• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Starting/running issues - TPI Chevy 350

Bobbo3234

I have a TPI Chevy 350 in my jeep and have been running into issues keeping it running. The jeep was out of commision for the past two years until I have attampted to start it up again in the past month.

I have recently installed a new fuel cell and had some issues with the pump but got that all figure out. Once I was able to build pressure in the system the jeep started up almost instantly. Ran smooth at idle and did not bog down when I gave it some gas (no load - still in park).

After replacing a radiator hose and letting it sit a week, I haven't been able to get the jeep to start up on its own (with a little starting fluid it will start up). Fuel pressure sits at 40 PSI with the pump turned on, 35 psi at idle. Tried to take it for a short run around the block after using a little starting fluid and it died on and wouldn't start up again.

The one thing that has changed to the jeep since i drove it into a garage two years ago is the fuel system. I am now using a fuel cell w/ the same external pump. I currently do not have the vapor line running to the old tank hooked up to the cell. This is just capped off currently.

Could the vapor lines be causing these issues? Where else should I start?

Last edited:
I currently do not have the vapor line running to the old tank hooked up to the cell. This is just capped off currently.

Could the vapor lines be causing these issues? Where else should I start?

Return line or vent line? You have to have a return line and it has to be unobstructed.

these chevy fuel systems are very tempremental when it comes to fuel pressure check the spec and make sure its rite there, ive seen tons of them that were just a couple pounds low that would start with starting fluid and run fine once started, and alot of times if they sit for a few hours they will fire up.

I think you need 43 lbs of pressure if i recall correctly. what pump are you using? i ran a fuel cell with an inline pump and then went with an intank pump and much happier with that set-up

using the MSD 2225. Looking through the manuals it looks like my engine ('89) operates at 35-39 PSI and '90 or 01' and later at 41 PSI and up. Could be wrong.