• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

So I bought Ths POS Harbor Freight Tranny Jack to Work on my Jeep...............

98TJ

Now I'm working on the POS jack...........................................

orig.jpg

It leaks down like a MF'r. I want to check the hydraulic fluid level; anyone know which of these bolts is the oil fill hole? The Phillips or the allen?

Thanks for any help,
NIB

If it leaks down its most likely not a fluid level problem. Your bypassing in either the cylinder or the valve. Take it back and get another one. Don't screw with it. You'll just be more frustrated.

I would like to take it back, but I bought it in January and just now used it for the first time. I doubt they would swap it after two months.

The trouble shooting part of the owners manual says to try 3 things if it bleeds down:
1) flush the valve seat (tried that)
2) check the fluid level ( didn't want to **** it up worse by taking out the wrong bolt)
3) bleed it after checking oil level

I'm going to call their customer service tomorrow and I wanted to do those 3 things first since I figured they would ask me if I had done them.

Thanks for the reply.

NIB

Everything that comes out of their doors has a 90 day in store warranty regardless of whether or not you buy an extended warranty (which I never do).

I have one of their tranny jack attachments that hooks on to their regular floor jack. It does great on lifted vehicles but is too high for stock height vehicles. You can lift the tranny down but then you can't get it out from between the frame rails with it on the jack. Real PITA on stock height vehicles but perfect for stuff I work on most of the time.

The way my luck has been running lately; it will be ****ed up too. :) :)

Actually, they have quit selling the model I bought just two months ago and now sell a different version of the 2,000 lb tranny jack.

I found the 90 day warranty on their web page y'all mentioned:

90 Day Satisfaction Guarantee - Items are guaranteed to be as described and illustrated. If for any reason you are not satisfied with any item purchased, you may return the insured product within 90 days for a full refund or replacement, whichever you prefer. Shipping and handling charges are non–refundable.

Well if it were me I would take it in, tell them the issues I've been having with it and try to get the new version as a replacement . . . or just get your money back and buy something else.

Thanks all for the input. As y'all suggested, I'm going to take the thing back and let them deal with it, either the new model or a refund.

Thanks,
NIB

Ya, they should hook you up with a new one no questions asked. I still love harbor frieght. Good for those tools, you only use a few times a year.

They will take it back. Also FWIW, I have an older model floor style that I have had about 5 years. I have used it multiple times and it's been whored out a lot. It has been a good unit, especially for the price tag.

I've got one steel jack and two aluminum ones from there. They've been trouble free for three years now. Probably just a fluke.

98TJ said:
Now I'm working on the POS jack...........................................

orig.jpg

It leaks down like a MF'r. I want to check the hydraulic fluid level; anyone know which of these bolts is the oil fill hole? The Phillips or the allen?

Thanks for any help,
NIB

I didn't see where you got an answer to the original question. In your picture, the the little rounded bubble, sticking up between the springs on the cylinder, is a rubber push in plug. That is where you check the fluid level. A small flat head screwdriver usually works pretty good to get under the edge and pop it out. It's probably got a bunch of paint over it right now, which makes it appear to not be removable. Pretty much every bottle jack I have ever seen, has one of these little rubber plugs. Floor jacks and transmission jacks are just bottle jacks laid on their side. (kinda)

Thanks. I thought it was one of those two bolts. I pulled the little rubber plug and it looked pretty full; maybe 1/4" from the top.

I'm going to take the whole jack back next Monday.

Thanks all,
NIB

Again, thanks all for the advice. I took it back this morning a few days before the 90 day period was up and told them it was leaking down. No problem, all they asked was whether I wanted a refund or replacement. I took the money so the 90 day period would start over when I buy another one the next time I need a big tranny jack. Hopefully it will not be screwed up right out of the box like this one.

Thanks,
NIB