• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Spinoff- How much should a job pay

ranger11

My example

The company I work for charges our customers 90 bux an hour(over 8 is ot). How much should I make when I work 8 hours? Skilled job not flipping burgers

Re:

Please don't take this as being "smart" towards you. They should only pay you what you agreed to work for. If they advertise a job, interview potential employees, and reward the job to someone who will take it for minimum wage, it doesn't matter how much they make off said employee. There's also a ton of factors to include other than just hourly wage alone. Again, I'm not bustin your balls. Its just a harsh reality.

My CPA charges $150.00 an hour to come to me and $100.00 for je to go there. Me company needs to turn $5,000.00 a day to come out. The state requires me to pay a minimum of $10.50 an hour for truck drivers and operators get $17.00. How much you make depends on what you do and how bad somebody wants you to do that

Re:

No doubt tydl. I agree. I continue to do the job. I could easily quit. This is more of a thread of why younger people don't want to work a skilled job and why its hard to find people to do a skilled job.

Keep in mind, a large majority of what is charged to the customer is to cover the costs of operating a business.

These are the costs that employees have no responsibility with.

Insurance, supplies, consumables, tools, inventory, rent, utilities, taxes etc.

These vary from business to business which make it hard to compare what the company is charging the customer X dollars, I make Y dollars.

You should get paid the fair market value for your labor. The fair market value of your labor is a balance of how much your company would pay to keep you vs. how much another company would pay to get you. The problem with today's youth is that they have been falsely led to believe that their fair market value is vastly more than it actually is. If you do not feel you are being paid fair market value for your labor you are free to go work for another company that does pay you what you feel is the fair market value. The fact that your company charges $90/hr is irrelevant. You say they charge that for your labor but you are wrong. They charge that for their overall expenses incurred, only a small amount of which is your labor.

Re:

OK let's make this simple my company bills labor separate of parts etc. Our company is a labor based company meaning without the labor the job wouldn't get done. Were not talking about flipping burgers. Like some jobs I've done in 3-4 8 hrs days my company makes 20k plus. How can you convince a young guy to work for 12-15 bux an hour.

Moreover, your company charges a fair market value to their customer. If they did not the customers would go somewhere that did. Your pay depends more on that equation than anything else since the company has to turn a suitable profit within that framework. If they were enjoying too large a profit another company that would be happy with less would come and eat your company's lunch, leaving you with no company to work for in the first place.

Re:

JJ if you had a cook position for 20 bux an hour your would easily get a good worker. And he will be way more productive than 3 7.50hr workers. How many ribs can a 20$ hr man cook vs a 8.50 hr man? The point I'm trying to make is the people with work ethic and skill are going to school and getting the jobs that pay 3-4 times of what a skilled worker/ skilled tradesman will make. We've always had bums in this country now the bums have had kids and they've had kids all within 30 yrs.

Re:

ranger11 said:
OK let's make this simple my company bills labor separate of parts etc. Our company is a labor based company meaning without the labor the job wouldn't get done. Were not talking about flipping burgers. Like some jobs I've done in 3-4 8 hrs days my company makes 20k plus. How can you convince a young guy to work for 12-15 bux an hour.

Does your company provide a roof over your head to work under? That is an expense that is rolled into their labor rate.
Do they provide you any specialized tools to do your job? That is also an expense.
Do you receive any benefits besides just a paycheck? Expense.
Do they have any other employees that they do not directly bill the customer for? Such as the office workers? Expense.
Do they provide power with which you use to light your work area and run power tools? Expense.
Do they renew their business license every year to allow you to continue working? Expense.
Do they pay FICA, FUTA, and provide workman's comp insurance? (They are required to by law.) expense.
Does anything ever break down and require repair? Expense.
Do they advertize to get customers in your door for you to work for? Expense.
Do they have a human resource department that listens to you bitch about your wages? Expense.

See where I am going with this yet?

Re:

ranger11 said:
JJ if you had a cook position for 20 bux an hour your would easily get a good worker. And he will be way more productive than 3 7.50hr workers. How many ribs can a 20$ hr man cook vs a 8.50 hr man? The point I'm trying to make is the people with work ethic and skill are going to school and getting the jobs that pay 3-4 times of what a skilled worker/ skilled tradesman will make. We've always had bums in this country now the bums have had kids and they've had kids all within 30 yrs.

You are losing me with your references. You are saying bums deserve pay because they had kids?

At $20/hr it wouldn't matter how many ribs I sold because I would not turn a profit and would soon go out of business. I have good people that work for a fair hourly wage. (I actually pay above market average but that's a different story.) My main complaint is that I have to go through so many crappy ones to get some good ones. Incidentally, training the crappy ones justt o have them leave the next time they want to go out and get drunk is also an expense.

Re:

Yes I'm aware of all the factors of owning a business. But I've yet to see a reason a young person should skip college to be a skilled worker. The ones that complete college make more than most skilled workers when they get out of college.

I could quit my job go back to school and make almost double what I make now working for the same company. Yes I understand if I want to make that money I should go back to school.

Re:

What I mean by bums is the welfare Dependants. They multiple so fast then there kids have kids and there's 3 gens of no goods so there's only a select few that want to work.

I'm not saying everyone in the business should be high paid. The ones that make the money. I can throw away burnt fries but if my ribs are raw, burnt I'm not eating them and I will want my money back or not pay.

Re:

Skilled trades don't pay enough to attract the type of worker the trade needs. I'd be willing to bet there's an avg of 1-7 in skilled trades. One good out of 7

The topic doesn't match the posts, per se, so I will respond to the topic name.

I graduate in Building Science on August 1st. There is a 90% placement rate for graduates before graduation, and average starting salary is $55k, sign on bonus, benefits, etc.

ranger11 said:
But I've yet to see a reason a young person should skip college to be a skilled worker. The ones that complete college make more than most skilled workers when they get out of college.

I could quit my job go back to school and make almost double what I make now working for the same company. Yes I understand if I want to make that money I should go back to school.

I think we are slowly seeing a shift in that right now. The unemployment rate for college grads right now is over double the national average. They have the highest unemployment rate of any education level right now. The market is slow to react by nature but I think we will see an increase in trade labor wages and a decrease in degreed labor wages in the coming years. We are seeing an increase in supply of degree labor and a decrease in supply of trade labor. It is only a matter of time until the market adjusts its valuation of both.

ranger11 said:
What I mean by bums is the welfare Dependants. They multiple so fast then there kids have kids and there's 3 gens of no goods so there's only a select few that want to work.

I'm not saying everyone in the business should be high paid. The ones that make the money. I can throw away burnt fries but if my ribs are raw, burnt I'm not eating them and I will want my money back or not pay.

I did not get the impression that this was another welfare thread. I think you are digressing and you've still lost me on the burnt fries argument.

Re:

Lol I can waste a buck on fried potatoes but don't want bad meat. I suck at explaining stuff guess that's why I'm in the middle class.

Re:

ranger11 said:
Lol I can waste a buck on fried potatoes but don't want bad meat. I suck at explaining stuff guess that's why I'm in the middle class.

OK, well hopefully I can provide good fries AND ribs if you ever come visit. We seem to be able to do so 99% of the time. But what's that got to do with how much you get paid?

Re: Re: Re: Spinoff- How much should a job pay

ibrokeit said:
The topic doesn't match the posts, per se, so I will respond to the topic name.

I graduate in Building Science on August 1st. There is a 90% placement rate for graduates before graduation, and average starting salary is $55k, sign on bonus, benefits, etc.
Your right I didnt want to clog the other thread. Guess I'm just trying to justify why I didn't go to college or why I shouldnt quit my job live on welfare and food stamps till I get a degree and can make decent money without having to wear my body out making the man money. Some sarcasm in that.

Re:

My thoughts may be irrelevant, but here we go.

I have a college degree that I will gladly mail you. I never used it and it never got me any where. What got me to where I am is hard work, initiative and being somewhat of a risk taker. My only skill set is the gift of gab and remembering anything that doesn't pertain to the conversation.

I have quite a few acquaintances that make damn near or over 6 figures all without degrees. Their age ranges from 26-35. The common denominator with all of them is hard work and taking initiative.

Kel Lawrence