• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Slight tick from flexplate area?

tonybolton

Bypass Crawler
Vortec 350 using an adapter to a jeep 727 auto trans.

After some 2nd gear runs at a rock slab at GMORP it has what sounds like a lifter tick but noise is definitely coming from flexplate area. Its RPM dependant.

Ive checked all the flexplate bolts and all are tight. Flexplate runs straight and true. Checked the counter weight and its welded on tight.

Buggy runs/drives/shifts just fine...jus has that light tick. Its a thin metal tick sound. Like taking a flathead and tapping the plate.

Ive expired all ideas on Google so figured id see if anyone here has any ideas.

Thanks for any and all info. I'm gonna wheel it locally tomorrow and keep near the parking lot.

Could be the snap ring come off the starter bendix and is letting it get into the flywheel.

Re: Re: Slight tick from flexplate area?

You know...the tick does seem more prominent on the passenger side where the starter is...would not have expected that.

Ill check that out!! Thank you very much!

I took my air hose and blew it all out thinkin the same thing. I'm not running an inspection plate.

My starter gear was bouncing in and out and clicking with my flex plate. You and take the starter drive off and put a shim between motor starter head and fix it.

Just experienced the same thing on our 98 4-runner. Sounded like a low end knock at times and was rpm sensitive. I let it go and it finally let go! It was a cracked flex plate that ended up cracking from hole to hole where it bolts to the crank! There would have been no way to check this on my vehicle through the inspection plate due to the location. I would pull the transmission and check it b4 it leaves you stranded in a bad place!

Too much powa!!!

Jus went out there with a thin LED light and looked really hard where it bolts to the crank. I didn't notice ant deformities. I also tried to pry on it to get it to make any clicking and didn't hear any.

Re:

Flexplate to converter bolts too? That was where mine backed out. Don't mean to be a pita. I feel like I'm being an ass, but it has the same exact symptoms I was having.