• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

So, when did the nut swinging begin?

easleycrawler

Yota Freak
I've been wondering. There have been different kinds of Offroad buggies for a long time. But who built the very first purpose built hill killing rock bouncer? If it was a Offroad fab shop that built it, who did they build it for?

If anyone has pics and specs, share them.

With Jon-Jon.

index.php

molaugh

Probably when TC did the wheelie in fatgirl, or the beat down on Los primos with it. I remember at the time that was some insane stuff. Nowadays that's just an afternoon stroll.

InDaShop said:
Dan Dibble is the Godfather IMO. Well before Timmie.

Dan Dibble climbing the Punisher at Morris Mountain Offroad park.

Dan Dibble and Bryan Cole were 2 of the key players in my opinion. I can remember watching videos of Dan Dibble and thinking damn that dude gives zero fawks. However the day TC did the wheelie in Fat Girl changed the sport.
The OG ColeWorX crew are the ones who started attracting big crowds at the rides, long before any racing was involved. We would go to GrayRock and we would hit Tub Rock and Cable hill and the day would be over.

Darryl Jones & his Superman buggy are still my favorite driver/rig combo... 2004 Toys4Tots or 2005 June Jam when he sheered off his front wheel & knuckle rock bouncing (the term wasn't invented yet, but trust me, he was bouncing) at 25mph while everyone else trying to crawl Tub Rock, still brings a smile to my face

I think we've credited Nolen Grogan with "rock bouncing" or at least he was first to publish articles with the term legitimizing its wide spread use. Who coined "nut swinging" for rock bouncing?

InDaShop said:
I think we've credited Nolen Grogan with "rock bouncing" or at least he was first to publish articles with the term legitimizing its wide spread use. Who coined "nut swinging" for rock bouncing?

The original debate about the term rock bouncing/bug mashin' is on this site I believe :****:

Kidrok (Brad Kellogg) in the pink Scout was big into bouncing back then too. There's a youtube video of him jumping his Scout in the middle of the Guantlet and hitting Los Primos several times wide open in the pouring rain at Morris Mountain.

I thought it started in the late 90s when a genius invented and patented a pair of plastic ones in assorted colors and hung it from the rear bumper of his farm truck?

Cole said:
The OG ColeWorX crew are the ones who started attracting big crowds at the rides, long before any racing was involved. We would go to GrayRock and we would hit Tub Rock and Cable hill and the day would be over.

I remember seeing the One Bad Apple FJ, Superman Samurai, Highlighter and a few more in the Coleworx crew at Summertown before I ever picked up a camera or watched a youtube video.

Dan Dibble was the first I ever saw drive like that. The nut swining started when the videos started.

xjkrawler said:
The OG days were the King of the Hill Comp every September with superman, bryan in his fj bouncer and several other guys.

Timmie and Adam driving Mikes buggy 2008 comp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDrv2UueQ5s

THIS... In my opinion this was the beginning of make it or break it. I remember Trent Lee using his trans break and killing it and DJ swapping front gear sets in the dirt parking lot. It was also my first time I caught on fire near the top and then John G pointing out to me that a Nissan Pathfinder just kicked my ass. Yeah, I remember that well John :flipoff1: molaugh molaugh molaugh molaugh Good old times for sure.

CHASMAN9 said:
THIS... In my opinion this was the beginning of make it or break it. I remember Trent Lee using his trans break and killing it and DJ swapping front gear sets in the dirt parking lot. It was also my first time I caught on fire near the top and then John G pointing out to me that a Nissan Pathfinder just kicked my ass. Yeah, I remember that well John :flipoff1: molaugh molaugh molaugh molaugh Good old times for sure.

I agree the old King of the Hill were great. Remember some guy in a Rockwell buggy giving it hell with a flat. I had seen him at Grayrock he never let out. Then JAB getting dqed for going out of course.

kmcminn said:
I agree the old King of the Hill were great. Remember some guy in a Rockwell buggy giving it hell with a flat. I had seen him at Grayrock he never let out. Then JAB getting dqed for going out of course.

The last year they ran it, they changed the course to go side to side back and forth and that cut all the speed out.
We talked about renting the park and running it again once a year, but have side by side courses and open it up for a straight up the gut, all out, make it to the top however you can race. Then swap lanes and do it again. JUST two marked lanes, two buggies, hauling ass up the hill. I WOULD LOVE TO SEE IT HAPPEN THERE.

CHASMAN9 said:
The last year they ran it, they changed the course to go side to side back and forth and that cut all the speed out.
We talked about renting the park and running it again once a year, but have side by side courses and open it up for a straight up the gut, all out, make it to the top however you can race. Then swap lanes and do it again. JUST two marked lanes, two buggies, hauling ass up the hill. I WOULD LOVE TO SEE IT HAPPEN THERE.
That would be awesome! KOTH was good times for sure!