• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

stac ? atlas ? dana 300 ?

I originally had a D20 (2.02 low range in my CJ). When I wanted lower off road gears, I transplanted the low range (2.46) from the Bronco version of the D20 into my t-case. That case then grenaded. So I rebuilt another case identical to my first one, and that one also grendaded.

At that time, I sourced a D300 from an 80 Scout Diesel, as the Scout D300 had the 'Texas' bolt pattern and would be a direct bolt up, other than the bull gear and shifters. I ran the D300 (2.7 low) until I sold the CJ. The Scout version of the D300 doesn't allow you to 'clock' the Tcase upwards, so ground the skid plate was lower than it neccessarily needed to be, but the 2.7 low range was pretty damn good for my application.

When I went to build the next rig, I bought an Atlas. It was fairly new on the market, and I chose 4.3 low range, installed into a YJ behind a TH400 (AMC version) transmission. The case has held up, and if anything was perhaps a little too low geared.

When I built my most current rig, I considered both the Atlas and the Stak. The Stak gearing ratios suck. I wanted a 2.7 geared rig (because it worked so well in my CJ) and a 3.8 geared rig (because that works well in my YJ - the current 4.3 is a little too low), and the 4 speed Atlas gives me both. If I were to get the Stak, I would have had a much lower 'low' gear. And in my application, here in the PNW, with trips down to Moab, I'm glad with my selection.

T

have a tj but looking too change transfercase ... on a buget but question is..
On a budget Stak, and Atlas shouldnt even be in the same sentence. On a budget a well built 300 will hold up to most averager wheelers for quite a long time. For the more hardcore guys that truly beat their shiat the Atlas or Stak is a better option over the long haul.:;

The 300 will hold up to lots of banging but like Mauler said "time bomb" thats not what I wanted for my car.

You missed the part about a 300 WITH 32 SPLINE OUTPUTS! I flog the ever living **** out of my 300 with no problems. ripped a few driveline u joints apart, blew apart a few driveline yoke's, and tore the splines out of a driveline. What dana 300 did you break? why the hate for 300's? I have a bucket full of 300 part's that will get me back together in an hour, do you have a bucket full of atlas part's? Don't get me wrong, if I could afford an atlas I would own one ( I WILL OWN A STAK 300 BEFORE AN ATLAS), but I definitely don't hate on 300's either.

You missed the part about a 300 WITH 32 SPLINE OUTPUTS! I flog the ever living **** out of my 300 with no problems. ripped a few driveline u joints apart, blew apart a few driveline yoke's, and tore the splines out of a driveline. What dana 300 did you break? why the hate for 300's? I have a bucket full of 300 part's that will get me back together in an hour, do you have a bucket full of atlas part's? Don't get me wrong, if I could afford an atlas I would own one ( I WILL OWN A STAK 300 BEFORE AN ATLAS), but I definitely don't hate on 300's either.

the guys in the d300 club always get touchy toward the atlas club members but I can understand it is a whole nother level to step up to an atlas these days :fawkdancesmiley:

the guys in the d300 club always get touchy toward the atlas club members but I can understand it is a whole nother level to step up to an atlas these days :fawkdancesmiley:

nope if I were to build a big fat assed car I would most def buy an atlas. I dig the size and minimal weight of a stak 300. Having an atlas is having the best of the best, but calling a 300 a pos is not true.

nope if I were to build a big fat assed car I would most def buy an atlas. I dig the size and minimal weight of a stak 300. Having an atlas is having the best of the best, but calling a 300 a pos is not true.
why did you stop at just the d300 you should have put toyota axels in your buggy so its not a big fat ass:flipoff:

I sure hope they fix the stack d300 shifting problem that Tracey has. I ran d300 stock for a long time and it worked awsome but when it was time step it up there was only one clear choice it was an atlas.:cool:

I think weight is--like anything else a big factor. If I was to drive my rig like yours or mauler--I am sure my 300 would have gone boom long ago. But I like the size and weight of my 300 and would love a stak case for it.

Of course on the flip side, regardless of the subject, the guys who dropped a bunch of coin on the absolute best product always get touchy when it's pointed out that their gear isn't always that much better than the other options and that many of them don't really need the added level of performance/capability that they paid for anyhow.

Of course on the flip side, regardless of the subject, the guys who dropped a bunch of coin on the absolute best product always get touchy when it's pointed out that their gear isn't always that much better than the other options and that many of them don't really need the added level of performance/capability that they paid for anyhow.

You know you just stepped on a bunch of guys balls right? I agree with you but I don't have a 300 to start modding slowly as things break and I really don't want to spend the same amount over time to have a case that's almost as good. I'll take the atlas. :D

really there is no comparison if you are going to the level of strength that d60 are when built then you best step up in the transfer case department. Yeah a 205 will work and maybe a built up d300 but these both have there set backs what are the setbacks of an atlas your wallet? do it right the first time or spend more money down the road:corn:

why did you stop at just the d300 you should have put toyota axels in your buggy so its not a big fat ass:flipoff:

I sure hope they fix the stack d300 shifting problem that Tracey has. I ran d300 stock for a long time and it worked awsome but when it was time step it up there was only one clear choice it was an atlas.:cool:
I bet my .250 wall 9's and outer stuff don't weight too much more than a toy diff.

I bet my .250 wall 9's and outer stuff don't weight too much more than a toy diff.

Dude you got a sik rig and you know that. You would not change a thing right now. But you also know that you want an atlas. They are a great product. I dont mean that a D300 is bad, it will hold up to most everything but its also lots of money to get it upgraded. These cars that we have are cutting edge and are more capable then some of us. If I was building a jeep with 44s I would use a D300 for sure. A buggy with 60s Im gona use an Atlas. I think the choice is personal... just like the ARB / Detoit guys.

Does anyone know if the Atlas leaks like the D300?

These cars that we have are cutting edge...

Please explain what makes your "car" cutting edge?

For the average wheeler a Dana300 will work juuuust fine. Hell if gearing isn't an issue and you don't neeed it...then a Dana20 with 32 spline rear output upgrade is just fine.

For the person who goes harder...Atlas, Stak, 203/205 doubler...it doesn't really matter. Every rig is different, and as long as the component is adequate...that is all that matters.

I used to think like the d300 back when I had a toyota. It was the good and you didn't need an Atlas or 60's etc.

But now that I have an Atlas and built 60's I know the toy stuff wasn't good enough :flipoff:

I chose a Stak over the Atlas for a few reasons. The ratios worked well for my setup, the price was good, and I was ordering mine right after AA had all the issues with not shipping 4 speed boxes.

I chose the Stak 3 speed Mini Monster with 2.97 & 5.22. I felt that those ratios would work best with my NV3550 manual, 5.38's, and 40's. So far I've really liked them. The Atlas 4 speed gear options seemed to be a little too close or too far apart. Although I do know a few people that have them and they like them.

Like Maverick said, it's kind of a brand thing. I had ARB's before and have Detroit's now. I didn't switch to Detroit's because they are better, I got them because my front 60 had one in it when I bought it and I got a great deal on one for the rear. I got my Stak because I got a good deal on it and thought it would fit my purposes.

One thing I will say though is that Stak's "TJ Specific" shifter is a piece of ****. I will probably be switching it out for NWFab cable shifters.

Latest posts