• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Sheet Metal Forming Fun!

Comet

Ok, I realize that most wheelers aren't going to take the time to hand form patch panels for rust repair. Hell, road signs bolted in, expanded metal, or just about any scrap material works just fine and I've seen many do it. But I use my Jeep as a test bed for practiciing on for things I want to look nice. Plus, I enjoy doing this kind of thing. So, with that in mind, I have been hand forming repair panels for the floor of my Jeep.

First, here is a pic of the rusty floor area. It may not look that bad, but it's worse than the pic shows.
Rustyfloor.jpg

Before I started, I needed to make a mandrel to duplicate the bead in the floor.
Beadmandrelr.jpg

Then I went to work with the tear drop mallet and sand bag as well as a body hammer. Here are a couple pics after about an hours work.
FinishedPatchPanel.jpg

Finishedpatchpanel2.jpg

And here is a pic of the panel set in place. I will cut the floor and weld it in a later.

PatchPanelsetinplace.jpg

War-Jeeper said:
I also injoy the little things like this! Although in my heep they rust holes are much worse :(
Well, I'm nearing the end. Now just the little ones, but I had some pretty bad spots too.