• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Six Shooters vs 5th stud

4x4 labs has weld on six shooter plate, I have it on my 85 I'm running 40'' Iroks and punish my truck in the rocks, I Replaced all my studs with stock Toyota studs I've had this set up for a year and half so broken studs and they don't come loose. I think the weld on plates were like $50 I'm very Impressed :D

I bet if ya take off the arms and whack that block with a hammer it will fall off.

Unless the studs thread all the way through the knuckle too, I dont see any improvement.

Why not just weld the arms on the knuckle? Cuz the knuckle is cast and not weldeable.:;

4x4 labs should be smart enough to realize thats not a good idea.

The only way that will add ANY strenght is if ya weld it to the knuckle grease filler plug (mild steel) and the steering stop bolts (mild steel).

brad i asked bobby when he was welding mine...the 5th stud u weld the nut in side the nukle...bobby welded one handed it to me i broke it off in my hand...then i made a joke and said we otta have tina weld it...he re welded handed it to me ...and i cranked on it ...then put em on been 2 years now..i wheel every day almost.why buy a 6 shooter sept they look cool.weld em after its orenge hot..then throw em in the wood stove..let it burn out then you will have a strong cast weld.crash makes a great point.

I bet if ya take off the arms and whack that block with a hammer it will fall off.

Unless the studs thread all the way through the knuckle too, I dont see any improvement.

Why not just weld the arms on the knuckle? Cuz the knuckle is cast and not weldeable.:;

4x4 labs should be smart enough to realize thats not a good idea.

The only way that will add ANY strenght is if ya weld it to the knuckle grease filler plug (mild steel) and the steering stop bolts (mild steel).

You know better than that... Cast steel is VERY weldable if you have half an IQ point left you'd be able to make it stick rather well easily.

brad i asked bobby when he was welding mine...the 5th stud u weld the nut in side the nukle...bobby welded one handed it to me i broke it off in my hand...then i made a joke and said we otta have tina weld it...he re welded handed it to me ...and i cranked on it ...then put em on been 2 years now..i wheel every day almost.why buy a 6 shooter sept they look cool.weld em after its orenge hot..then throw em in the wood stove..let it burn out then you will have a strong cast weld.crash makes a great point.

I run fifth stup on my rig with no problems. I have done tons of them ofr others, but welding a chunk of threads on the outside of the knuckle is inferior to tacking a nut inside.

A fifth stud relies on the bolt and nut for its strength. The 4x4 labs relies on the weld to CAST IRON, the studs are only as strong as a not so good weld.
welding a nut inside a knuckle is very different.

The nut is bigger than the hole in the knuckle. The weld only keeps the nut form spinning while tightening it up.

The cast will weld, but not well. It takes a proper heating process and nickle rod also. It will still be alot weaker than welding to mild steel.

You know better than that... Cast steel is VERY weldable if you have half an IQ point left you'd be able to make it stick rather well easily.

There is no such thing as "CAST STEEL"

Nice try. Ask aboout cast steel on pirate!:haha:

steel is steel, iron is iron.

If it cuts clean with a torch its weldable. If its cuts like poop and gives a spark show its not a good idea to weld, its cast.

WT you of all folks should know this. But Ill argue with ya anyways, even if its an easy one.:beer:

Sometimes we forget that because we look up to somebody it doesnt mean they are always right. I hang out at Bob's alot and thought cast steel was real too. Then I got on pirate spouting my "CAST STEEL" knowledge and was quickly schooled.

Bobby is a smart man and I have learned alot from him too. But welding on cast is not a strong alternative.

Here is the thread from when I thought the same as you guys. I was so stubborn and didnt want ot listen to them either. I have a different view of welding on knuckles now. Please look here to learn.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=796819&highlight=

will you guys believe me if Crash says it?

Its a bad idea IMO.

First the knucles are cast but its not 100% cast steel. I have done many trail repairs where welding the knucle to the arm was needed. I can tell you just based off that I would not unless you are a good welder and know your metal properties. I consider myself a good welder but I would not do it.

There is no such thing as "CAST STEEL"

Nice try. Ask aboout cast steel on pirate!:haha:

steel is steel, iron is iron.

If it cuts clean with a torch its weldable. If its cuts like poop and gives a spark show its not a good idea to weld, its cast.

WT you of all folks should know this. But Ill argue with ya anyways, even if its an easy one.:beer:

Google says I'm right :flipoff: Cast steel is just iron with carbon added in and it can be cast. I've always been under the impression that the steering components on yota's are cast steel and the 3rd members, engine blocks etc are cast ductile iron.

Pretty much anything is weldable these days but your torch scenario is a good way to know what is easily weldable by the average joe in his garage. :;

I know factory yota steering arms weld very nicely and don't spit and fall apart like cast iron does when you MIG it..

I know factory yota steering arms weld very nicely and don't spit and fall apart like cast iron does when you MIG it..

Even tho google says there is such thing as cast steel its not used on the oarts we are talking about.

The stock and hysteer arms are forged steel, easily welded to.

ALOT of folks see the rough looking finish on forged parts and assume its cast and weld to it and think, "damn that cast welded good", when they werent welding on cast in the first place.

So if someone were to extrapolate this discussion to it's obvious end they'd have to ASSume after looking at the parts in question that they are cast steel then forged... They certainly aren't machined from a solid chunk. :D

So if someone were to extrapolate this discussion to it's obvious end they'd have to ASSume after looking at the parts in question that they are cast steel then forged... They certainly aren't machined from a solid chunk. :D

Then they are forged. The cast steel you refer to only is in the MFG process. Once its been forged its not the same metal anymore.

Then they are forged. The cast steel you refer to only is in the MFG process. Once its been forged its not the same metal anymore.

It's not the same metal anymore? Did it's properties get mixed up when they teleported it from the alien planet onto the USS enterprise for transport back to earth or what? :haha:

Face it, it is steel that is cast into shape then forged. We're both right and it can be welded if you know what you're doing. Preheat, post heat and maybe some needle scaler peaning to keep the cracks at bay while it cools then a nice sand cool down period. Yes it's work but it's worth it. :D

It's not the same metal anymore? Did it's properties get mixed up when they teleported it from the alien planet onto the USS enterprise for transport back to earth or what? :haha:

Face it, it is steel that is cast into shape then forged. We're both right and it can be welded if you know what you're doing. Preheat, post heat and maybe some needle scaler peaning to keep the cracks at bay while it cools then a nice sand cool down period. Yes it's work but it's worth it. :D

Nothing you have said has anything to do with the KNUCKLES being CAST IRON. Yes you can weld cast iron, but its ghetto at best.

The steering arms are NOT CAST IRON. The arms are FORGED STEEL. they can be welded peoperly without any special process.

face it trashy you have no clue what you ae talking about. In some postes you even confuse cast knuckles and centersections with forged parts like steering arms and pitman arms.

Face it, it is steel that is cast into shape then forged.

Face it you are wrong. It doesnt matter how funny your posts are.

The forged arms on my truck were never cast iron then forged into steel.

They were steel that was then forged (compressed or hammered into shape) to produce a much stronger part with the grain of the steel following the shape of my part.

WTF where did I ever mention or even infer that the knuckles or steering arms were cast iron? Sheesh pull your panties out they are clouding your judgement. :;

WTF where did I ever mention or even infer that the knuckles or steering arms were cast iron? Sheesh pull your panties out they are clouding your judgement. :;

Then clear it up now.

What are toy knuckle made from? Can/should it be welded?

what are toy steering arms made from? Can/should it be welded?