• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Shifting issue 98 tahoe 4x4

Brian H

It just started acting weird...........seems like it has 1st drive and over drive....It doesnt shift until i let off the the gas over 20+mph or a steady gas pedal at around 25+mph. When it shifts it seems like it goes right to drive. No slipping at all just seems like its missing second and the fluid is clean and smells fine. Is it a shift solonoid?

I guess that may only apply if it's like my Suburban. had a similar issue and was informed that the shifting was based on fuel pressure. $15.00 and ten minutes later, viola, all better. Drives better than it did when I bought it.

I guess that may only apply if it's like my Suburban. had a similar issue and was informed that the shifting was based on fuel pressure. $15.00 and ten minutes later, viola, all better. Drives better than it did when I bought it.

What year sub?

It just started acting weird...........seems like it has 1st drive and over drive....It doesnt shift until i let off the the gas over 20+mph or a steady gas pedal at around 25+mph. When it shifts it seems like it goes right to drive. No slipping at all just seems like its missing second and the fluid is clean and smells fine. Is it a shift solonoid?

Sounds like a valve body issue...

New fuel pump and filter. Replaced it when i replaced the engine. It was doing it just before i replaced the engine. Time for a new tranny then crash????? Or could it be a solonoid?

New fuel pump and filter. Replaced it when i replaced the engine. It was doing it just before i replaced the engine. Time for a new tranny then crash????? Or could it be a solonoid?

Usually its the 1/2 shift valve. There are valves behind the soloniods that stick.

They have a speed sensor that goes out... Also, there's a brake neutral switch that can cause shifting problems...

Does it throw any codes???

They have a speed sensor that goes out... Also, there's a brake neutral switch that can cause shifting problems...

Does it throw any codes???

No codes ... wish there was. I want to figure it out before i go and replace it like i did the engine for something stupid like a fuel pump.:haha:

No codes ... wish there was. I want to figure it out before i go and replace it like i did the engine for something stupid like a fuel pump.:haha:

Thought you changed the engine due to a burnt valve & the fact it had high miles???? :prod:

How does a fuel pump not feed one cylinder?

Just enough fuel to get to the closer cylinders i guess....the number 4 cylinder injector is at the end of the injector cluster . I was told it wasnt getting enough fuel pressure to pop the injector. Replaced the engine and it acted the same...replaced the fuel pump and it ran great.

Just enough fuel to get to the closer cylinders i guess....the number 4 cylinder injector is at the end of the injector cluster . I was told it wasnt getting enough fuel pressure to pop the injector. Replaced the engine and it acted the same...replaced the fuel pump and it ran great.

I have never ever seen that.... Not even on a single rail input(returnless)

I have never ever seen that.... Not even on a single rail input(returnless)

Thats what the chevy tech said....:scratchhead:Said it needs 52lbs to fire the injectors and it was getting 50 @ idle and 45 @ throttle.

Here is the info straight from GM

An increase in fuel pressure causes the poppet nozzle ball to open from its seat against the extension spring force. This allows the fuel to flow from the nozzle (at approximately 280 kPa (40 psi)).

This is the same for 4.6 v6 be it the CPI or SCPI