• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Shaved 14 Bolt

wgamble

Someone give me some clarification on this.

If I was to purchase a 14 bolt from a CUCV truck with the 4.56 gears and Detroit Locker, could I change the gears to 5.38, use the 15 bolt shave kit and still be able to keep the Detroit in it? If so, the only other thing would be to do the disk brake swap and truss it correct?

Re:

You'd need to get a 410 down open carrier to swap your locker in. Because 5.38s only come in "thick" gears as far as I know.

Might as well buy a cheap 373 gear axle and add locker and gears.

Is the Barnes worth the cost if you already have aftermarket heavy diff cover? Been thinking about modifying mine with what I currently have. Quite a few write ups online about it. Not quite the gain of what the Barnes or the 15 bolt kit will give you, but you'd atleast get rid of the lip.

Sorry for the derail but I was literally just looking at that TMR kit last night.

rpf500 said:
Is the Barnes worth the cost if you already have aftermarket heavy diff cover? Been thinking about modifying mine with what I currently have. Quite a few write ups online about it. Not quite the gain of what the Barnes or the 15 bolt kit will give you, but you'd atleast get rid of the lip.

Sorry for the derail but I was literally just looking at that TMR kit last night.

The barnes cover is like going up 3 inches on tire size... think about that

Re:

tonybolton said:
Never really looked into this kit but holy **** that's a lot of work for not much more gain than the Barnes 13 bolt kit.

X2

I bought an Under Cover Fabworks "13 Bolt" cover. Super easy, and I couldn't see the extra money or work for less than 1" clearance difference

Barnes 3/8 cover DOES NOT REQUIRE GEAR CUT
thumbnail.asp

UCF 1/4" cover DOES NOT REQUIRE GEAR CUT
14-bolt-hd-diff-cover.jpg

TMR 15 bolt kit (REQUIRES CUT GEAR AND CUT/WELD HOUSING AND CUT/WELD DIFF COVER $$)
blueprint_101.jpg

APPARENTLY TMR HAS A "15BOLT" KIT AVAILABLE NOW THAT DOES NOT REQUIRE A CUT GEAR, BUT THEY DON'T HAVE PICS OF IT ON THEIR SITE, JUST THE SAME CUT GEAR PICS ::)

muddinmetal said:
The barnes cover is like going up 3 inches on tire size... think about that

Gotcha. What's the difference clearance wise in a Barnes type kit vs me shaving/cutting what I have and modding my Solid diff cover?

rpf500 said:
Gotcha. What's the difference clearance wise in a Barnes type kit vs me shaving/cutting what I have and modding my Solid diff cover?

The Barnes cover is not a kit. It's literally just a cover that doesn't have the lower bolt. You bolt it on and cut the lip off.

The TMR kit w/o gear cutting is the set of instructions that say "cut 1/4in less off of the housing during kit install."

I have a TMR 15bolt how to and install in this tech/fab section. I enjoyed the process and for me made a huge difference. Check it out

RustyC said:
No matter how much you shave them there is always a taller rock. :****:

LOL! True! I think think big gain is just getting rid of that dang lip on the bottom(especially for the rear axleusage). While the Barnes cover/cut isn't as much as the full blown machine work/fab of the "kits", I don't get that "tossed out boat anchor" stoppage like I used to with the uncut diff. You feel it hit...but you can back up a few inches and hit it again slightly quicker and it will now slide over the rock instead of grabbing on to it and trying to flip the rock up and lift your tires off the ground another 6-8-10-20 inches.

Help shave a couple 14 bolts we usually build a custom cover and turn down the ring gear on a lathe with a grinder seems to work really well done 3 so far no probs

I bought a 14b with a 4:56 and a Detroit, I run 5:13's it was easy to find someone to swap my gears and carrier to someone that had the 3:73 carrier, I put my Detroit in his carrier and set up some 5:13's, he got 4:56's to weld up, and yes, 5:13's and 5:38's only come in thick gears and they jack the price up on them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk