• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Sheetmetal- Rivot or tack weld?

TheMasterbater

The advantages to rivots are obviously an option of easy removal to access anything. But do you get bad vibration in the sheetmetal? I really dont want to spent 2000 hours tack welding it all.

used screw/nuts...it rattles sometimes but I can tighten it up and off I go.:redneck:

Rivot's get loose when they flex. If they are used on a spot that wont flex go for it. I used them on my corner gaurds and have only ripped them off once. (tree)

I have tons of pop rivets on my rig. All of the floors, tunnel cover, fire wall, skins, etc. Over all I,m happy with it. As a rule no vibrations but that would depend on the spacing and what you're attaching.

Nuts/bolts. They won't loose there clamping force like a rivot will and if they do you just tighten them up.

Lay a bead of silicon down where its going to contact other metal... that should get rid of the vibs and still allow you to use the rivots

once you bend up all the sheep metal, and its all kringled up, it makes little noise.

Lay a bead of silicon down where its going to contact other metal... that should get rid of the vibs and still allow you to use the rivots

That is what I did with my roof skins and floors in the ftoy. Roof I let it tack up just for a bit and then stuck it on so it actually stuck to both the tube and the aluminum,(roof was bolted on) but on the floors I put it on the tube work, let it dry up then stuck it on and used rivets. Get the stuff that stays flexible.

The advantages to rivots are obviously an option of easy removal to access anything. But do you get bad vibration in the sheetmetal? I really dont want to spent 2000 hours tack welding it all.

Rivots it is :D Back to the garage i go to drill 9 million holes :cheer:

Soooo, you'd rather spend 4000 hrs drilling/riveting....:eeek:

:fawkdancesmiley:

Self-tapping sheetmetal screws are fast and seem to hold well, I would weld the floor and silicone is a great glue

Self-tapping sheetmetal screws are fast and seem to hold well, I would weld the floor and silicone is a great glue

Problem i see with those is, the head can get filled with mud, tree bark, and such. Making it hard to remove them later. PLus the ones i already have in the garage, have a head on them that would get ripped off.

The rivots are actually working out quite well. :awesomework:

The rivots are actually working out quite well. :awesomework:

What material rivots did you go with? I like aluminum but they do tend to pop loose now and then, easy fix though. Stainless is much stronger but a bitch to get out later if you need to. Steel is plenty strong enough but will rust.....

What material rivots did you go with? I like aluminum but they do tend to pop loose now and then, easy fix though. Stainless is much stronger but a bitch to get out later if you need to. Steel is plenty strong enough but will rust.....

Not to mention with certain steel rivots you are going to kill your hand if you are using a typical old school rivot gun.

Aluminum. We have a bunch of them that are the wrong size for the race car.

And i have one of them fancy air Pop rivot guns, so my hands wont be getting tired Crash :redneck: