• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

sometimes my jeep.....

PHILLBILLY1

I had this posted before, but I have updated symptoms, that may help w/ diagnosis.

It billows out this light blueish gray smoke that kinda really burns the eyes.
It engulfs everywhere with the "smoke". While it is doing that, it runs really rough. Once the smoke clears, it runs better. I can make it smoke like this, by driving in reverse, and then suddenly driving forward, and visa versa.

I thought before, that it may be antifreeze, but now I have changed my mind.

I pulled the plugs out, and they are a light brown, and a couple have a small amount of soot on em.

No water in my oil, no oil in my water.

Temp is fine and constant. :corn:

Well, there are two holes in my valve cover. One has the pcv valve in it, and the other has nothing. It is wide open. Would that cause the issue? Should I put some sort of filter in there? I just noticed this earlier today....:eeek:

My Jeep, My Jeep, My Jeep!!!:haha:

Sounds like you've got either oil getting sucked by the PCV, or the valve guide seals are toast, allowing oil to slosh onto the valve stem, and engine vacuum is sucking said oil thru the intake guide??? Just my perception based on the info given!:awesomework: And yes, some sort of filter would be better than an open hole...:redneck:

No, don't leave the **** open.

A cheap catch can from ebay, or other alternative to keep the system as-engineered would be better.

Or stick a new valve cover on it. a KNOWN good one.

is the smoke out the tail pipe or just from under/around the jeep in general?

You could run the lines off the valve cover to dump to atmosphere instead of into your air cleaner and see if that cures the problem and work from there.

Does it smoke like a bitch on startup? Usually a good sign valve stem seals are shot.
What carb(holley) are you running? Is it possible that the float is flopping around and flooding it.

Does it smoke like a bitch on startup? Usually a good sign valve stem seals are shot.
What carb(holley) are you running? Is it possible that the float is flopping around and flooding it.

Well, it kinda smokes when I start it. I attributed that to using starting fluid:eeek:

I am running the motorcraft 2100 series carb off of a 302.

Signs are pointing to the valve stem seals.......

Your symptoms don't match stem seal, but more like oil dumping into intake (or fuel) to cause the misfire.
Do like was said above, and just pull the hoses off and see if still does it.

WOOOHOOO!!!!!!!:cheer:

I am 99% sure I figured it out! I was driving it today, and it, of course, was billowing out the smoke when I would stop or slow down.

*sidenote: For the longest time, my brake fluid has been "disappearing". Meaning I constantly have to fill it, and it showed no signs of leaking.:scratchhead:

What's happening, is that when I stop or slow down, brake fluid leaks through my master, and into the booster. Then the vaccuum picks it up and shits it into my motor. Henceforth billowing out the smoke. :cool:

Putting a new master cylinder in or rebuilding the one that I have, will ultimately kill two birds with one stone. I am stoked:beer:

Well there ya go!!!! Makes sense...
Might think about a booster as well...brake fluid wreaks havoc on the diaphram in there:;...also, just buy new---they're sooooo inexpensive anymore--hardly worth rebuilding.:awesomework: