• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

spider 9 or dana 60

did I miss what these are going under???....and w/ what powertrain, and tires...???.....
and.....some indication of driving style or intended use (comp rig, toy, beater)

and, by saying that you're considering the spyder stuff....does that mean you're willing to drop big money to get every last bit of performance/clearance etc....???

no i just hadent said that its going under my frontier sticking with the supercharged 3.3l

(60/14bolt) bitches.....

no i just hadent said that its going under my frontier. sticking with the supercharged 3.3l. tires im thinking in the 38-40 possiby 42s and in the 5.89 range for randp. i have 5.14's with 36s and need lower so thats not going to be to low. as for driving style im pretty hard on my stuff my first set of shafts on my 44 lasted 1 outing. the plan as is right now is move my wheelbase from 131 to 115 so i can fit on some more of the trails here.
for the money issue if spyders are the way to go ill piece it together and take as long as it takes but it seems 60's are what you guys seem to think are the way to go

the narrowest 60 front you will find is a dodge front end, it is exactly 2 inches shorter on the long side than a Chevy. It will be a balljoint front end and the factory steering arm's are super high already. I am not farmiliar with which side it need's to be though?

Ha, what kind of a thread is this.

You ask Spider 9 or 60 and then start asking about junkyard diffs.:confused:

Nothing wrong with j/y diffs it's just a funny question after your original post. Seem's like it should have read Spider 9's or ProRocks..or Junyard 9's or 60's.

My next set of axles if I ever need them, cause my custom 9's right now are just so inadequate :rolleyes:

will be 9's again :masturbanana[1]:

It's amazing how many people talk **** about 9's that have never owned or wheeled one a day in their life :screwdog:

It's amazing how many people talk **** about 9's that have never owned or wheeled one a day in their life :screwdog:

X2.... If you need bigger than a 9, it's time to go to a 14 bolt.

Pinion support bearings rule! :redneck:

Ha, what kind of a thread is this.

You ask Spider 9 or 60 and then start asking about junkyard diffs.:confused:

Nothing wrong with j/y diffs it's just a funny question after your original post. Seem's like it should have read Spider 9's or ProRocks..or Junyard 9's or 60's.

i only was asking that since i have decided 60 will be the way to go since i really dont want the down time for the spiders if there not going to be alot stronger the axle. need to be drivers side drop.
for some reason i cant remember what width full width is so what is the width.

i only was asking that since i have decided 60 will be the way to go since i really dont want the down time for the spiders if there not going to be alot stronger the axle. need to be drivers side drop.
for some reason i cant remember what width full width is so what is the width.

Most J/Y 60's will run around 70 inches.

I would take a stab at guessing your midsize rig is in need of about a 66ish width.?

As far as downtime. If you build up and fab brackets for the J/Y 60 you could build a spider 9 just as quickly. You will have no teardown time, no cleaning or grinding of old brackets. Other than knuckles needing welded on there's no diffrence unless you just plan to change the fluid run leaves and run a 8 lug front etc. But I can't imagine that's the case since your already coilover in the front....right? If I remeber correctly it looks like you have a Calmini straight axle conversion.

im at i beleive 61 with the waggy 44 right now and need wider what backspacing would you recomend so i wouldnt have to narrow the 60's but make the overall width a little narrower?
yes your correct i have the calmini strait axle. the reason there would be more down time is the cost difference. same amount of fab time just the spyder 9's cost more to build. the plan is 3link panhard and triangulated 4link in the back.
why do people change from 8 lug?

im at i beleive 61 with the waggy 44 right now and need wider what backspacing would you recomend so i wouldnt have to narrow the 60's but make the overall width a little narrower?
yes your correct i have the calmini strait axle. the reason there would be more down time is the cost difference. same amount of fab time just the spyder 9's cost more to build. the plan is 3link panhard and triangulated 4link in the back.
why do people change from 8 lug?

I went 6 lug on my axles since i can run 1/2 ton brakes easily and clear 15 inch rims.

I went 6 lug on my axles since i can run 1/2 ton brakes easily and clear 15 inch rims.

Exactly, unless your going to run 17's or bigger you won't clear the brakes and steering with 1 ton stuff.

I'm also switching since I already have 5 lug rims.You could also keep your rims since if I remember right your 6 lug is the same as chvy/toy.

There will be a little more work on J/Y axle's with cleaning,grinding old mounts off and well dirty teardown. Definitially cheaper though.

I'm running 5 inch backspace on 17's with 1/2 ton stuff. I doubt you could do that with 1 ton brakes. Notice my avitar. That rear is 65 wms and the front is 65.5. I doubt your Frontier body is much wider. So fullwidths won't be very streetable without some pretty gay flare's

Last edited:
so do you guys think its really worth it to switch lug pattern just to run 50 dollar rims.
cleanup wont be a problem i work at a street rod shop and they have a sand blaster so ill sand blast them on the weekend
well i want to dovetail the rear so i plan on running fender flares like on the ultimate adveture tacoma
i guess ill look into narrowing them

So beings that I know how much it costs to build a Dana 60, how much to build a Spider9? Just curious, as I want to know how much more it costs for 1inch more clearence.