experience with that crate engine but, I've got the LS376/525 crate engine with the GM controller and harness and it's been absolutely flawless, so I would definitely recommend running the GM electronics. Easy to check codes (OBD2) and easily tunable at any tuner shop since the ECUs are programmed as a 2008 Corvette.
Yes manual version for old school trans.

yankster said:
I don't have experience with that crate engine but, I've got the LS376/525 crate engine with the GM controller and harness and it's been absolutely flawless, so I would definitely recommend running the GM electronics. Easy to check codes (OBD2) and easily tunable at any tuner shop since the ECUs are programmed as a 2008 Corvette.
Yes manual version for old school trans.

Nice! It was a little unclear but does it come with a tune for your particular crate motor and you just plug and play and peel out?

Tune is ready to go right out of the box when you install the kit for that engine. It's a bit fat to be safe so there's a few ponies left with additional tuning. I've rocked mine the way it is with zero issues since the plugs are always clean and no overheating.

Damn that's pretty sweet. I almost went with the gm ram jet stand alone set up on mine till I saw that price didn't include everything needed.

Can't speak directly about this motor, but another thumbs up for Mast. I put there system on my bone stock '06 ls2, 6 years no issue, with great customer service from mast. And as a plus, talked with them last month and they have a new tune for me to give it another 50-60 hp on top of the 40 that the computer boosted the motor at the start. Basically net 100 more hp than stock 400hp output.

Sorry for the lack of input. More lsx tech please...

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Tapatalk