• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

siping IROKS

gas is on the right

what do you guys think.

..I have a set of 37x14.00x17 iroks on 17x9 trailreadys ...I bought the tires new last year....if I had them siped do you think it would be that much better in the snow and mud....I worked at a tire shop for 6-7 years I understand what siping does...If I just had them center siped is what im thinking

I just dont want to have them chunk out

Any tire siped will have more of a tendency to chunk out, especially in high-traction environments where the terrain is rough/rocky. With the added traction in the snow however, it's worth it to me. And yes, only center siped...

Iroks are so soft I think you would do more harm then good... i would hot knife the lugs before siping

Iroks are so soft I think you would do more harm then good... i would hot knife the lugs before siping
I've never run Iroks, but I can see this being true, as I have seen more grooved Iroks than Siped...come to think of it, I have never seen a siped Irok.

Grooving to bring new life absolutely yes. Sipping IMO is a bad idea with how soft the lugs are and you will just tear chunks out of them.

The center of mine were siped , they seemed to work good in the snow, ice and rain. I never got to wheel much on them to see if they would start chunking. Someone wanted the rig worse than me.:mad:

The center lugs would probably hold up "ok" being sipped but I have seen the outer lugs shred when sipped..

Here is what I did. Worked real well.. Grooved the big and medium outside lugs from the outside in aboooooot a quarter to a half inch from the outside edge to prevent chunking. For the middle lugs I did the small and medium lugs once and the big lug twice.

These were bias

I grooved & siped the **** out of mine brand new in 2011.
They're holding up fine. Small chunk here & there don't hinder the over all traction.
Mine stick real good. Siping helps a bias tire compare to a radial in the deep snow from what I've experimented with.
No matter what, you got to keep the rubber soft, as long as posible. I still believe a 38 Gumbo radial is the ****! But, IROKs have a tougher make up.
I cut & sipe everything I got for traction. But my rigs are trail only.
This is the pattern in my 39.5 on the right. Grooved for flex, & siped for sticky.

I think it is more about your driving habits. If you spin a lot, then it will bake them off. But, I would do a 5/32 and see what happens. It will help.

I still believe a 38 Gumbo radial is the ****! But

X2 on 12" wheels :awesomework:

After inspecting my 39.5's, there are quite a few chunks out of them from my siping. But, the hook up like no other! I usually like SX's on the trail.
I intented the IROKs for a snow tire only, but have taken them on the trail.
Either way, I believe siping gives the sticky, but I won't be siping as much on my 42's. Just the centers, & grooved for flexibilty.
Side by side, grooved vs. not grooved, is an amazingly softer tread pattern.
& ya! the wider the rim the better for floatation. :awesomework:

i can confirm the chunking from siping **** out of my center lugs. imo the irok is already such an open tread desighn the grooving is not necessary, but im sure i will get schooled sometime by a grooved set.

now that mine are under 1/2 tread i will be grooving them. imop when they are new they don't need any additional siping or grooving but once they get rounded off grooving really gives them new life again.