• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Seatbelts save lives

Finally putting harnesses in the ol' Sploder. Never felt good about the stock belts. Besides, when **** got sketchy and I had to pull cable, the 3 point would lock and I would have to unbuckle to reach the winch controls in the dash.

Unfortunately bumping this backup. Keep the family in your prayers.

SUMMERTOWN, TN- Lawrence County officials say a 12-year-old died this morning after being involved in an off road accident on Friday night.

Lawrence County EMS was dispatched to "Wheelin' in the Country", 128 Anderson Creek Road, Summertown, on Friday night at approximately 11:30 p.m.

When crews arrived they found a 12-year-old female from Fayetteville, trapped under an off road vehicle. The female was taken to Southern Tennessee Regional Hospital and then airlifted to Vanderbilt Medical Center.

According to Lawrence County Sherriff Jimmy Brown the 12-year-old girl passed away from her injuries this morning at Vanderbilt Medical Center.

Sheriff Brown said that three people were in the off road vehicle when it apparently rolled over. He identified the driver as Thomas Ruggeri, Fayetteville. Brown said that Ruggeri's daughter was treated and released from a local hospital but a friend of the family suffered serious injuries and sadly later died from those injuries.

The owner of Whellin' In The Country said the off-road vehicle "lightly rolled and the female was ejected through the passenger's side window"

The Sheriff told WOPC HD News that they had made an arrest in connection with the accident.

Thomas Edward Ruggeri, Fayetteville, had been charged with Vehicular Assault, Reckless Endangerment, Possession of Drug Paraphernaliaa and Operating a Vehicle Under The Influence. He is currently being held without bond at the Lawrence County Jail.

Officials say they expect the charges to be upgraded due to the death of the 12-year-old.

"The occupants were unrestrained in the vehicle and the young female was ejected" Brown said.

The off-road vehicle has been impounded by the Lawrence County Sheriff's Office. The Tennessee Highway Patrol and the 22nd Judicial District Attorney's office will be assisting in the investigation.

That's terrible. I do not understand why anyone would not have a belt on, and pay extra extra attention to make sure a child does.

So basically he was drunk and doing drugs while taking his daughter and her friend wheelin....I have no words for that. Praying for the victims family.

Park owners should make rules that anyone caught wheeling without belts on will be banned permanently. That would eliminate the morons and keep the park from being shut down. An innocent child is gone because of an adult's stupidity.

Re: Re: Seatbelts save lives

Sawzall said:
Park owners should make rules that anyone caught wheeling without belts on will be banned permanently. That would eliminate the morons and keep the park from being shut down. An innocent child is gone because of an adult's stupidity.
I blame the drinking and driving with kids in the vehicle as much as I do the not wearing the belts. Everyone gets tore up about seat belts but turns a blind eye to the drinking and driving. I understand people wanting to have a few, I also understand them driving in the woods. But put kids in the mix and it is just as bad or worse than the seat belts.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Re: Re: Seatbelts save lives

Pumpkin said:
I blame the drinking and driving with kids in the vehicle as much as I do the not wearing the belts. Everyone gets tore up about seat belts but turns a blind eye to the drinking and driving. I understand people wanting to have a few, I also understand them driving in the woods. But put kids in the mix and it is just as bad or worse than the seat belts.

I agree with that also but the girl would probably be alive and unhurt if properly restrained. It also gets dangerous for the bystanders when the drivers get drunk.

Re:

Seatbelts or not, that was just a total clusterfuck of shitty parenting. He has ****ed himself up for life and killed his daughter. Man that is such a tragic situation...

Re: Re:

TacomaJD said:
Seatbelts or not, that was just a total clusterfuck of shitty parenting. He has ****ed himself up for life and killed his daughter. Man that is such a tragic situation...

It was his daughter's friend. His daughter was checked out at the local hospital for minor injuries.

Sawzall said:

I was thinking about this last night and was going to type it this morning. I think this is why more and more parks are not allowing 4-wheelers, no cage and no restraints. Years ago it always made me mad when you weren't allowed to bring an atv to a park, but the more I do this the more I understand.

I don't understand why park owners should be liable for people not putting their belts on.
I fail to see why park owners should enforce a seat belt rule.

They aren't the police and I bet they have other things to do that look for seat belt violators.

Bebop said:
I don't understand why park owners should be liable for people not putting their belts on.
I fail to see why park owners should enforce a seat belt rule.

They aren't the police and I bet they have other things to do that look for seat belt violators.

Welcome to America.

TBItoy said:
Welcome to America.

People can and will sue for anything even if a waiver was signed. The one being sued can win and still have thousands of dollars in legal fees. I have first hand knowledge of this.

That is exactly why the list of who my boys ride with is very short. This is so tragic and ruined so many lives. I have no problem with guys getting tore up at camp but it is just a bad idea all the way around drinking and riding. I saw more 4 wheeler wrecks and was probably in a few because we were drinking and just not 100% on our game. Think about how many times you have seen a rig almost roll over, a winch cable do something funny or a hundred other little things go wrong cause folks were drunk and not paying attention. It is pretty much a losing battle and I understand that it is fun to drink and play cause I have done it but I sure wish it would slow down. The seatbelt thing is a given.