• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Soldering

Gibby1

Did I BREAK that.......
So, I'm wiring up a quick disconnect for a winch. I need to solder the 2 guage wire into the connector. I bought some flux core solder but I cannot get it to stick to anything.

How do I solder this copper wire into the connector? There's has to be a trick or a solder type that works best, may a different flux that I should use?

how are you heating it up? you dont melt the solder with an iron/torch, you heat up the connector and wire and until IT is hot enough to melt the solder, otherwise it will just hit the surface, cool and pretty much fall off.

how are you heating it up? you dont melt the solder with an iron/torch, you heat up the connector and wire and until IT is hot enough to melt the solder, otherwise it will just hit the surface, cool and pretty much fall off.

I agree, temperature is the key. Also clean surfaces- sand them clean. You can also add flux paste along with the flux core solder. If you can do a mechanical connection like Zukev said, a crimp or something along with the solder it would be best.
Hot n clean!! ....even then some materials don't work well with solder.

True...we can give pointers but if the basic skills arent there it's over.....kinda like teaching someone to weld over the net- aint gona happen!

yeah to a degree. A bad weld will hold if ya get enough ugly boogers on but a bad solder wont even hold its own weight.

Its an art.

All I can say is the material your working with (terminal and cable) need to be crimped then you could flash it with a torch untill its hot enough to "flow" solder into not "melt" onto.

The terminal/cable needs to melt the solder, nothing else.

I like to explain **** and give advice.

BUT you CANT teach someone to solder over the net or with a book.

Its not simple thats for sure.

The key is the heat. Also tinning both items to be soldered helps a bunch. One thing you need to be carefull of is too much heat and whicking the solder down the strands of the wire.

I like to explain **** and give advice.

BUT you CANT teach someone to solder over the net or with a book.

I know how to solder both electrical and plumbing, although it's been a while with compression and crimp fittings.

Here's what the connectors look like.
416IAo1ibPL.jpg

Last edited:
Its not simple thats for sure.

The key is the heat. Also tinning both items to be soldered helps a bunch. One thing you need to be carefull of is too much heat and whicking the solder down the strands of the wire.

I was using a propare torch to heat up the wire. I do think the flame was a little large to be effective. Do I need one of the micro torch kits? I couldn't cramp these (properly) as the metal on the connectors are simply too strong and are not designed to be crimp ons.

I know how to solder both electrical and plumbing, although it's been a while with compression and crimp fittings.

Here's what the connectors look like.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/416IAo1ibPL.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Are you sure those aren't designed to be crimped?
Those look like magnetic steel with some sort of coating on them. You may not be able to solder them.

Last edited:
I was using a propare torch to heat up the wire. I do think the flame was a little large to be effective. Do I need one of the micro torch kits? I couldn't cramp these (properly) as the metal on the connectors are simply too strong and are not designed to be crimp ons.

Are you doing something like battery cable dale?

I use my big torch for anything 4 guage and lower and my micro for anything else.

Are you sure those aren't designed to be crimped?
Those look like magnetic steel with some sort of coating on them. You may not be able to solder them.

Per the guys at Enumclaw Autoworks where I got them they are supposed to be soldered, not crimped. I don't have a crimp tool for something that big. I tried a hammer and chisel but barely scratched the surface. Copper connectors I've crimped that way without a problem but these are MUCH heavier duty.

Are you doing something like battery cable dale?

I use my big torch for anything 4 guage and lower and my micro for anything else.

The tip on the propane torch I was using was much too large. I might use my welding torch for a finer flame and see if I can get the heat right.

I was really wondering about use of a better flux and maybe sanding the inside of the connector and the the outside of the wires to get some adhesion.

yeah to a degree. A bad weld will hold if ya get enough ugly boogers on but a bad solder wont even hold its own weight.

It's allright, Dale can't weld either. :fawkdancesmiley::haha:

Dale, when we do those style connectors, I put it in a vice, heat it with torch, and fill it full of solder. Keeping the solder liquid with the torch, I dunk the end of the wire into that lug full of liquid solder. I keep the torch on it just for a second or two to make sure it stays hot and the solder "soaks" into the wire.

J

I think tinning like Crash said is going to be what makes the difference. Tinning is coating both pieces with solder before putting them together. If the solder won't stick to one of the pieces then they won't stick together. If you have clean copper cable the cable shouldn't be a problem...Sounds like John has had luck with soldering these connectors. If it were me I would try the vice method and tin it. Fill that sucker up with solder then pour it out. See if the inside of it remains coated, if yes you're golden. I would also find a way to clean the inside of it first too.....

Dale, when we do those style connectors, I put it in a vice, heat it with torch, and fill it full of solder. Keeping the solder liquid with the torch, I dunk the end of the wire into that lug full of liquid solder. I keep the torch on it just for a second or two to make sure it stays hot and the solder "soaks" into the wire.

J

:cheer:yaaa john

J

Yep :awesomework:

J

I would be carefull using that method. If you don't get the cable hot enough to flux the solder properly to it you will end up with a cold joint. Get some good amps thru it and you could blow the cable right out of the eyelet.

I think tinning like Crash said is going to be what makes the difference. Tinning is coating both pieces with solder before putting them together. If the solder won't stick to one of the pieces then they won't stick together. If you have clean copper cable the cable shouldn't be a problem...Sounds like John has had luck with soldering these connectors. If it were me I would try the vice method and tin it. Fill that sucker up with solder then pour it out. See if the inside of it remains coated, if yes you're golden. I would also find a way to clean the inside of it first too.....

That is a good method but it won't work unless you GET RID OF THE FLUX CORE SOLDER! Chances are that crap is for copper ie plumbing you need solid core or solder pellets made for the application. Napa should have pellets on the shelf. Also they make a paste flux that you wipe on the wire, warm with a torch and touch the solder to it and it'll literally suck the solder into the wire. My method on big stuff like that is to drop in a pellet or a wad of solder into the the connector, coat the wire with paste flux then heat the connector till the solder is melted and slowly stick the wire in there to suck up the solder as it slides in.