• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Spinoff- How much should a job pay

85toyo said:
Nobody starts at the top. If you want it, you have to earn it.
^^^ This!!!! My wife started our business when she was 23 (1996). I worked in a factory and advanced from hourly to salary,eleven years total and the last six I was Quality Control Manager. She was growing the business every year and I was getting burnt out with the factory scene. Had a good job for the area... $45,000 year,401k,3 weeks vacation,etc. and this was in' 02. Left my job and joined her, busted our ass' and never looked back. Has it been rough at times?...Yes! Would we trade it to punching a clock again?...Hell no!
Expenses are part of it. Taxes,insurance etc suck sometimes but ya want it ,ya go for it! College degrees? Nope!! Hard work and long hours? Damn straight!! Wouldn't have it any other way.

Does this relate to the topic? ....Probably not!! :dunno: :drinkers:

I didn't read to whole thread (I know my fault) but the assumption that college grads make bank isn't quite true. Plenty of them in fast food and retail since colleges pump them out so quickly.

Re:

This is a question for those who have kids: what about your daughters? Most are not the type to "get dirty". They didn't choose the college scene, what would you wish/want them to do? They aren't going to want to weld, lay pipe, or ect. I don't have kids yet, so this is not a shot, but learning.

Re:

I see a lot of females in the mills working along side men.

All the post in here are dead on. I understand hard work and values and climbing the ladder.

LandSpeeder said:
So, growing up I was HUGE in 4-H in Alabama. Went to State every year, went to Nationals one year in Chicago, was on the State 4-H Counsel my senior year of high school. HUGE 4-H nerd... so much so that I thought I wanted to work as a Cooperative Extension agent as a living... until my family got hold to me and convinced me not to pursue Agricultural Engineering. Now, 21 years out of High School... I woulda LOVED being in that profession.

I say this because tonight on the news they ran a piece about agri-jobs being 60,000 positions annually open up. 35,000 applicants. The job pool is shrinking and jobs are staying left open. Kids... go get dirty!
Man Eric, not sure how old U are. But please tell me you went to camp " Waseega"!!!! (Spelling) Man that would be awesome. Somewhere in North Ga. I went in 5 grade. Met some chick there, Lisa , and straight made out with her a few times. Man I was Tha man the whole week. She was my first sloppy make out .. Ha. Thought we had somthing. Come to find out she was older than me; and lord knows how many "others" there had been... Dammit she didn't even care Eric,, just used and abused my young ass.. :( and I thought she was the one!!! Hell, She may be wat led to my drug
Issues in the past. Hahah. :woot: what I'm gettin at... Was it you? Are you Lisa?? Woooo hoooo :smoke:

kushKrawlin said:
Man Eric, not sure how old U are. But please tell me you went to camp " Waseega"!!!! (Spelling) Man that would be awesome. Somewhere in North Ga. I went in 5 grade. Met some chick there, Lisa , and straight made out with her a few times. Man I was Tha man the whole week. She was my first sloppy make out .. Ha. Thought we had somthing. Come to find out she was older than me; and lord knows how many "others" there had been... Dammit she didn't even care Eric,, just used and abused my young ass.. :( and I thought she was the one!!! Hell, She may be wat led to my drug
Issues in the past. Hahah. :woot: what I'm gettin at... Was it you? Are you Lisa?? Woooo hoooo :smoke:

I DID go there once. LOL. But not for camp. That was Georgia's base camp. Alabama has one on Lay Lake just south of Columbiana.

Full circle: 4-H teaches kids to have drive and dedication to a project. So please keep your kids in 4-H!

Re: Re: Spinoff- How much should a job pay

LandSpeeder said:
I DID go there once. LOL. But not for camp. That was Georgia's base camp. Alabama has one on Lay Lake just south of Columbiana.

Full circle: 4-H teaches kids to have drive and dedication to a project. So please keep your kids in 4-H!
Was in 4H as a kid for a couple years and loved it. Still go the fair every year now to try and help support it because it's dying in our county. Even started an alumni group and we all get together, collect money, and buy animals at the livestock auction.

LandSpeeder said:

Man that's crazy!! Haa. I don't remember much bout 4h but I know it was fun. Don't remember it being nerdy Tho!! Sumbitch was I a nerd!??!

So I'll add my story to this:
Went to college, got a degree. My first job out of college was doing anything that needed to be done at a small (16 people) company that made blood tests, outside of the labs. I was the only non "lab rat" so I did a lot of different stuff, which was good because I got lots of different experiences. Things like: packing boxes, inventory, sweeping floors, shipping, receiving, I even remember patching holes in sheetrock and working on a copier one time. At the time I think I made $.50 above minimum wage with my newly minted degree. After about a year and a minimal increase I looked and found another job in operations. Had to move with my new wife from NY to TX, but we were planning on that anyway. Was at that job for about 3 years, got promoted twice and then the company got shut down due to the owner being somewhat shady. Found a better job, this time moved from Dallas to South Carolina, took advantage of every bit of training and additional education that this large multinational corp offered and after 3 years at that job I had a recruiter contact me about an opportunity in Memphis as an Ops Mgr. I was at that job for almost 8 years. While at that job the company paid for my MBA. We got tired of trying to raise our two kids around the Memphis area, so I started looking again. Two and a half years ago I found a job where I am at today in North TX. I manage a couple of plants here and work for a good company and have great bosses.

So all this is to say: Opportunities are out there. A degree and subsequent post grad degree has helped me as I wouldn't have had most of my positions without one, but when I started, I was making pretty much squat and I was as low on the totem pole as I could be where I started. I moved up because I am ambitious, willing to take some risks, move if necessary to achieve personal goals (that has somewhat changed since my kids are now 10 and 8 and I don't want to keep moving them around), work my ass off to get to where I want to be and have a little luck/the good Lord putting opportunities "in my way".

I have friends who don't have degrees who make more than me - I am proud for them!! I know folks who make a whole lot less, but who are happy every day because they are doing what they want to do or are happy because they are their own boss. Also - awesome for them! We are entitled to nothing, but are given opportunities galore if you want to do what is necessary to achieve your goals.

A few global stats for those, me included that think we are under paid.
$47,500 annually puts you in the global elite, that's the top 1% per person.
$11,344 is the poverty level in the US and that will put you in top 13% per person.
Those are global numbers but things could be allot worse then starting out at minimum wage.
Good jobs are hard to find in my area WV. The liquid gas plant that I've been working in the last 2 1/2 years is shutting down the division I'm in. It looks like I will be going back on the line repairing and painting cars for customers and dealing with Ins companies. It sucks but it could be worse.
We live in a truly blessed country...

[/quote]

And sloppily make out with older chicks

tyldyl12 said:
And sloppily make out with older chicks

Yes! I forgot to mention that. Hooked up with a girl two years older. Then the same age. then two years younger. Maybe you shouldn't let your daughter go on any youth trips. Cause dang, even church trips were fun... I lost a girlfriend from a church trip I did not go on! She hooked up with another dude in the group. LOL.