• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Soldering

That is a good method but it won't work unless you GET RID OF THE FLUX CORE SOLDER! Chances are that crap is for copper ie plumbing you need solid core or solder pellets made for the application. Napa should have pellets on the shelf. Also they make a paste flux that you wipe on the wire, warm with a torch and touch the solder to it and it'll literally suck the solder into the wire. My method on big stuff like that is to drop in a pellet or a wad of solder into the the connector, coat the wire with paste flux then heat the connector till the solder is melted and slowly stick the wire in there to suck up the solder as it slides in.

Really--I use rosin core solder--have for years and I have done dozens and dozens of cables for folks--zero failures...

thats how blue 1stgen and me did our winches...his dad showed him.still working as of yesterday....going on 2 years of winching.

Also a poperly soldered joint will push the flux to the top edge of the soldered joint. If you do it properly while the flux is still went blast it quickly with brakecleen and you will end up with a perfect soldered joint.

Really--I use rosin core solder--have for years and I have done dozens and dozens of cables for folks--zero failures...

Rosin core is one thing and will work fine but from the sounds of it Dale is using acid core which is not the same thing and won't work worth half a **** and you know it. if he'd specify exactly what he's using it'd eliminate a possible mistake. :;

Rosin core is one thing and will work fine but from the sounds of it Dale is using acid core which is not the same thing and won't work worth half a **** and you know it. if he'd specify exactly what he's using it'd eliminate a possible mistake. :;

Do not use acid core on anything electrical

Acid core is the worse flux you can use. I only use it for anything non electrical.

Well, here's the way it worked out.

I found some solid core solder in my supplies.

I tinned the wire first, although that didn't work great.

I filled the connector with the molten solder about 3/4 full, then inserted the wire. I kept the heat on the connector and tinned the solder from the wire down until I couldn't get anymore to flow down, then I removed the heat. I used my cutting torch with a small flame to get the necessary heat.

Let's hope it works!

I also used the White Trash method to do my electric forklift connector for my winch. Then crimped them after the solder cooled. Has worked fine for the last 4 years.

I've made **** tons of 2/0 cables for heavy equipment. The solder slugs napa stocks work pretty good, they have flux in the middle. Just drop one in and heat the lug until it melts. Stuff the cable in and let it cool. After cool slide the heat shrink on and be done.:awesomework: I'm not sure the solid solder is going to work for ya. Did the solder cool shiny or dull? If it's dull you have a weak joint and it will fail.

Those connectors are supposed to be crimped. I do them at work all the time. As a matter of fact I did some today even. There is a special crimp tool for the job. I think it costed about $650 though.

It's allright, Dale can't weld either. :fawkdancesmiley::haha:

Dale, when we do those style connectors, I put it in a vice, heat it with torch, and fill it full of solder. Keeping the solder liquid with the torch, I dunk the end of the wire into that lug full of liquid solder. I keep the torch on it just for a second or two to make sure it stays hot and the solder "soaks" into the wire.

J
that is the way i have done it with 15kv cable.had to take a 1000foot cable with no ends and put ends on to make a 15kv extention cord when i was working on the tunnel boring machine.

Those connectors are supposed to be crimped. I do them at work all the time. As a matter of fact I did some today even. There is a special crimp tool for the job. I think it costed about $650 though.

NAPA sells the crimping tool too. $50 last I checked. Put the connector and cable together in it and bash it once or twice with a hammer.

It's allright, Dale can't weld either. :fawkdancesmiley::haha:

Dale, when we do those style connectors, I put it in a vice, heat it with torch, and fill it full of solder. Keeping the solder liquid with the torch, I dunk the end of the wire into that lug full of liquid solder. I keep the torch on it just for a second or two to make sure it stays hot and the solder "soaks" into the wire.

J

This.

For large cables that need to be soldered, this is the approved military way of doing things.

Make sure you don't use too much heat as you will boil the solder right out of the connector.