• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Senior Year YJ Build

NotMatt said:
That is pretty tall... heh.

Oh yeah, and the press is not absolutely required on the needle bearings. I remember I got discouraged at that point too, but I was able to pop both of those things off with a hammer and a properly sized piece of pipe if I remember right.

Got them out :cool: Assembly begins, I don't think I'll have to go to school tomorrow. :D

Well since I haven't had school over the last couple days I got some stuff done on the rig before going to work. The SYE is finished and the TC is back in the rig. I'm in the process of cleaning up the rear 44, the shock mounts and spring perches are cut off, just gota grind it down a little. I got my D30 high steer arm yesterday so today I took apart the front end so I could get stuff mocked up. I found out I won't be able to run my tie rod on top of the knuckle liked I'd hoped because of clearance issues with the leaf springs. I now have to ream the holes for the 1 ton ends and take some link measurements. More work to do when I get home from work :D

Cascade_Crawler said:
Well since I haven't had school over the last couple days I got some stuff done on the rig before going to work. The SYE is finished and the TC is back in the rig. I'm in the process of cleaning up the rear 44, the shock mounts and spring perches are cut off, just gota grind it down a little. I got my D30 high steer arm yesterday so today I took apart the front end so I could get stuff mocked up. I found out I won't be able to run my tie rod on top of the knuckle liked I'd hoped because of clearance issues with the leaf springs. I now have to ream the holes for the 1 ton ends and take some link measurements. More work to do when I get home from work :D

Hopefully no school again tomorow if it snows tonight so we both can get some more work done on our rigs:;

People looking to buy stuff...always check with venders on Pirate4x4.com!! I've been able to score more stuff for CHEAP off there then anywhere else. You can even get stores into a sorta bidding war on the lowest price of a product. Check it out!

SYE halfway done with the new shaft in:
a29.jpg

All sealed up and ready to bolt back in:
a30.jpg

Tera high steer knuckle:
a33.jpg

a31.jpg

a32.jpg

Rocker protection for $30

3x3 angle
couter sink bit
some hardware

I cut an inch off the bottom of the tub for a little more clearance without hacking into the floor. With a little help from a BFH they fit up there real nice.

Hey Crusty do these meet your standards? :flipoff:

a-40.jpg

Cascade_Crawler said:
Rocker protection for $30

3x3 angle
couter sink bit
some hardware

I cut an inch off the bottom of the tub for a little more clearance without hacking into the floor. With a little help from a BFH they fit up there real nice.

a-40.jpg
Holy **** what a concept! :redneck: :haha:

Man, I gotta get moving on my winter improvements on my rig so we can wheel this spring when you get this beast done. :D

NotMatt said:
Holy **** what a concept! :redneck: :haha:

Man, I gotta get moving on my winter improvements on my rig so we can wheel this spring when you get this beast done. :D

I'm quite creative :flipoff:

What are your plans for this winter?

Cascade_Crawler said:
I'm quite creative :flipoff:

What are your plans for this winter?

XJ springs in the rear, gas tank relocation, wagoneer springs up front, a real cage, "fix" the rocker panels... and some other little things (like new tires :rolleyes:)

Are you moving the steering box?

Cascade_Crawler said:
Fawk no! I wanna see you spend two hours with a damn band saw, and cut 1/3 of a piece of poop pipe off, and weld the rest of that bitch onto those sliders :flipoff:

Crusty loves the no buying crappy bolt on parts at 4WP, build your own beefy stuff yourself action :D

NotMatt said:
XJ springs in the rear, gas tank relocation, wagoneer springs up front, a real cage, "fix" the rocker panels... and some other little things (like new tires :rolleyes:)

Are you moving the steering box?

Sweet...quite the task. I'm not movin the steering box at this point. Since my draglink is above the springs and my tierod is below I don't see them hitting. In your case with flattops and true high steer is where you may run into issues. But Sam (lincolnlock) told me he never moved his and never ran into issues. Through pirate searching I never got a clear "yes gotta move it", or "no dont have to"...

The XJ springs and gas tank relocation is on my list of things to do, but right now I gota get this thing to move under its own power.

the monster jeep saga continues

Finally some real progress! The power outage screwed me up but I'm back on track now.

Rear axle mocked up:

a35.jpg

Rubber spacers I made to go between the shackle and the waggy bushings. The waggy bushings arn't as wide as the YJ's so my shackles were doing this \ /. We'll see how long these hold up or if I just wasted my time.

a36.jpg

Messing with pinion angle:

a37.jpg

Sitting on it's tires. Damn, this thing is way to tall. The springs are soft though, hopefully after a few weeks they will settle down. Otherwise leafs are coming out of the packs.

a39.jpg

Some trimming will be needed :D My wheelbase ended up being 97.5"

a40.jpg

Looking good!

Did you make the bolt sleave longer or just put in the rubber spacers? You should make the bolt sleave through the spring longer making sure the sleave is what the shackles are being bolted tight against not the spacer and the rubber bushings. The shackle will be limited and ride stiff if it is tight on the bushings.

You may be able to use the old sleaves in the stock springs? I may have some laying around... you can have them if you want them.

Last edited:
boxboy said:
Looking good!

Did you make the bolt sleave longer or just put in the rubber spacers? You should make the bolt sleave through the spring longer making sure the sleave is what the shackles are being bolted tight against not the spacer and the rubber bushings. The shackle will be limited and ride stiff if it is tight on the bushings.

You may be able to use the old sleaves in the stock springs? I may have some laying around... you can have them if you want them.

No I didn't Scott. I thought about using a metal spacer at first but figured it would be better to have the shackle pivot on rubber instead of metal. Guess I'm wrong. What about using a washer that was the same size as the sleeve?

If you have sleeves laying around I'll take them so I don't have to mess with getting mine out.