• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

self centering rear steer

flippinrigs1

Gonna be starting a build real soon and gonna be using Rockwells with rear steer.
I was wondering, what does everyone use for the self centering rear steer ???
Been doing some research but can't find any useful information
Really would be nice, don't wanna have to eyeball it all the time.. thanks

yankster said:
This is the kit most use. Best self-centering kit out there in my opinion. Not cheap but you definitely get what you pay for.

http://stazworks.com/old_rear_steer.htm
Whatever Nathan Tidwell has is the ****! I have drivin a few rear steer rigs over the years and his is fast enough to use while racing, only moves as far as you push the switch, and self centers like a boss. He told me it was stazworks so I'm assuming its this kit. :dunno:

I guess it would be nice to have, but Ive never really seen the expense of it, It doesn't bother me to do mine by hand. But my rear wheels are hardly ever straight anyways, I think I use my rear steer as much as the front.

38 Special has a Stazworks setup. Solo Buggy does not center. I always use it on the 38. It was a place to cut cost and use the parts we already owned on Solo.

flippinrigs1 said:
What about psc?
I just scanned through their website and all I saw was a rear steer valve. Log splitter style.

JohnG said:
38 Special has a Stazworks setup. Solo Buggy does not center. I always use it on the 38. It was a place to cut cost and use the parts we already owned on Solo.
Do you find yourself missing the self-centering on Solo?

I love Stazworks and own one of his early setups. His wheels are the only ones I'll run. I was hesitant to buy at first because I thought the sensing ram was too fragile and would get destroyed. I was right, it got destroyed the first time a log hit it. I did use it a few test runs before that though and it did not return exactly to the same point every time. If it was centering from the left it would end up too far left and from the right too far right. I would always have to nudge it back using the manual controls which defeated the purpose, IMO. After destroying the ram I contacted him and by that time he had changed sensing rams to one that used 2 more sensors in effort to alleviate having to nudge it all the time. Problem was that two more sensors meant basically buying a whole new system since I needed a new board capable of handling the extra sensors. Screw that. He said he could make me a new sensor like my old one for $250 but knowing how flimsy the old one was I wasn't going to invest $250 into another. Around the same time I installed the foot controls that I have been pimping ever since and I got use to them. I no longer find any need for self centering. Moving the controls from hand to foot has resulted in my foot just always doing what needs to be done without thinking.

IMHO a truly great self center system has yet to be mass produced. I think the best custom one I've seen to date has been the one that jpmassey on Pirate made for his rig using a PLC and a potentiometer. That thing is deadly accurate and has an LCD readout to show him where the rear tires are at all times.

Beatdown buggy self centers when u let go of joystick. I really liked that.

WFO has the Stazworks. I like the mode switch allowing it to either return to center when the joystick is let go or return to center only when the button is pushed.

2010 Jim's Garage 4429
2012 Jim's Garage YJ
2013 Wide Open Design WFO

I just recently ordered the Stazwerks system but it hasn't arrived yet. He's building the wiring harness for it. I had to get some measurements for him for my buggies routing length of where all the components will be located.

He has a new light feature to offer for it as well. You can get no lights (what I ordered) or center light and left/right lights as well as multiple lights left/right that come on as you turn, the sharper you turn, more lights come on. I'm not going to be watching that while I'm driving so I thought it wasn't necessary for my application.

Does Stazwerks sell electric rear steer pumps also or what. I need a new electric rear steer pump and self centering setup.