• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Six Shooters vs 5th stud

Hi All:

Interesting thread! :awesomework: Thanks for all the info Chop Shop, White Trash, etc.!!

Humm, what do you mean Mike? The 1979-85 mini-truck knuckles should be identical to the 1979-89 Land Cruiser (BJ, FJ, HJ) knuckles.

Regards,

Alan

I will say the material they used on FJ knucles and toy mini knuckles is different....

I love having my 5th stud kit from bobby im running 39.5 iroks but the way my steering is set up i kept braking the stock studs so i said hell with it and had the histeer arms welded onto my knuckels that way i know its solid and you can still get to your trunion bearings and you can still remove your knuckles.

just my input

I bet if ya take off the arms and whack that block with a hammer it will fall off.

Unless the studs thread all the way through the knuckle too, I dont see any improvement.

Why not just weld the arms on the knuckle? Cuz the knuckle is cast and not weldeable.:;

4x4 labs should be smart enough to realize thats not a good idea.

The only way that will add ANY strenght is if ya weld it to the knuckle grease filler plug (mild steel) and the steering stop bolts (mild steel).

I'm not a backyard welder, I have hydro on it turning 40's ive had it on for over a year punished it all over brown's, moonrocks,goldendale hasn't failed yet

I bet if ya take off the arms and whack that block with a hammer it will fall off.

Unless the studs thread all the way through the knuckle too, I dont see any improvement.

Why not just weld the arms on the knuckle? Cuz the knuckle is cast and not weldeable.:;

4x4 labs should be smart enough to realize thats not a good idea.

The only way that will add ANY strenght is if ya weld it to the knuckle grease filler plug (mild steel) and the steering stop bolts (mild steel).

Have you checked out the plates, Just cause Bobby didn't make it doesn't mean it's not decent ****, 4x4labs has been making stuff for the cruiser guys for a long time

when you are talking about welding the six shooter plates you can't be talking about what i am picturing you are talking about..

are you saying weld the arm (4 or 6) to the knuckel????? becaue if you do that how are you planning on getting to the trunion bearing

Have you checked out the plates, Just cause Bobby didn't make it doesn't mean it's not decent ****, 4x4labs has been making stuff for the cruiser guys for a long time

I have checked out the plates, thats what led me to my comments. 4x4 labs make awesome stuff and has for years. I have a few cruisers and are familar with most of the stuff they make, but hadnt seen that plate kit before you posted it up.

I started a thread on pirate4x4 to see what the internet super knowitalls have to say about too.

Im glad they are workin out for ya. Broke steering always sucks. :mad:

I would consider Bobby a good friend and all but I can cut my own tabs and get a pair of 1/2 bolts myself.:;

when you are talking about welding the six shooter plates you can't be talking about what i am picturing you are talking about..

are you saying weld the arm (4 or 6) to the knuckel????? becaue if you do that how are you planning on getting to the trunion bearing

no it's a machined plate with 2 threaded holes it full pen welds next to your stud perch, not affecting your trunion area, anybody's six shooter arms will bolt up also, in my opinion it's better than a 5th stud

stupid thing is ,is trail gear sells the knuckle and arm for $250. or sells the arms alone for $250, so you would be kind retarded to not order the set together? 6 shooters are not bad ,but the trunnion pins suck, jeremy broke one and bent two others before going trnion elim kit.
i made my own 5th stud for no cost at all, and most should be able to do themselves for very lttle cost also.

Then clear it up now.

What are toy knuckle made from? Can/should it be welded?

what are toy steering arms made from? Can/should it be welded?

They are made of cast steel then forged to straighten up the grain structure and strengthen the part.

Can they be welded sure I'd imagine they can. I've built a handful of crossover arms and they welded great just like any normal piece of steel should weld. I've never personally welded on a knuckle so I can't tell you how it welds but I did include a set of 4xlabs 6 stud plates with my yota axles to go with my Marlin 6 stud steering arms.

They are made of cast steel then forged to straighten up the grain structure and strengthen the part.

Can they be welded sure I'd imagine they can. I've built a handful of crossover arms and they welded great just like any normal piece of steel should weld. I've never personally welded on a knuckle so I can't tell you how it welds but I did include a set of 4xlabs 6 stud plates with my yota axles to go with my Marlin 6 stud steering arms.

You didnt answer the question. :rolleyes:

The knuckle and the steering arm are TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT kinds of metal, iron, steel, whatever you want to refer to it as.

A FORGED steering arm is nothing like a CAST knuckle. Do ya see man?:squirrel:

You didnt answer the question. :rolleyes:

The knuckle and the steering arm are TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT kinds of metal, iron, steel, whatever you want to refer to it as.

A FORGED steering arm is nothing like a CAST knuckle. Do ya see man?:squirrel:

I did answer the question to the best of my firsthand knowledge. No hearsay or intardnet expert bs involved. The steering arms must be steel because they weld great. I would believe they are forged after casting because they are very strong. I have not welded to a knuckle so I don't personally know if it is steel or ductile iron. My best guess would be that the knuckle is cast ductile iron. What more do you want?

its easy you just unbolt the lower 4 bolts on the knuckle pull the bottom out then lift it comes right off and at that point you can service your upper trunion

5th stud

60451_1574190510383_1104153117_31628854_5441754_n.jpg

I hoped to eliminate the guesswork and did the 9/16's ARP studs and added the 5th stud.... I'm runnin 35 Maxxis CC and only time will tell but they did survive 7 days in moab and a day at naches w/ no failure. I'm going to be pissed and ditch the whole axle if i have any problems with this setup cool thing is though i talked w/ jon at allpro and he said even after all the **** i did to the arms (forged all-pro) he would still warranty them against breakage

Biggest thing is keeping the studs tight. Check/tighten them each time you go out, it's not like its difficult. After i learned the hard way on my first rig, now before i go out i just hit them with the impact. I'm running 39.5's with stock studs and no 5th stud and i'm doing great.:awesomework:

Biggest thing is keeping the studs tight. Check/tighten them each time you go out, it's not like its difficult. After i learned the hard way on my first rig, now before i go out i just hit them with the impact. I'm running 39.5's with stock studs and no 5th stud and i'm doing great.:awesomework:

Wow, Im gonna have to start doing that. :awesomework:

Hey guys no need to upgrade your studs. :mad: