• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

snow wheeling w/ chains

My last outing in snow was in my 2wd ranger, locked in the rear, 30in tires and snow chains. the truck behind me was a 4wd toyota, locked in rear, 38in tires without chainsw. I pretty much schooled him all the way up the hill (about 5 miles of 2ft fresh on top of old packed snow). A couple time I had to stop and wait to see if the other rig was still coming. the picture where a little ways after making fesh track I got off the road a bit next to a massive cliff and got suck. the toyota tried to go by and also got stuck. I would say that my chains in the snow worked great and would use on a less capable rig. If I would have been im my wheeling rig, locked on aired down 39s I probably would not have been using chains.

chadstrucks352.jpg

well if your talking about that pic of Joe's YJ in the snow thats on the banner. In that case we needed chains. There is no way we would of made it up that mountain without them. The snow there was anywhere from 4-6 feet of powder on top of a few feet of packed snow. we both took turns driving because it was a serious work out just to get about a mile up. Infact that picture is where we stopped because it got even deeper at the next corner.

snow chains locked front and rear

I air down my 33s to about 15 psi and put the chains on tight and air back to 20 psi and they work in every condition I have been in, really well, and I have been to the door handles in snow and pulled a full size blazer with 42s out of some tough stuff twice...:awesomework:

there is a plus and minus to chains. most of the time when you throw irons on you can do just about anything. as far as digging down and sitting on your frame, you can do that with or without irons. mostly it all depends on how well you can feel what your tires are doing and how the snow feels while your sitting there on your butt. snow is the best. and it all comes down to if you can read it, feel it, then wheel it.

Sticky tires suck on the slick stuff...not too bad when breaking trail. I have tried rocking the chains.

M01A0147.jpg

These are a little too narrow & try to slip off if they are not on really tight.

Someday I will have a second set of tires for winter, but that **** costs money :haha:

really? my stickies work great in the snow.

Here we go.....:rolleyes:

Breaking trail seems to be ok, but as soon as it is packed down & slick...I don't seem to do so hot. I have been seriously denied on slick packed down hills...low range, high range, crawl it or smash on the throttle...only to back down & watch 5 stock jeeps walk right up.

Either I suck as a driver, my rig is a pile or maybe the tires don't hook up so good in the packed down snow.

:haha:

Ive got a set of 35-12.5-15 KM2's on my rig, they did okay in the snow this weekend. But a couple of guys were carrying chains and put em on for the trip out, what a world of differance. But like some said, that was in less than a foot. I think Ill get a set and just carry em, not put em on until I have to.

Chains are one of the greatest creations on the planet. They keep johnson-heads from side swiping me on the pass.:haha:

I think it depends on the conditions of the snow and what you are doing. I have gone quite a few places by just airing down and controlling throttle input and momentum in my Jeep.

I had to chain up once when I was trying to pull a GMC 1500 out of the snow up around Mt. Baker with my Chevy 1500. They helped to prevent me from sliding off the edge of the road where the other truck was but they did help me to dig my truck down in the snow, but I didn't get deep enough to get me stuck. The other truck was too stuck for my 1/2 ton to pull out so I had to give up and just give the guys a ride down to the store.